Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

Our Cape Town weekend - Wine, cheese and chocolate tasting

The last photo post of our time in Cape Town.  Cape  Town in the wine capital of South Africa.  I do believe that some of the finest wines of the world are produced here.  On Sunday morning we left for the Paarl district to go on a wine route.  Please note:   I am NOT a wine drinker.  This was our first wine tasting tour.

Our first stop was at Simonsig.

They have received many awards for excellent wines.

That is a face of a non-wine drinker.  They would tell us that we would taste cherries, nuts...whatever...and all I could taste is dry vinegar.  Forgive me if you are a wine lover...but rather give me a sherry or fruit juice.

Interesting weather frog at Anura.

The goat tower at Fairview.

The husband having fun :-)

We did wine and cheese tasting at Fairview...and things were a bit less sour here :-P 
I actually found a red wine that I liked enough for my husband to buy.  It was sweet.  I love the light in this wine cellar , photo taken without a flash.

Even in winter the winelands are beautiful.

Then we moved on to something more to my liking.  At the Spice Route they offered chocolate tasting.

All 75% dark chocolate...the way I like it.  Would you believe that I have a palate for chocolate.  No jokes.  I could taste liquorice, plums, cherries, caramel...Who knew?

All the tastes found in the different chocolates, depending from which region the cocoa beans comes.
The husband and I then settled for coffee.  All the wine was making us sleepy.  Wynand and Nadia had another wine tasting at the Spice Route.

The outside wine tasting area.  Here food and wine pairing is also done.

Naughty Wynand.

Some more fooling around.

Lots of memories were made during this weekend.  We really loved spending quality time with the children on a one-to-one basis.  In Afrikaans we have a word "ongeskik" which could mean two things either rude or disabled.  Well, this weekend Wynand decided that his dad is "ongeskik" enough to qualify for disabled parking.

xoxo

27 comments:

  1. I love the fooling around pics - Wynand is just being a typical male (even Connor tells me he likes my b**bs!!!)

    And that goat tower is gorgeous - with the patterns of the sticks reflecting as shadows on the wall - just divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful trip, interesting photos. Thank you for sharing your joyful mood! Cool Tower and the ancient motorbike! Ha ... had your fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what amazing photos, Lynette! Looks like you had a wonderful time! I would have been the same way with the wine tasting, but the chocolate - YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Lynette - I posted the same comment twice!

      Delete
  5. Glad your weekend was great. Enjoyed all the happy pics. Even of the non-wine drinker. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. That probably would have been my face too, Lynette! I don't drink wine either, but all I could ever taste when I was younger, was the alcohol!! :) I would have preferred the chocolate tasting too, and how cool, that you could taste all of the different flavors in th chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You definitely had a fun weekend! As for W boys will be boys ;)

    Thanks for sharing pictures of your amazing weekend and making me turn different shades of emerald *wink wink

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah great photos, wonderful memories.. and I am with you.. I am not a lover of wine at all, my face goes like that too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous photos & memories, its great to see so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh fun fun fun!!! Love that look on your face, and who is that cool guy on that cool bike!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL....great post and photo's Lynette! I love that you have such a discerning palette...it works for chocolate but not for wine!!!! Ha ha ha....too funny! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What divine pics. Can see a good time was definately had by all.

    I think I must have a palate for chocolate too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome Lynette - I enjoyed a visit to Fairview some years back ... loved the goats.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely trip and so many interesting things to see!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos!
    Shame, my mom doesn't drink wine either - you should see the face she pulled when we went tasting. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great photos of a wonderful trip! The chocolate part sounds like something I would love! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your photos of your weekend in the Cape! Wine tasting in the Cape is a must !! I was never a red wine drinker until our first wine tasting experience quite a few years ago. I can see you've been to places we haven't - will be on our list for next time:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can see you had an amazing weekend full of fun & laughter!! Great photos!!! I'm not much of a wine drinker at all either...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like a wonderful time! Glad you enjoyed it!

    I desperately need a Cape holiday with wine tours and tastings... *sigh* (and I would love the red wine! ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi!!! Great photos.......I do love WINE!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your words made me laugh, then I got to the photograph of you drinking your vinegar ... and laughed even more... ohhhh so funny. I loved reading this, and seeing all your wonderful photographs ... such wonderful memories drinking your vinegar wine.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Wonderful memories which I am looking forward to seeing on your amazing layouts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like a lovely time with beautiful memories made.

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow, what a wonderful time. i laughed at your 'non-wine drinker face - I can sooooo relate! I hate the stuff too. ew

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like a fun time! LOL about Wynand and the statue. Boys will be boys. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥