Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Let your light SHINE

Today is my friend, Margot's birthday.  I wanted to do something special for her because she is such a special person.  During the carols by candlelight service last year I took this beautiful photo of her grand daughter.
Her grand daughter lives in Mauritius and she has a very special bond with her.  This morning when I walked into my craft room I knew what I wanted to do.  I was going to make a canvas with this photo as a gift to her.  Jowilna Nolte taught us some awesome techniques at the Woman's Day crop last year...and now my notes came in handy.
This is the completed canvas  that measures 12 x 18 inches.  The photo is A5 size. The canvas  took me all day to do. There is many layers to this mixed media project.

Step one:  I spritzed two different colours Mister Huey's and then I spritzed water onto it to make the colours run.  I put it outside to dry.
Step 2:  I added various colours acrylic paint which I applied with a credit card...then I spritzed water over the paint to make the colours run.  It had to be left to dry again.
Step 3:  I applied Acrylic gel medium to the canvas and the stuck the music sheet tissue paper to it.  I applied another coat of gel medium over the music sheet paper.  Let it dry again.
Step 4:  Using a Crafters Workshop stencil I stenciled texture paste onto the corners and let it dry again.
Step 5:  I mixed some gold and bronze perfect pearls with water and spritzed the whole canvas so that it had a soft glow.  I didn't photograph it after I added the  perfect peals...but you can see the glow in the completed project.
The tag behind the photo was stenciled with acrylic pearl paint and then inked with Tim Holtz distress ink.  You can also see that I did some crackling on two of the corners.  I first applied wood glue and when it was sticky but a bit drier I covered the glue with paint.  As the glue dries the paint cracks beautifully.
I added the Prima bling and trim stickers to the sides of the photos to mimic the flames...and the title was just perfect for the photo.
The chipboard flourish was first covered with pearl acrylic paint to make it water proof and then I dabbed it with alcohol inks.  The flower clusters in the corners ended it off perfectly.

Thank you for visiting my blog, have a lovely day.
xx

22 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Such thought and care in this project - your friend is going to be overwhelmed! Thanks for sharing your process - always fun to see how other people create!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a special gift, Lynette! the photo is so beautiful! I am sure your friend was overjoyed receiving this beautiful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your process of creating this beautiful canvas! I always wondered how such depth and dimension was achieved. This is just beautiful and your friend will treasure it forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lynette, for a master class. Of course, it is time-consuming work, but the result is worth it. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid job Lynette! Yes these layered projects take time but the end results are so worth it. Hope your friend is thrilled to bits with it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful and thoughtful gift! I am positive it will be cherished for a long time! This is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a stunning work of art and an incredibly thoughtful present

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty work of art & lovely gift! I am sure it will be cherished!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a stunning canvas Lynette! Margot is a lucky lady and I'm sure she will treasure her gorgeous gift forever. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is GORGEOUS!! I love love love that photo, the colors and loveeeeeeee the textures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! That's a lot of work. I'm sure your friend will love that, very nice and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love how your canvas turned out Lynette!! What a special keepsake for your friends birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks amazing.. I think she will absolutely LOVE it! the photo is stunning too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. This has turned out wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Look at you doing such wonderful work of art!! I am amazed at how well you make this look classy, but easy and that is something I think this hobby needs! Its an amazing layout Lynette and I know your friend will love it!

    Thank you so much for your kind words on my blog as well, it means a great deal to me!
    e.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks so much for your loving words on my blog x
    your work is stunning and that pic is just beautiful and such a treasure x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am sure she would love the gift!!!! STUNNING

    ReplyDelete
  18. posh background!.. and your work with the paper is wonderful!))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥