Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014 - My One Little Word

This was meant to be a happy, happy blog post.  I am however, sitting here feeling totally numb, my eyes are leaky and my heart is heavy.  This morning a large group of people from the Mission were taken on an outing to the beach.  They weren't there long when a few of the young men got into trouble with a riptide.  One of them was saved, one drowned and at the time I am writing this there is still one young man missing. The young men and women who come to the Mission becomes like our family...our sons and daughters.  I am totally gutted.

This awful news makes the sharing of my word so very, very hard.  Today is going to be hard eucharisteo for me.  The book by Ann Voskamp "One Thousand Gifts" inspired the word and impacted my life in a big way.  I truly want to LIVE FULLY right where I am.

The word that chose me this year is EUCHARISTEO—it comes out of the Gospel of Luke: “And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them…” (Luke 22:19 NIV). In the original language, “He gave thanks” reads “eucharisteo.”

The root word of eucharisteo is charis, meaning “grace.” Jesus took the bread and saw it as grace and gave thanks. He took the bread and knew it to be gift and gave thanks. Eucharisteo, thanksgiving, envelopes the Greek word for grace, charis. But it also holds its derivative, the Greek word chara, meaning “joy.” Charis. Grace. Eucharisteo. Thanksgiving. Chara. Joy.  So you can see why I chose the Greek word....it is so much more than just thanksgiving.  Also that Eucharisteo (Thanksgiving) always precedes the miracle. I want to live a life of grace in God, seeing His gifts and thanking Him for it.  I know that then I will know true joy.
Today I am starting my 1000 gifts list. Part of the Joy Dare on Ann Voskamp's website. Ann writes: “Learn how to be thankful-whether empty or full.  Gratitude in the midst of death and divorce and debt-that’s the language I’ve got to learn to speak-because that’s the kind of life I’m living, the kind I have to solve.  If living eucharisteo is the key to unlocking the mystery of life, this I want.  I want to hunt, the long sleuth, the careful piecing together.  To learn how to be grateful and happy, whether hands full or hands empty.  That is a secret worth spending a life on learning.“  My prayer is that the Lord will show me His joy today.
Have you chosen a word for this year? 

32 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear your tragic news. My thoughts go to their family and friends.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey special lady, You and K and close in my thoughts and prayers. Praying God's blessings on the young people's families as well.

    Your word for 2014 is very powerful. As a result of your post on the book I went out and got it and have started it slowly and am hoping to really get into it in the next week.

    God bless you and the Mission in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is a life changing experience xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh dear Lord! This made me cry!!! Praying for strength for you all. I'm really sorry to read about the beach incident.

    I don't do word of the year but rather choose a few bible verses that speak to me and make them my armour for the yr. 2013 was Hebrews 11:1 and Jeremiah 29:11. I'm sure I'll have my something in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear your tragic news .... praying for all at the Mission and for the person who is still missing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. dankie en al my simpatie.................... ek weet hoe mense DEEL van jou kan word. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hulle was so jonk net 17 en 23. So tragies.

      Delete
  6. Oh my dear. I will continue to pray.
    I LOVE your word. In fact, I think I need to get that book.
    I have chosen my word. Will blog in a bit.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get that book. I ordered the devotional too. I will need it with this word.

      Delete
  7. I am sorry to hear that Lynette, hope they find the young man soon! Big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry. We have the same thing here in Durbs. I hope they find the missing man soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He couldn't swim. We don't know if they will recover his body.

      Delete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear about your mission family. Big hugs from Canada! I LOVE your word for the year! I have seen a lot of words for OLW and this is my favourite! I just started to follow your blog! I am looking forward to seeing more of your projects and hearing more about Eucharisteo. I am doing OLW this year for the first time also! I am really excited to start this journey :) Love Ann Voskamp and the Joy Dare too! I will be participating in this also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my journey Sarah. I am looking forward to journey with you on the OLW project.

      Delete
  10. I'm sorry ... such sad news ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. So very sorry to hear of this tragedy. Big hugs! I am so glad to know that you have our Lord walking by your side through this. May you find peace and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear this tragic news Lynette! I hope the missing person is found, to give good news to a sorrowful situation! And I wanted to wish your family a blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear of the tragic event at the beach. I hope the missing man is found safe. Love your word choice. It is always so important to find the positive in the hard days too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry to hear the tragic news. May his spirit be eternal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such tragic news Lynette. I am so very sorry. Your word is wonderful & one I have not hear of before. Happy New Year & may it be all plain sailing from here! Or at least may it make you grow & learn. At least we know that whatever happens to us is God's plan for us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Lynette, I'm so sorry for your tragic loss. May our Lord give you his love and grace to carry you through this difficult loss. Thanks for sharing your special word. Hugs and prayers. Blessings, Tracey

    Garden of Grace

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so sorry about the accident. I haven't chose my word yet, don't know if I will as I am someone who changes her mind often times throughout the year to adapt to situations :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Lynette, I am so sorry to hear of your tragedy there. My heart just goes out to you all as you get through this.

    I love your word - I would like to adopt it, however I will instead ask God to give me my own for this year instead. I was reflecting back on my word for last year and it's pretty cool how it actually was relevant all the way through and I was conscious of it the whole year too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LG. I would love to hear what word the Lord gives you for 2014. xxx

      Delete
  19. So sorry to hear of this tragic news Lynette! Riptides are certainly very scary and I have one or twice in my life had to work very hard to keep from drifting away. I have a great respect for the ocean! I hope they can find the missing young man! In the midst of all this sorrow, it is great to know your word for 2014. It is a wonderful word and I wish you many blessings as you journey through this year! We give thanks that even in times of sorrow and loss, that we are blessed beyon measure and loved beyond measure! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding his body will bring closure...we are praying for that.

      Delete
  20. I am so very sorry to hear this terrible news. My heart goes out to you and to all of the families of these people. I can only imagine your feelings right now. Did they find the missing young man yet? The OLW that God sent to you is a perfect one. I just picked mine, too, because my family has had it's share of illness these past few months - it is "believe."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Sharon, his body hasn't yet been recovered. He is presumed dead as he could not swim.

      Delete
  21. Oh I am so sorry to hear of this dreadful thing that has happened.. I pray God will give you all the comfort at this terrible time of great loss.. Never the less I do hope you can still find some joy in this circumstance.. The Lord gives and the Lord takes away.. Blessed be the Name of the LORD...xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Lynette, I am sorry to hear the news. It is so very hard to find the grace and joy and thanksgiving in tragedy. My own faith is problematic, but I do have faith that you will find it.....through yours. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am sorry for your sadness, but you have picked a beautiful word for 2014....peace and blessings to you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥