How did I get to be 55?
Where has time gone?
When you reach these BIG milestones you start looking back on your life...is that an age thing?
You realise that you have used up more than half your life. That old saying comes to mind. "Life is like a toilet roll...the closer you come to the end the quicker it goes.
So here goes with a few lessons learned.
- Get your life into perspective...God comes first, everything else follows.
- When you have done something wrong, apologise and make it right.
- Treat others the way you would like to be treated.
- Don't wish your life away...LIVE.EACH.MOMENT.
- Don't ever forget that you were once young.
- Spend as much time as you can in the company of children.
- Giving the "silent treatment" never works, some people like silence.
- Be humble, you will always have something that you still need to learn.
- When things go wrong, remember that God is still in control.
- Suffering has a beginning and thankfully an end.
- You don't need to do everything yourself...ask for help.
- Avoid sales...like the plague...actually avoid shops!
- Remember to RSVP when you are invited to an event...it is the right thing to do.
- Accept those invites or else they will stop coming.
- Listen to your children...they sometimes know more than you do.
- Nothing can top a good laugh...do it often.
- Be good to your body. Your body will be good to you.
- Embrace the things that come with age...wrinkles, grey hair...it shows you have lived.
- Fill your car's tank, don't assume that you will make it there.
- If you have to visit public restrooms...check for toilet paper before you sit.
- Don't stop trying new things...life is an adventure.
- Life isn't always about you.
- You can't always get what you want.
- Look inside boxes before you throw them out. Valuable things may disappear.
- Don't overspend...save for your old age. (hehe...had to add that one)
- Don't make debt...it will drain the joy out of your life. (that excludes the house and the car)
- Trust your instincts...I always believe it is the Holy Spirit that is prompting.
- Staying up late is not an option. My body reminds me of this the next day.
- Don't procrastinate...make decisions...even if they don't always work out.
- Don't have expectations of people...that way you avoid disappointments.
- Count your blessings...yes be thankful even for the air you breathe.
- If there is a choice to be right or be kind...be kind.
- There will be bad days...that doesn't mean it is the end of the world.
- If you feel overwhelmed...get in the shower and have a good cry. Guaranteed you will feel better.
- Enjoy your food..and have that pudding.
- Keep your nose out of other people's business.
- Give something to someone...even if it is just a smile.
- Try to make life easier for somebody else.
- Don't judge a book by its cover. Nor people by their outside appearance.
- Choose to be happy.
- Forgive quickly...it is good for your soul.
- Breathe...slow down...live in the moment.
- Challenge yourself to see the beauty of nature as a child would.
- Defy instant gratification.
- Dance. With your spouse, with your children/grandchildren, with yourself.
- Instead of an SMS or a Whatsup message...phone that person on their special day.
- Put down the phone and really talk to who you're with.
- Plan a date with your spouse...fan the flame of your marriage.
- Don't gossip...if you do, nobody will ever trust you.
- Tell the truth even when it is going to get you into trouble.
- Resentment. Lose it...it is bound to lead to bitterness.
- Love without condition.
- Extend grace to those who don't even deserve it...remember how much grace the Lord extended to you.
- Nobody else carries the key to your happiness in their pocket.
- I'll never look back. Have no regrets.
Happy Birthday to me!!!