Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Puppy Love - Sketch Week - Mixed Media

I am playing along with Allison Davis and Sketch Week again. I really went totally overboard with a mixed media twist to Allison's sketch as you will see ;-)  I used photos of my grandson Christian with the puppies their dogs, Nina (a ridge back) and Baron (Great Dane) had earlier this year.


Supplies used:  Mixed media paper; Bazzill cardstock; Patterned papers:  Basic Grey Serenade; Journal prompt and Joy quote:  Basic Grey Serenade; Stickers used for the banner:  Basic Grey Serenade; brads: Basic Grey Serenade; Title and paper piecing:  Silhouette Cameo; Other:  Texture paste, Stencils, Watercolor paints, Panpastels, twine.

Make sure you go grab the September free sketch at the Scrapbook Generation online store. It's the sketch that I used as a starting point for my layout and looks like this:
I varied my layout quite a bit.  


Variation #1:  Instead of the large background piece, I stenciled some texture paste through a brick stencil to make my background block.  The width of my bricks are approximately 5 inches.  I used the inspiration of the star on the corner of my bricks.  I used PanPastels to shade my bricks and the star and then set it with artists fixative.

Variation #2:  Instead of using horizontal paper strips I used to strands of twine at the top and the bottom of my bricks.    I love the way the little dog is peeking over the brick wall ;-)

Variation #3:  I used two 3x4 photos instead of three and I used them landscape instead of portrait.  

Variation #4:  I painted some aqua and lime watercolor paint below the bricks and then used my heat tool to make it run.  I used little flags that came with my Basic Grey Serenade kit to make the banner underneath the photos.

Variation #5:  I splattered some of the aqua and lime paint on the bottom and top part of the layout and then gave the white space a little brush of PanPastel in aqua.

All in all I am very happy with how this layout turned out.

xoxo

26 comments:

  1. Gorgeous page, Lynette!! Love your bricks and sweet puppy image!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    Garden of Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning Lynette, the perfec design to showcase the lovely photos.
    Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you certainly look as though you had great fun creating this layout (messy fingers by any chance?) Such a great boys layout and still see the sketch in it. You weren't tempted to have one of those adorable puppies then? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very messy fingers...I used my fingers for a lot of that techniques :-D

      I wasn't tempted to take one of the puppies...although they were beautiful. I still remember when Nina (the ridge back) ate my Blackberry. I am now in the space where I happily go on vacation without worries about animals.

      Delete
  4. WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!! I cannot wait for the day I can phone you and say "I am on my way for a lesson!!!" This layout is absolutely SPECTACULAR!!!!!!

    You are an absolute inspiration!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful layout Lynette! love the brick wall! and dog on it. Adorable puppies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute one! I like how you made the bricks--what a great background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhhhhhhhh I love love love love this!! LOVING the photos, the puppy and loveeeeeeee the bricks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this is so gorgeous! I love the brick wall and the puppy, and the photos are adorable too.. love the back ground mists and drips too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool!! I like this sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great layout!!! And so fun that you are playing along!!! Hugs, Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful layout! love the adorable puppy-real and paper piecing..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks awesome Lynette!! You did an awesome job with Alison's sketch!! Love the fun banner!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jou layouts is altyd so mooi! Ek hou baie van die klein ou houndjie - dis maar veels te oulik.

    Hope you have a super wonderful weekend.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. I especially like the brick wall. You have taken the mixed media to the next level. I would love to learn how to to that! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome Lynette!! Just love how you created that background! So clever!! and those photos are so super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so cute! I love the little puppy!! Great layout! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a great LO with so much texture! The diecut pup is my favourite element. Sweet photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Incredible! These details are amazeballs!! Loved reading all the different things you did. MM is such fun right?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a sweet page! The photo's are precious and love your styling on this page! Love the bricks, the banner and the drippy paints! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lynette, this is so sweet, the brickwork looks fabulous and the cute wee dog cut out. Paints look yummy plus!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥