Pages

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Looking back on 2014


I know...I know.
I haven't been around much lately.
I am not even going to make excuses for my absence.
My first priority will ALWAYS be the Mission and the calling on my life.
This has been a tough...tough year and still I can't believe that it is nearly over.
Life is truly like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end the quicker it goes :-)

At this time of the year I love to look back on our journey through this year in our lives.  At the beginning of the year my word to live by was "Eucharisteo". Eucharisteo, thanksgiving, envelopes the Greek word for grace, charis. But it also holds its derivative, the Greek word chara, meaning  joy.” 

This proved to be "hard" thanksgiving from the get go.  On the very first day of this year we took people from the Mission on an outing that resulted in two of the young men drowning. A wake-up call on the first day of the year that life is fragile and precious.  At times like these we have to make a choice...we can give up and wallow in self pity or we can get up and praise God in the circumstances. Over these past 16 years in full time ministry we have learned that when things fall apart we need to run to the One who holds everything together.

Life for us is never boring or dull.  This year held indescribable heartache and indescribable joy.  We have had the heartache of seeing little children abandoned by their parents...we have had the joy of seeing families reconciled and reunited.  We have had the heartache of death due to drowning and death due to drugging...and we have had the joy of seeing people walk the road of healing from addictions. We had the heartache of people choosing to live in darkness and we have had the joy of people choosing to live in the light. Life is filled with joy and with pain and we have to choose not to numb the pain and continue living.

I can look back on this year and thank the Lord for the sorrow and the joy.  I can thank Him for walking with us through every storm this year held. I am thankful for the love that always, always surround me.  I am thankful that He shows me beauty in many unexpected places.  I am thankful that the Lord chose to call us to head up the Mission and touch the lives of the broken people that He has placed in our care.  I am thankful for my beautiful children and grandchildren...a constant source of joy to me...I am truly blessed.

xxx 

22 comments:

  1. Do you know what comes from this post to me... you are THANKFUL.. you can still say... you are thankful.. after all you have been through.. you are able to be thankful.... you find the most important things.. and you are thankful.. you are not giving up, you are not blaming someone else, you are wearing the year... and you are thankful... I am always in awe of the shepherds who came to worship the tiny babe.. these shepherds would have been lowly, dirty, farm workers, insignificant perhaps to many of that day.. they would have known hardships, poverty, danger, but they came to worship, and give thanks.. and then they went back to their fields and their flocks and their lives and we really dont hear any more about them.. except that forever we do know they came and they gave thanks.. and worshiped.. and every Christmas I too really just want to touch base with God and worship Him and say thank you.. I pray that even after all you have been through this year... you can worship and give thanks and know that nothing done in Jesus Name is ever gone un-noticed by God... Bless you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Lizzy says!!! I always seem to follow her on the comments here.....& what can I say that she's already said so brilliantly? I do hope 2015 is a bit calmer & maybe a TAD slower, so you can smell a rose every now & then.....& I must say, I really like the toilet roll analogy. Never heard that one before!!!! Take care now:) And blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always touched and inspired when I come to your blog, Lynette. Our family has been through some of the hardest times it has even been through this past year, and I can honestly say that we have so much to be thankful for, too. One think I know I am thankful for is that God brought me to you! HUGS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post Lynette! Touching and full of faith for 2015!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We shall always always always have things to be thankful. Life will always throw challenges our way but the Lord will see us through and we shall be victorious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish that the pain and sorrow left in this year, and New Year brought more joy and love in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can only say Amen my friend. A million times

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much truth here Lynette. Life is such a mix of joy and pain. Our Lord is always with us to carry us through the hard times and to celebrate the blessings. I hope you and your family have a lovely Christmas season. ~ Blessings, Tracey

    Garden of Grace

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wondered who would be the first one to do the recap posts :) You win!

    Oh Lynette, it's so true that good and bad are all mixed up but through it all, HE is still the same. Like Momastery says, life is brutiful (beautiful and brutal) and there's nothing wrong with that; it's just how it is. Do you read her blog?

    I'm hoping for an uneventful end of year and start to the new year......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for always shining the light in the right direction. Toward our Lord and Saviour. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH YESSS we would talk and talk.. and even better if we were head down just walking along one of those beautiful beaches you sometimes put on your blog.. hehe.. .. sending prayers for peace.. I dont know why.. but the word PEACE just came to me to send to you!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like this quote. So very true that pain and joy are always in our lives. It is hard to believe that another year is almost done. Wishing you a wonderful 2015. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh - what a tough year for you. I hope that 2015 brings you more of the joy and less of the pain. And I love the toilet roll analogy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. To offer a helping hand to those in need takes a special kind of grace and courage. I admire what you do for the marginalised and wish you Joy and Peace at Christmas time. May 2015 be filled with all that you need to carry on your ministry x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your unshakable faith amid adversity. And I'm saying a prayer for a more joyful 2015 for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your post shines a light on how special you and K are and what a difference you make in the lives of others.

    Thank you for doing what you do!!!! Without people like you in the world there would be more lost souls out there and little people not knowing what a normal life is.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful post Lynette! May god bless you in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my friend. It's been a hard and painful year for many people. BUT. We got through it. By the Grace of God and nothing else. I ADORE this post that Robyn wrote a few months ago. Go have a read:
    http://memoirs4mymunchkins.wordpress.com/2014/03/25/thats-deep-dude/

    Here's to 2015. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. It has been quite a year of ups and downs for you, hasn't it? Hang in there, because you are in the home stretch now, with 2015 just around the corner.

    I wonder what your one little word for next year will be. Guess I'll find out in a few weeks? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is always good to reflect, you are a special person and have a special place on earth, keep up with the good work and 2015 will be better!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The end of the year is always so busy and we also had a terrible heartbreaking Novembet! All the best for Christmas xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. A great sentiment to start the post and so very true, as well! I think this year certainly had it's up and downs for many...but I am also thankful and very blessed and I really look forward to an amazing 2015! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥