Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Taking a stand

Okay,  I admit it.
This is something that I have been brooding about since Friday.
On Friday the cause was "standing against rape" and wearing black.
There is always a cause.
We are called to either stand against something or to stand for something.
Last week was particularly bad on social media.  Julia wrote about it beautifully, calling it  "so much NOISE".

Through all ages there has been causes people stand for passionately.  Let's take organised religion....and see how much violence resulted from that.  People who kill in the name of religion....even to this day. On Friday I didn't wear black.  I don't like wearing black.  I don't even wear it to funerals.  It is such a depressing non colour.  Does that make me ignorant or uncaring?  NO, it does not.  I work with the victims of all the various forms of abuse on a daily basis.  I have a lot of compassion for them and the ones that I deal with know just how much I care about them.

On Friday I sat on the sideline and watch things unfold.  Those who passionately call up others for the "cause".  Then those who question whether it actually means anything, how can wearing a certain colour stop violence?  Those who don't feel as passionate.  Those who didn't wear black.  Isn't it ironic that people stand so passionately against abuse....and yet when they are questioned or others don't feel the same passion...they become the abuser.  They abuse with their words.  "You are ignorant"...."You live with your head up your a*s"...."indifferent".  Since when can a "cause" be more important than relationship?  Since when does standing for a cause give us the right to slate anyone that doesn't stand for our cause?

It would appear that when in Africa...you adopt the law of Africa, and you resort to mass action to bring about change. In fact you start believing that it is the only way, the only hope.  Well, this is my little spot in cyberspace and here I can voice how I feel.   I don't agree that this is the hope for our country or our nation.  We have left our Creator out of the equation.  I am not governed by the law of Africa or the law of the world, I am governed by the Word of God.  Over the past nearly 15 years at the Mission we have learned that only One can heal the hurts of the abused.  Only One brings wholeness....and only He can heal our land. So instead of taking a day to wear black...take a day of humbling yourself before Him and praying for Him to heal our land.  That is the sort of  "mass action" we are called to. I stand passionately for one cause only and that is showing the love of Christ in my daily walk.


Just saying.
xx

PS:  This blog post is MY OBSERVATION and MY OPINION.  That does not mean that I don't respect your opinion or love you less because you have an opinion different to mine.

27 comments:

  1. Lynette,

    Your words are just so eloquent. I couldn't agree with you more. AMEN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. I didn't wear black either .... My thoughts on the subject were far less eloquent but the gist was the same. Thanks you for putting it so succinctly ... Brave post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't wear black either - but then I didn't leave my house!

    I feel exactly the same but you put it down on paper so much better than I ever would x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a bad English. But as I understand - do not believe in God to the show, defiantly. I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wore black, but I wear black to work every day so it wasn't really anything different to my norm.
    I agree, I think your post is spot on as something Really needs to change.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well my friend, as always, very well said

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wore black.

    But kind of sheepishly
    And irritably, saying "What the heck difference is it going to make to the rape situation if we all wear black?!"

    Answer: none at all.

    But, rather stupidly I guess, it did feel better than doing nothing at all.

    Yes, the one thing - the only thing that will change this situation is people with changed hearts.
    And there is only One who can do that . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post - I couldn't agree with you more. Thank you for the reminder to PRAY more than talk and think about these things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely beautiful post ... I wish we could meet IRL ... as boy could I tell you stories of my past...lol... I have been there, done that and probably should write the book! lol! :) I have been through it all -- and I am still here, stronger than ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you so much, Lynette, for standing up!
    I didn't wear black and I do care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also did not wear black. You wrote it much better than I could have but basically I am sick of people thinking that the one day or a ribbon, or a colour or what ever will make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find South Africans rather sheep-like in that they do the 'right' thing on certain days, when they are called to do so, including being seen at church on Sundays. We don't go to church anymore, we tried when we first arrived to find a suitable church and failed, and our weeks are so busy and our weekends our only time to rest, even then Saturdays are filled with kids sports and extra lessons and activities. I never follow those meaningless 'protests' to wear certain colours or shoes. I feel that so many are missing the point in this life. I do whatever I can, where I can, for whoever I can, and my conscience is clear. I don't go out of my way to do more as I come across so many in need in my day to day life...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think that leaving God out is only happening in S.A. unfortunately we have an atheist Prime Minister here at the moment and us aussies are in great need of a revival of our love to God too..

    ReplyDelete
  14. So moving and oh, so true, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wore black...a color I never wear but on Friday I did...Being so far away I felt by wearing black I was supporting all the women of South Africa...that someone living in Germany was standing with them in spirit..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post, is in the heart, is in the heart!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome and well said, Lynette! I love your page - the Bible verse says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely WELL said!!! I so so so agree and wish so many more would do the same! LOVED your post and true words!! AMEN! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many excellent points here. I agree, if we can stand for Christ in our lives, then we are standing for an awesome God with purpose and hope. ~ Blessings, Tracey

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had to come back to read this post again today and I still don't know why it caused any rift in your relationship, because it is so true. Wearing a specific colour or the other is not the answer but praying for a revival and that God will touch people's hearts. Thank you for the reminder

    ReplyDelete
  21. I also came back to re-read this post to see if there was something I missed. You said what you believe and what you felt. You did not insist that anyone felt that way too.
    I don't always agree with everything you write but respect the way you feel about it as I know you respect my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE this post. And thanks for the link-love. xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. So beautifully put! God bless you!
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well put Lynette 0 sorry this caused a rift in a friendship - i too don't see what you said that could be considered offensive.

    Hugz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥