Pages

Monday, October 31, 2016

Play - Oh what fun - July Hip Kit

Hi there...so today I experimented and I played.  It took absolute ages but I am thrilled with the result.  I wanted to make a layout with stars cut out and backed with vellum and then a sort of shaker pocket.  The first time I made it I didn't add a foam layer between the paper layers and it was one huge flop...so I tried again and here is my page.  I adore this candid photo of Stefan with Bella...they cannot leave each other alone...ever!

Supply list:  Patterned papers:  Hip Kit Exclusives by Kim Watson; Cardstock: American Craft:  Vellum: American Craft; Wood Veneer; Pink Paislee (Paige Evans), Studio Calico: Flair: Hip Kit; Die cuts: Project life American Craft, Hip Kit Exclusives; Sequins: Crate Paper (Cute Girl); Rubber charm: Pink Fresh Studio: Puffy Sticker: Hip Kit Exclusive; Clear Stickers: Simple Stories; Embroidery Floss: DMC Variegated; Twine: Coats; Dies: QuicKutz nesting stars; Silhouette Cameo.

Some close ups:
 I didn't want to cover all my hard work...so I placed the photo stack below my stitched stars.  I also used the rubber Pink Fresh charm from an older kit.

I love the way my shaker boxes looks on the page.  

 I made the tag with a Project Life card and then layered a lot of Ephemera from the June kit's Project life ephemera pack.  I added one of the Paige Evans wood veneers between the layers and added the puffy "It was Epic!" sticker from the June kit on the top.   I love how well the kits coordinate.

 You can see that I used many layers behind my photo.

 The flair is also a Hip Kit Exclusive.

Do to the fact that I can't seem to make a page without stitching these days I decided to give you a quick tutorial on how I made my shaker box stars.  You need a piercing mat, paper piercer, stitching template/or steel ruler to pierce your holes...and then your floss.  There is just so many awesome options to choose from.
I first cut the stars with my Silhouette Cameo and then pierced my holes relatively close together.

 Pretty variegated thread and stitched in back stitch.

 You can see I backed my paper with vellum.  I always secure the end of my thread with old washi tape.

 Then start stitching.

 That is how back stitch works.  

 You can see the back is no way as neat as the front.

I then used some QuicKutz nesting stars to cut stars into a piece of foam and trimmed it to a bit larger than my stars and stuck it down.

 Now the fun stuff...adding the sequins to each star.

 Stars cut with the Silhouette Cameo  in a larger size than the background stars and then stuck over each star to make individual shaker boxes.

...and just like that...a whole lot of prettiness.

Thank you for visiting my blog today.  If you found inspiration here today please share it with me.♥♥


14 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that snapshot is fabulous. And of course, everything you added is fabulous as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwwwwwwwww! This is amazing! LOVING that you turned this page into a shaker page and LOVING that photo!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your layout is amazing. So worth the time you took to create it. Fabulous job, Lynette!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Picking my jaw up off the floor here Lynette! What a labour of love to create this stunning page. LOVE the result! I can relate to little boys and dogs; they make a dynamic duo. You should be so proud of your work, especially not giving up when the first try did not turn out the way you wanted. Thanks for the inspiration - I must give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What became wonderful friends Stephen and Bella! we say "do not spill water" - inseparable))))
    Lovely Page Lynette! I love these star-shakers!
    Thank you for the photo step-by-step)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow lots of inspiration, thanks so much for taking the time to get all the photos and put them in this blog post.. I was wondering if you backed each star or just had a huge backing and then I thought all the stars would disappear.. so thanks for sharing that.. the stitching looks wonderful and the few times I have hand stitched it was rather therapeutic and relaxing a bit like fussy cutting.. The photo is adorable and love the layers and the colors and all the cute embellies which all go so well together!! Happy November!! I hope it is a good month for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! This is sensational! I adore that variegated thread stitched around the stars. And that photo is divine! A hands-down winner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! This is sensational! I adore that variegated thread stitched around the stars. And that photo is divine! A hands-down winner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Firstly ... your photo is GORGEOUS!!!!

    And then ... Your stitching is so perfect it looks like it is done by machine ... You are such an inspiration to me ... Love everything about this page (again!!!!)!!! I need to get some variegated thread as it gives a wonderful effect to the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nononnooooooo! Not a stitching tutorial! What are you DOING to me, LOL!!!! That thread is awesome! LOOOOOVE the shaker look. VERY clever & ummmm....your backside is as neat as your front! Stitching wise, I mean....how on earth do you achieve THAT????!!! Rhetorical Q of course;) LOOOOVE that little flair. And this colour combo is my go to all time fave. GORGEOUS photo, too:):)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful layout Lynette! Super cute photo! Love the star studded background!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is a LOT of work in this layout and the results speak for themselves. It is a beautiful layout. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥