Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Happy Birthday Sketch N Scrap!

Happy Birthday to us!  Sketch N Scrap is turning one this month and we are e celebrating everyday for the rest of the month!  That means LOTS of inspiration, lots of fun, lots of eye candy and the best part...LOTS and LOTS of prizes!  Today I will be hosting the challenge. I wanted to break away from the usual...page making or card making.  I dressed up my caddy with scrapbooking goodies:

This is what my caddy looks like now.


Before I started "dressing" it...it looked rather drab and sad.
I am going to give you pointers on how to alter your item.  First you have to clean it very well.  Then use your item to trace the sections onto patterned paper.  I used the gorgeous Pink Paislee butterfly garden that has been sitting in my stash for ages. Then apply some acrylic gel medium to a section at a time.  Acrylic gel medium is basically the same as Mod Podge, but it has self levelling properties and you get a smoother finish.  I worked in section or else parts of your item will dry out before you can apply you paper.  Once the gel medium is applied, apply your cut out traced pattern paper to it and smooth it down well with your hands to get any bubbles out.
Once you have your entire article covered in pattern paper and it has dried apply a thin layer of gel medium over your paper to seal it....when this is properly dry the fun begins.  It is time to bring out those large and bold embellishments that have been sitting in your stash and is too big for layouts.


I first glued the lace right around the top edges of the caddy and then let it dry again.  The fun part is to choose the embellishments you want to add.  I chose some large fabric Prima flowers for the center front and back of the caddy and then added leaves and birds (K & Co) to the one side and a pearl swirl to the other side.  

I added the large bling butterflies to the sides.    This lovely tag with the quote and ribbons was on a kit that was given out on a retreat.  It was so pretty that I wanted to keep it and now it has find it's perfect place.


My challenge to you is:
  •  to alter an article. It can be elaborate or it can be as simple as a pencil holder.  
  • become a follower of my blog
  • leave a comment with a link to where I can see your article.
Challenge ends May 31st at midnight, Central Standard Time.A winner will be randomly drawn and the prize will be the following kit:
It is a Jillibean Watermelon Gazpacho Soup kit.

I can't wait to see what you create.  Enjoy!

24 comments:

  1. I love your caddie Lynette and I could really do with something like that for my pens etc. Great challenge, I have never altered anything so perhaps it's a good challenge for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks AMAZING!! I love love love the transformation!!! And also loving the new blog header photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow your desk caddy certainly has a new lease on life.. it looks wonderful.. those papers really look great on an OTP!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful transformation Lynette! You are really good at OTP projects. I've only tried it once before and it was an exact copy from a magazine. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Lynette, your caddy looks super cute ~ Well done!!!

    I decoupaged my caddy about 14 years ago when I started scrapping and I love it ... I can unfortunately not add bling to mine as it travels a lot and it would get terribly damaged.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great alteration of your Caddy, Lynette!! Now it's functional and pretty!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Lynette!! LOVE your the look of your new (old) caddy!! It's soooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so gorgeous, how inspiring it must be on your table now. I love how fancy you made it!! Thanks for sharing how you did this and what a fun challenge for us too. Will see if I can makeover something. I usually don't have patience for these kinds of things, ha!

    Happy Mother's Day to you Lynette, hope it's a wonderful weekend for you. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW Lynette! You made it look so easy! The transformation is spectacular! You "new" caddy is so beautiful and very, very creative. And I want to tell you how much I love your new photo at the top of your blog! It is beautiful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!!miraculously turned Lynette!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is gorgeous Lynette!!! Love every inch of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty! Love all of the flowers & bling! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. how pretty is that caddy of yours! love what you did!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a difference you have made. It hardly looks like the same caddy at all. My alteration isn't nearly as complex, but it's here: http://amandas-scrapbook-pages.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/altered-tin.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so beautiful! Must be a joy to see it sitting on your desk. Great way to use up some large embellishments too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So super Lynette....one always feels better at creating, when you are surrounded by beautiful things...and this is a wonderful inspiration! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am loving these daily challenges!! I have a list running and they all are so fantastic! I am a current follower and here is my altered item...it's a notepad. http://sameoldscrap.blogspot.com/2013/05/ciu-altered-notepad.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. this looks absolutely gorgeous - well done you!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous layout!
    Love the new header!
    Glad you and Shayne and Rina had an awesome trip.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lynette this is gorgeous!!! I love how you dressed up the caddy! :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥