Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

We have FAILED our children....

This is such a hard post to write...and I am sure it is going to be a hard post to read. Please bear with me today....I need to get this out of my system.  Sixteen years ago we asked God to "break our hearts for what breaks His".  Then He does it... and the pain is so intense that you cannot breathe....and I rage against the system that does not step in and save our children.  In a country that is all about Human Rights and Children's Rights our children have been abandoned by the system. 


Our children are NOT safe....and sometimes it feels as if nobody gives a damn. In our 16 years at the mission we have on two occasions brought Social Services in to remove children.  In both cases the children were placed back into the care of their parents. The parents were not rehabilitated and the cycle of abuse just continued.  Last week our social worker saw the one little boy at our local school.  He used to be the most mischievous little imp that lived in the Mission.  He had attitude and spunk.  Guess what?  The light had gone out in his eyes...and I know that in approximately 10 years he will come knocking on the Missions door...broken...battered and probably addicted.

What do you do when the Department tells you that you cannot open a children's home because there is enough facilities?  
What do you do when you know that children are abused and THEY tell you that there are no place in the local children's homes.  
There are no foster parents available.  The foster parents that are available only take children in for the Childcare Grant they get from the Department.  
So these children remain in the abusive situations and sometimes you are overwhelmed by feelings of helplessness.

My heart breaks when a 7 year old  always conforms to what is expected...just to be accepted...and every night she wets her bed.
My heart breaks for a 4 year old that has seen too much and now acts in explicit sexual ways.    I do not even want to think what her little eyes have seen.
My heart breaks when a 5 year old tells everyone that her mother (who abandoned her for the age old profession) is dead.
My heart breaks when I realize that it is just a matter of time before some of our teenagers become pregnant.
...and the cycle of abuse continues...

God has given us a passion for the oppressed and the abused. I don't know how we are going to do it...but we are going to have to make a difference.  Somehow the outcome for these children have to be better.

xoxo 

18 comments:

  1. My heart is breaking with you as I read this.. unfortunately your country is not alone in this.. we see news stories frequently where children end up dead at the hands of those who are supposed to care for them.. It is what is happening and it breaks good people down when they are feeling powerless.. I believe you are doing what you can, and only the love of God can change what is in the world.. I don't mean to be pessimistic but I believe it is a sign of the times..a sign of the evil age we are in , a sign of the battle raging all around us.. I pray God will strengthen you and encourage you to do what you can do and not dwell on what you cant.. but I know this does not help those precious ones who are hurting now.. If you hurt this much, how much more does Jesus hurt too.... love to you...xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the sad reality of the times we live in,. Very HEARTBREAKING

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to hear stories like these! So sad!
    There should be a better system.
    It must be very difficult to do what you do!
    Thanks goes to you who cares about them. Please do not stop doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bad people enough at all times, but there were always people with more kind heart (like you) who are ready to help. May God grant you strength in your mission work.
    And somewhere in the juvenile justice system takes the opposite of normal children, loving parents ...
    Плохих людей хватало во все времена, но всегда находились люди с большим, добрым сердцем (как у Вас), готовых прийти на помощь. Дай Бог Вам сил в работе вашей миссии.
    А где-то ювенальная юстиция наоборот забирает детей у нормальных, любящих родителей...

    ReplyDelete
  5. *sigh* this just breaks my heart ... God loves all the little children and we should too....

    ReplyDelete
  6. what you do is hard & must be heartbreaking but you are there & thats what counts. I hope you know that your work is so special & so are you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart just ached so much when I hear stories like that! : (

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart are sad upon reading what you posted here. I know that through prayer, God will show you the way to help these children. It's sad to read that there aren't any more place for these kids, in a way, there's no help for them. What breaks my heart is that these kids childhood is being taken away from them, happiness which every child deserves.
    I know God will carry you and the mission through this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So heart breaking. But the world is also a better place because of precious people like you. Just keep on with the good work you are doing.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really is incredibly sad...I know people who have come through that system. I don't know half the time how they managed to get out more or less in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for trusting us with your heart today Lynette.

    It really is sad that kids get put back into the care of their abusive parents ~ it is a cycle that is really difficult to break when you have your own children unless you can be strong enough to change that for yourself.

    The system in our country is a total failure and unless more people do what you and Kobus do there are going to be more and more broken adults who will just continue the cycle of abuse as they grow up. I used to work at Cotlands before my son was born and used to come home every time I visited crying my eyes out with childhood memories. I wish we had to get a license to have children!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for being focused on what really matters, and reminding us that we all need to as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My hart sit hier in my keel vriendin

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know that everything you say is true Lynette and it breaks my heart. It's such a cruel world for children to be born into. God bless organisations like yours who try so hard to make a difference. Big hugs to you my friend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can only imagine that it must be so hard to see all of this..and not be able to do anything about it. But I think that you are making a difference and that somehow somewhere...an influence or a kind word, whatever...must somehow allow for a break in the vicious circle...and hopefully somehwere, somehow with the grace of God, someone gets a break or makes a life change. That's all one can hope and pray for....Blessing to you girl and to everyone you touch! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. All the bureaucracy & red tape is ridiculous & awful & Thank God for people like you who strive to overcome it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A child's best interests are of paramount importance in every matter concerning the child.

    My heart breaks when this doesn't happen. It is not only the system that fails us but people too.

    “The wolf shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the young goat, and the calf and the lion and the fattened calf together; and a little child shall lead them.” (Isaiah 11:6 ESV)

    ReplyDelete
  18. A child's best interests are of paramount importance in every matter concerning the child.

    My heart breaks when this doesn't happen. It is not only the system that fails us but people too.

    “The wolf shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the young goat, and the calf and the lion and the fattened calf together; and a little child shall lead them.” (Isaiah 11:6 ESV)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥