Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Renovation dreams (Part 1)

Have I told you that we have been living in our current home for the last 27 years?
Do you know that you become blind to the faults in your home if you have lived there that long?
Do you have any idea of the clutter that you can accumulate in so many years?

If you have followed my blog long enough you would know that Kobus and I have been married for nearly 37 years...and you would also know that in all those years we have never had an empty nest.  My home was in serious need of a face lift and some tender loving care.  The interior of my home was dark with knotty pine ceilings and at least one face brick wall in each room.  So I called in the help of my uber talented friend Reynette.  She is a natural interior designer and just knows what works well together.

My kitchen is open plan to my dining room and family room. This was the BEFORE view from my kitchen:
You can see how dark the face brick walls and knotty pine ceilings made the house.

The AFTER:
We went with much lighter colours on the walls.  The face brick walls were also painted with a luxurious silk finish paint. The knotty pine ceilings were painted solid white.  The oak furniture was good and we just painted the legs and bottom of the table and dresser and left the tops untouched.  I also sold the oak chairs and replaced them with much more comfortable chairs.  Don't you just love the chandeliers?  The old carpet was replaced with the Nguni skin that was previously hidden under a coffee table.  So much lighter and brighter.

All the ornaments were previously in obscure places and was rearranged to get center stage. The blue ornaments were sent off to the charity shop ;-)

The raku meerkats were purchased on one of our vacations in Plettenberg Bay.  The one has now been captured as you can see :-)

The angel that was previously in my entrance hall was relocated as was the large pot with the white proteas that was previously at the entrance of my bedroom.

This wall is between the kitchen and the diningroom/entrance hall.

 A lick of duck egg paint and the ornaments just pop.  

 My friend painted the pots to compliment the new colour scheme.

I love these bronze ornaments and now they are actually seen.  Karen to you recognize the "breathe" word that you gave me in 2011? That was after the year from hell in 2010 and my word to live by for 2011 was to just to "breathe" deeply again.  We sure have come a long way since then.

I will share the next part of my renovation dreams next week.  This is bound to go on for a little while because the bug has bitten me and I really want to give the rest of my home the same treatment.   Shhh....don't tell Kobus ;-P

xx

27 comments:

  1. It looks AMAZING!!!!!!! I am LOVING the chandelier!!! And I love the meerkats too!! They are my fave animal!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow !!! Lynette the miraculous transfiguration!
    Of course, with these light shades of paint on the walls and furniture, it was a lot better than it was before ... - more air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Lynette! Love those bronze stattues

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! Hard to believe it is the same space

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks like HGTV! You and your friend did a fantastic job! My mom has that same knack with decorating. I just love every detail! awesomeness!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMAZING how light and airy it feels now compared to before. We've been here 10 years and it feels like I need to overhaul everything. To be fair, we've only painted 4 rooms and the outside once during that time :)

    Can't wait to see the rest of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL....love that last comment.....can you come do mine, please? Just on 20 years and it's all looking v tired. I ADORE your makeover.... thanks for sharing! I especially love that 'window mirror' and the way you've painted the bricks. AND the chairs look gorgeous, as does the painting of the furniture! No wonder you're thrilled and want to keep going :):)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this is beautiful Lynette! You must be loving it. It is so light and breezy! Thanks for sharing the reno. I love before and after photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a great transformation! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Your home looks amazing! I am sure you feel like you are living in a resort! I hope it adds a freshness and new life to,you all.. You can come over here when you are done and do my home! We have been here 25 years and one day we will have to do some Reno! Have special moments this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow...what a transformation Lynette! The new look is stunning and definitely open and airy! Soooo beautiful! You did an awesome job! Good luck with the rest of the renovations.....and pssssst...I won't tell Kobus!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely stunning. It's amazing how much difference a lick of paint can give a room. And the simple changes like painting the table and dresser legs - I can't believe what a difference that makes. It's inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh. my. golly! When are you getting your own HGTV show? I can't believe how drastically that's modernized the look of things!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a stunning transformation!!! WTG!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! What an amazing new room. I absolutely love the light and airy feel it has now. We have moved around a lot because John was in the army, but we have actually lived in our present home for the past 10 years. You should see all of the stuff we have accumulated so I can only imagine what 27 years would bring. I cannot wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done! The lighter colors make the rooms look bigger and brighter. When I see these light-filled rooms, they make me think of South African sunshine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely stunning! What a transformation! What a difference a lighter colour makes! I love the way you painted the bottom half of the table and dresser and left the beautiful wood visible.
    I can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely stunning Lynette!!! Oh how the bright walls just light everything up in your gorgeous space!!! I totally understand about accumulating "stuff". I need a good decorator just to rearrange my "stuff" to make my rooms look new again!! That mirror on the wall is amazing!! Like a window to let in more light!! Your friend did an amazing job!! Can she come to Florida??? Love love...xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazing transformation. It is so much lighter and brighter - must make you happy to just walk around. I especially love that you partially painted the oak table and sideboard. And those painted pots by your friend are fabulous. I won't tell Kobus, but I hope you keep going. Isn't it nice to give new life to things you already have by moving them around!! Of course, a few new additions are always nice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, wow, wow! I love how light and bright everything is now. And that chandelier is divine. Everything seems so serene.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, it looks so warm and light and inviting. Love the new look, well done. I am looking forward to part 2 ...... xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an amazing home! Beautiful transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an amazing home! Beautiful transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic! We lightened everything up this time last year and t's so much better isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥