Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Lessons learned


How did I get to be 55?  
Where has time gone?

When you reach these BIG milestones you start looking back on your life...is that an age thing?  
You realise that you have used up more than half your life.  That old saying comes to mind.  "Life is like a toilet roll...the closer you come to the end the quicker it goes.

So here goes with a few lessons learned.
  1. Get your life into perspective...God comes first, everything else follows.
  2. When you have done something wrong, apologise and make it right.
  3. Treat others the way you would like to be treated.
  4. Don't wish your life away...LIVE.EACH.MOMENT.
  5. Don't ever forget that you were once young.
  6. Spend as much time as you can in the company of children.
  7. Giving the "silent treatment" never works, some people like silence.
  8. Be humble, you will always have something that you still need to learn.
  9. When things go wrong, remember that God is still in control.
  10. Suffering has a beginning and thankfully an end.
  11. You don't need to do everything yourself...ask for help.
  12. Avoid sales...like the plague...actually avoid shops!
  13. Remember to RSVP when you are invited to an event...it is the right thing to do.
  14. Accept those invites or else they will stop coming.
  15. Listen to your children...they sometimes know more than you do.
  16. Nothing can top a good laugh...do it often.
  17. Be good to your body. Your body will be good to you.
  18. Embrace the things that come with age...wrinkles, grey hair...it shows you have lived.
  19. Fill your car's tank, don't assume that you will make it there. 
  20. If you have to visit public restrooms...check for toilet paper before you sit.
  21. Don't stop trying new things...life is an adventure.
  22. Life isn't always about you.
  23. You can't always get what you want.
  24. Look inside boxes before you throw them out. Valuable things may disappear.
  25. Don't overspend...save for your old age.  (hehe...had to add that one)
  26. Don't make debt...it will drain the joy out of your life. (that excludes the house and the car)
  27. Trust your instincts...I always believe it is the Holy Spirit that is prompting.
  28. Staying up late is not an option. My body reminds me of this the next day.
  29. Don't procrastinate...make decisions...even if they don't always work out.
  30. Don't have expectations of people...that way you avoid disappointments.
  31. Count your blessings...yes be thankful even for the air you breathe.
  32. If there is a choice to be right or be kind...be kind.
  33. There will be bad days...that doesn't mean it is the end of the world.
  34. If you feel overwhelmed...get in the shower and have a good cry.  Guaranteed you will feel better.
  35. Enjoy your food..and have that pudding.
  36. Keep your nose out of other people's business. 
  37. Give something to someone...even if it is just a smile.
  38. Try to make life easier for somebody else.
  39. Don't judge a book by its cover. Nor people by their outside appearance. 
  40. Choose to be happy.
  41. Forgive quickly...it is good for your soul.
  42. Breathe...slow down...live in the moment.
  43. Challenge yourself to see the beauty of nature as a child would.
  44. Defy instant gratification.
  45. Dance. With your spouse, with your children/grandchildren, with yourself.
  46. Instead of an SMS or a Whatsup message...phone that person on their special day.
  47. Put down the phone and really talk to who you're with.
  48. Plan a date with your spouse...fan the flame of your marriage.
  49. Don't gossip...if you do, nobody will ever trust you.
  50. Tell the truth even when it is going to get you into trouble.
  51. Resentment. Lose it...it is bound to lead to bitterness.
  52. Love without condition.
  53. Extend grace to those who don't even deserve it...remember how much grace the Lord extended to you.
  54. Nobody else carries the key to your happiness in their pocket.
  55. I'll never look back. Have no regrets.
Happy Birthday to me!!!

♥♥

17 comments:

  1. Oh, congratulations Lynette!!! 55? - Do not believe it! does not look like it...
    ... This is true - the years of do not just go, they fly ...
    Yet may they bring only joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, wow, wow - what a great list!

    Happy birthday to you, Lynette - I remember when you posted about your 50th and that seems like just yesterday!

    I have always thought about my life on birthdays but I will admit it feels more serious the older I get. maybe serious is the wrong word but I realise that we only get this one life here and I want to make it count.

    Have a big slice of chocolate cake for me!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one great list Lynette although I'm not so sure about avoiding the sales!!!!!
    Hope your birthday was a fabulous one with your family. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday and LOVING this advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great list … and once again, happy birthday, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! You are just over a year older than me! Wise words, good instruction! I hope your toilet roll slows down and lasts a long long time!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy, happy birthday Lynette and thanks for sharing your words of wisdom. They all resonate with the ring of truth. Especially like the one that says "If you have a chance to be right or kind - be kind" Perfect

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that your day was perfect. 55 is a wonderful age to be... Love your things you have learned. I still have a few to learn and yes time flies by don't wish it away. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. GRRR! My internet is playing up & I shall try ONCE MORE to leave a comment....along the lines of FABULOUS ideas for FABULOUS you. Happy birthday to you, indeedy. And the Wicked Sense of humour comes along and hopes you live to say.....95.....& you have to write NINETY FIVE things like this! Hope I'm around to see that one. Well, probably going to be 1/2 blind by then.....by hey ho. We shall see;)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you had a wonderful birthday celebration! We are celebrating too. Granddaughters birthday today and her mothers tomorrow! So many Jan. Birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated birthday, Lynnette. I hope it was the start of a wonderful year. That is a great list - I'd sum it up as strive to make others happy and you will be happy too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a fantastic list!! And important reminders

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww.... happy birthday, what a post! I must learn the "silent treatment" part!

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO many wise words and great advice! Happy happy birthday my friend. May your year be blessed beyond words

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday Lynette! What a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I missed you birthday! Happy belated birthday my friend. I know now that you had a lovely day with your children and Kobus.
    I really love your list of lessons learnt. They are lessons that one has to learn oneself. You can give your children this list but they will never learn it unless they have come to that conclusion themselves (if you know what I mean). My list would be similar to yours. i had to laugh at a few (and I learnt the hard way) like check the toilet paper in a public loo!
    Thank you for sharing,
    xx
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I missed you birthday! Happy belated birthday my friend. I know now that you had a lovely day with your children and Kobus.
    I really love your list of lessons learnt. They are lessons that one has to learn oneself. You can give your children this list but they will never learn it unless they have come to that conclusion themselves (if you know what I mean). My list would be similar to yours. i had to laugh at a few (and I learnt the hard way) like check the toilet paper in a public loo!
    Thank you for sharing,
    xx
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥