Pages

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

You & Me - Scrap Africa - 7Gypsies

Hallo, I hope you are doing well.  Sadly I haven't had the time to edit and upload my vacation photos.  I haven't even had time to check up on what is happening on my favourite blogs.  Hopefully my life will be less hectic by this weekend and I will be able to play catch up.

It is time for the next challenge on Scrap Africa.  The challenge is to use some form of resist on your page.  Now, to be honest...I was a tad anxious about this one.  I have never done a layout with resist.  Then I came across some Bazzill resist papers in my stash.  Yes, my stash is THAT extensive.  A few years ago when mists became all the rage Bazzill brought out a number of different patterned white resist papers.  So I decided to take the easy way out and use this paper.

Here is my layout.  The photo is of my son Wynand and his little Lukie.
Supply list:  Cardstock:  Bazzill resist; Patterned paper:  7Gypsies Savannah Journal Pack; Title and flourishes:  Silhouette Cameo; Trims:  Prima;  Flowers:  Prima; Pearls:  Upikit; Other:  PanPastels in Raw Umber, Turquoise Shade, Paynes Grey, White;  Texture paste, Ranger colorwash mists in Sailboat blue and Butterscotch.

I have to be honest and say that when the background was complete I was ready to tear it up.  It looked like a hot mess.  I first shaded the PanPastels over the background  and could see the resist stripes clearly.  I then set it with an artist fixative.  The next step was the misting and I went about it all wrong.  I didn't wait for the one colour to dry before applying the next and the result was that the Butterscotch and the Blue mixed to form green that I just didn't want.

The next day I started just stacking the paper pieces and photos where I wanted it and decided to just go for it.  The file folders were part of the 7Gypsies Journal pack and I just cut it slightly smaller.

I first didn't want to put flowers onto this layout.  But then decided on this flourish and flower cluster.  After toning down the flowers with some Gesso I actually started loving it.  

This is the sketch I used by Karan Gerber of Sketchabilities.

Please join in the fun.

We have some goodies up for grabs for a random winner too!


You have until the 31st October to upload your project.

16 comments:

  1. WOW Lynette! I absolutely love what you did with this challenge. Your background looks spectacular!!! And I really like the photo and how you cropped it, too! Awesome layout, as always, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely layout and the back ground looks wonderful.. the photo and embellies all combine to make this layout completely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous!!! I love love love the colors, the misting, the layers and that precious photo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me smile with your creative disaster/recovery story as I did the same thing on Saturday with watercolours! Your layout certainly looks amazing now and you should be pleased with yourself for turning it around to a positive. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a super beautiful page Lynette!! Love the background!! and what a priceless photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful layout, Lynette! Much love! And such a charming photos guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ABSOLUTELY STUNNING layout Lynette!!!! You are super talented and thanks for sharing that with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Firstly you changed your photo to your blog, very lovely!!! i think you did a fab job of this challenge, even if you took the easy way out ;) The colours are lovely and such a precious photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading your post! Well you would never know it looked like a "hot mess" because it turned out sensational! This is my all time favourite layout!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful Lynette!! I love the Mixed Media you used and I think the flower cluster was the perfect touch!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A gorgeous page Lynette and so pleased you did not tear up that background! It turned out absolutely beautifully and love the colouring! Just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning in every way Lynette! I love the background and the 'toned down' flowers. It all looks wonderful together. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi friend - how are you enjoying being back to reality? Have you been enjoying your Tissue Oil?
    I love this layout and the previous one - I am more a 'cathy zielske' style scrapper when I do scrapbook (its been how many years now since I last scrapbooked?) but these are so gorgeous. As I always so, you inspire me :-)
    Hope you're having a fabulous Saturday
    Hugs 'n kisses
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful layout Lynette! Love the textured background and beautiful blossoms! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥