Pages

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Embracing my inner domestic goddess

Don't you dare laugh!
I know that I am very outspoken about my "love" for cooking and baking.
I know that I have a kitchen only because it came with the house.
I know I am well known for supporting the ladies that bake for home industries...After all, they need to make a living too.

For the past few weeks I have had weird  cravings.  No, I am much too old and too wise to be pregnant.  I crave two things.   The first is creamy yummy macaroni and cheese.  The craving was so bad that when we took some very good friends to lunch on Monday I saw that the menu offered it.  It promised creamy macaroni and cheese made with chicken and three cheeses.  I was sold and ordered it.  What a disappointment,  it was stodgy, dry and had smoked bread crumbs over the top that made it taste like sawdust.  No, I can't tell you which restaurant as they would probably sue me for giving such a lousy review...but I can tell you that they are famous for their coffee ;-)


So today I decided to "play" for a while in the kitchen and make my own idea of what I want in a great macaroni and cheese.   I have an old fashioned Afrikaner husband that believes that anything without meat isn't food.  An hour later I had two dishes of macaroni and  cheese. (One to be frozen as I have neither the inspiration nor the energy to cook a good meal when I get home late in the afternoon).  Tonight my macaroni and  cheese (with mushrooms, chicken and tomato puree) passed the test when my man wanted seconds.


The second thing I was craving is "appelkoos konfyt handtertjies"( apricot jam fold over tartlets).  I have been searching for these at the home industries...but without any success.  I have a recipe book that has the step by step instructions to make these divine "tertjies" and I also remember making them for my family many years ago.  The nice thing is that even a non baker like me have all the ingredients needed to bake them.  So I did.  It is one of those recipes where the dough has to "rest" and stay cold in the fridge (high in butter content).  I ended up with six dozen little tarts and a reminder as to the reason why I only baked this once...flippen baie werk!  (Too much hard work).


So why am I writing this?  To prove that although I don't like cooking and I hate baking...I can actually do both with a degree of success.  That does not mean I am going to be doing more baking again soon.  I intend finding a lady that bakes for home industries to make this in future...after all,  they also need to make a living :-P

19 comments:

  1. Oh wow awesome home baking. Its been donkey years since I have seen a jam tertjie. I am sure the are just as delicious as they look. Now, macaroni and cheese with a meaty twist really sounds like comfort food, especially for cold winters evening here in SA.
    {Would love you to visit my blog and join my 600-Follower Give-Away. Thank you so much if you already have entered and good luck.}
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahahaha! ek kry ook sulke bevliegings! gelukkig van korte duur...... it looks YUMMIE, though!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun post Lynette! I can totally understand. I used to always cook and loved baking. Now the thought of even making supper seems like a really difficult task. I think it has something to do with the kids leaving home. Rob does the cooking and it is very basic and fast. Often just something on the grill. We eat is restaurants a lot too. I figure I am best not to start baking again as I'll be the only one eating it and then I'll have to take up sewing to fashion myself a moo moo. ;) The only thing I do in my kitchen is clean it. Your creations look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh yummy! It's the weather :) Mac and cheese is the ultimate comfort food (well, for me any creamy pasta).

    I make a good one that even children love :) :)

    You make me laugh because I love my kitchen and yet, if it was bigger, I would have even more fun in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had macaroni cheese for dinner tonight but it was absolutely nothing like the one you made which sounds delicious.

    I also love jam tarts ... they are one of my most favourite things and you are right that they are very hard to come by.

    Well done on being a domestic goddess!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oo both of these dishes look yummy! I too like baking.. for real, but only when I am in the mood for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the goodies you made. So delicious - yum! Waar's myne? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so yummy. I like cooking and experimenting in the kitchen not baking so much because I tend to have flops in the baking department- my family sometimes say its one of Mom's adventures then you know its not "quite" right lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done!! Both look super yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It all looks delicious! Well done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yummy!!!! I love this! Delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I've had a wonderful time catching up on your blog this evening. Your Mac & cheese and tartlets look delicious, and by making big batches you have plenty to freeze (to save for times of future cravings). :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here here!! Imperative we support those poor ladies! LOL!! I visit them once a week!! Well your mac & cheese looks sooooo yummy!! Well done! I guess you're referring to M&B, which I go to quite a lot but mainly just for coffee. They are pretty pricey! My kids have the nuggets & wedges there which they like a lot but we know what to avoid now...

    ReplyDelete
  14. You sure are GREAT!, the mac and cheese looks yummy, and that jam tartlet, even better, you know what, we have something look exactly like that, but it is savory instead of sweet, we called it curry puff, it is curry chicken, potato and egg on the inside. Now I am hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And you did not invite me over for some tartlets..... disappointed :-(

    You are going to have to make them again although I wont object too much if you do find a lady that makes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL...I would have loved a little morsel of both! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh I'm coming to your place .... I was fine till I spied this post, now I am starving and itching to eat!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥