Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2015

When life slows down...

...and you breathe real deep.


We are on holiday (vacation).  Two weeks of bliss.  I must confess the last week before our departure was hectic.  The wage envelopes had to be filled for three weeks in advance and I had to make sure that each and every payment due is scheduled and VAT and PAYE returns done.  Sometimes I actually wonder whether all the stress that lead up to a holiday is worth it.

But then we arrive at our destination...and it is as if this huge weight rolls off my shoulders...and my body goes into a totally different mode to which it is accustomed.  This is really, really my happy place.  A place where my body, mind and soul is restored and refreshed.  No stress...the biggest decision we have to make is where to go for our next meal...not too shabby :-P


Our routine quickly becomes set.  We sleep until we wake...no alarm clocks and no grandchildren banging on the door for Ouma and Oupa to wake up.  Kobus is a morning person which means that I am spoiled with coffee in bed.  We then go for a long walk on the beach.  The first morning we walked the nine kilometers from the hotel to Robberg and back.  We then decide where we want to go for a late breakfast.


On warm days we soak up the sun on the lawn of the hotel where there is also entertainment for children as well as grown ups.  Yesterday was overcast and cold and we woke up late.  So we decided to drive through to George and visit a colleague of Kobus from his Pick 'n Pay days.   Round about 4 o'clock the heavens opened up and the rain came down in buckets.  I was instantly chilled to the bone and we were off to search for a Cape Union Mart.  I needed a fleece jacket and I knew that they would be the only ones to stock it at this time of the year.  We packed for summer and the cold was unexpected and unwelcome.


I have brought enough reading material with me.  Reading is something I seldom find the time for and when we are on holiday I read until way past my bedtime and sleep late the next day.  A book is also a welcome escape if your husband is an ardent Rugby fan and he "needs" to watch all the World Cup matches.  I finished my first book "Smacked" an autobiography by Melinda Ferguson within the first day here.  It is a book that gives a lot of insight into the psyche of a drug addict and hopefully I will be more patient with the people in our care in the future.

I am now reading the latest Corban Addison book "The tears of dark water".  It is a gripping story and Kobus frequently moan at me to "put of the light" when he wants to sleep or to "get my nose out of the book" when he wants attention.  Today he is on the golf course and I can read as much as I want.  I might get time to read a few blogs too.

xx

19 comments:

  1. Enjoy your well earned holiday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you are having a wonderful time! LOVING the photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous!! Enjoy! Enjoy! Thanks for sharing some pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy, there is something about being at the beach that makes relaxation seep a little deeper into our souls I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your holiday dear friend. It's when we are quiet that we really hear God's voice. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. You deserve to rest and relax and rejuvenate your soul ... So happy you are at your "happy place". Enjoy every minute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You deserve all of it ......., the relaxing, beauty, chilling etc etc. Enjoy, xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful! Enjoy! You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sigh* I am relaxed just reading through this post. :) You look like you're absolutely calm and loving it, but you always do have that natural beautiful glow about you from the pictures you share. I hope your vacation is lovely! I'm finally fully moved (though not fully unpacked) and so will have more time to be in the bloggy world and will start to feel like myself again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving those photos. SOoooo 'get' you with the beach being the place to relax and unwind and think.....& oh, so, soooooo get you with the RUGBY factor. Have you discovered how the games MUST be watched live???!!! Been some early [2:30am] starts here for that reason. And how come if WE interrupt the rugby game we are 'shooshed'....I actually get waved outta the way! Seriously!!!..........until they are ready to interrupt our reading, LOL!!! Anyways, all in all.... who gives a TOSS. It is just lovely that you have this time to do the R&R well and truly to the hilt. OH! And we had a cold snap here. WEIRD:/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I am so happy for you to have this wonderful time together to recharge unwind,and refresh.. The photos are lovely, you look relaxed already! Enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holiday - it is wonderful, whatever the weather (although, who argues, it is better to be warm)
    Have a good rest, enjoy reading and walking ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh man, my comment the other day didn't post :(

    I often wonder if holidays are worth it too because of the hectic before and after! But when I look at the pics, it feels worth it.

    Love the pic of YOU! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. How awesome to be on holiday. I hope you enjoy every moment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy your holiday! Let me know what you think of The Tears of Dark Water. It sounds intriguing!
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. A rainy day on vacation still beats a good day in the office! However, I totally understand the whole concept of bone chilling cold - I do not like to be that cold! Enjoy your holiday - sounds completely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my friend - sounds like total bliss. Enjoy to the full.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is nothing like the sea, sun and sand to cleanse and refresh the soul!!!! Glad you had a super time! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥