Pages

Friday, December 7, 2012

Things that go bump in the night

At approximately 2:30 this morning my DH woke up because he heard some noise.  Initially he thought that it was just B that was busy making a bottle for Stefan in the kitchen.  When he looked towards the foot of the our bed, he noticed a man crouching on the floor. The head flashlight that was on his forehead was burning.  DH jumped up and the guy got such a shock that he bolted with DH giving chase.  He ran through the gym room that is adjoining our bedroom and out the sliding door.  He proceeded to our backyard and jumped over our garden gate.  We pushed the panic button and when the security guards arrived they checked out the premises and patrolled the parameter.  They found the intruder's jacket hanging over our back wall.  He had entered our home through the window in our gym room and opened the sliding door as a getaway path before he tried to go deeper into our home.

We have been living in our home for more than 25 years and in all that time we have never had a burglary.  We have become complacent.  Never setting the alarm unless DH was away.  Often we have unlocked doors and unsecured windows.  This incident have given us a wake up call,. to be more vigilant and more careful.

After all the drama I lay awake for hours.  Thinking about all the "What If's".   What if DH didn't wake up?  What if the intruder pulled a weapon and DH got hurt?  What if B and I were home alone?  You get my drift.  Thoughts like that can drive you insane.  I knew that I had to take control of my thoughts and focus on the "NOW".  NOW we are safe.  NOW nobody got hurt.  I thanked the Lord for keeping His hand of protection over us and I thanked Him that He kept DH safe.  Then I fell asleep.

Today we will be spending time putting back burglar bars that were taken off during the years.  We will be investigating exterior beams and movement detector lights.  We will be more careful and use wisdom.

xx

24 comments:

  1. Lynette really sorry to hear aboout the intruder! But you are absolutely on the right path, if the thougts are thank you Lord, that everyone is okay and the guy ran away, and nobody was harmed! You were blessed and the good Lord was looking after you all! I pray that He continues to do so and I just know that you will be protected and cared for! Take Heart my Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there done that :( So sorry! It is always a shock when it actually happens to you. Fortunately we were given a chance like you and it got us to get set up with the extra security that we all really need to live with. Unfortunately that is the reality of living in South Africa in 2012. Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynette, you poor things, I can't imagine the fear that you must have gone through for your family but relieved that all ended well enough in the cicumstances. Hope you recover from your ordeal soon. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynette, I'm so sorry you had this awful experience. I had someone try to break into my house when I first moved out of home, it is such a frightening thing. I'm so glad to hear you are both ok.
    Big hugs to you
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so scary, Lynette. I can't even believe that this happened to you. Yes, we all become complacent. I am so happy to hear that you are ok and that nothing was stolen. I hope that they catch him and put him away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, I am shocked to read of your ordeal.. but thankfully you are ok.. and your measures will ensure your safety in the future..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really am so sorry to read of this but WELL pleased you are all safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Lynette, this is terrible. Always such an invasion of one's privacy and really makes one feel unsafe. So relieved that you are all safe. As you say its a good wake up call to be more vigilant.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}
    {Doing Life – 400 Follower Give Away}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, how scary! Thanks for the reminder that we do need to take precautions...I just noticed I left my front door unlocked after falling asleep early on the couch...so scary....I won't be doing that again! Stay safe and so sorry for your ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So scary!!! So glad you are all ok though!! I know what you mean about the 'what if's' -- our house was broken into 4 years ago and I have been completely dedicated now to setting our alarm when we aren't here and when we go to bed ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would still be shaking! Did he steal anything?I am thankful you are all safe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so scary Lynette!! But I am so glad to hear that you and your family are safe!! Thankful for God's protection for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry this happened Lynette, so thankful that all of you are safe and not harmed. Way to go on your husband's quick reaction though, too bad he didn't catch the guy. Please be safe and locked up EVERY NIGHT!! Sending prayers your way to calm your thoughts and help you feel safe to again. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, congratulations on your blog!
    If you can visit this blog:
    http://morgannascimento.blogspot.com.br/
    Thank you for your attention

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that is scary! Thank goodness your husband was home and you are all safe. Good idea to up the security. We have been guilty of going to bed only to realize in the morning that we had forgotten to lock the door. Too risky these days.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh that is scary Lynette, so sorry to hear that and I am glad all is fine. Coming from a country so safe like Singapore, living in Las Vegas scares me too, even though we have not heard of any near our area, we do set up the security system every night before we sleep, my husband tried not to travel as much ever since my girls went to college, it is really scary for me to stay home alone.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry to hear!
    Your space must feel violated!
    Glad you are checking and beefing up your security!
    So glad all are safe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh, that sounds so scary! I'm so glad that nobody got hurt. Sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh how frightening. I'm so glad everyone is safe and sound!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very scary! Glad to hear that everyone is OK and that DH woke when he did and wasn't hurt. Prayers that you & your family stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG! I am happy to hear no one got hurt! How Scary! I hope never to encounter something like that. I do feel very secure in our home. I always always double check locks on doors and windows and especially if the cable guy or some other service guy comes I always check the windows to make sure they are locked. I am paranoid like that. We have cameras all outside our home and is monitored by video survelliance. Signs are posted outdoors too. Never let your guard down.

    Thanks for the lovely comments. I am happy to see someone is reading my blog! LOL!

    Your GB is precious and love your scrapbook pages. I have a craft room full of scrapping stuff and never scrap! LOL!

    Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness to hear this in detail gives me the CHILLS!! I can't even imagine. SO SO SO thankful the Lord kept you safe during such a scary incident!! Big Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMGoodness...how terrifying!!!
    Sorry to hear that you had such a frightening ordeal, but glad that everyone was ok. I hope they are able to catch the intruder!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥