Pages

Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas down memory lane

It is Christmas Eve....and I have yet to find my HOHOHO....and I remember "a long, long time ago...when I was a little girl, and the magic of  childhood Christmas.

I cannot think of Christmas without thinking about Ouma and Oupa Baard...my maternal grandparents. In the left photo Oupa is sitting on the far left next to Ouma who is holding one of my cousins on her lap.  My mother was one of five children and this particular year my aunt and cousins from New Zealand were visiting.  

Ouma had a way of keeping the family together.  On Christmas eve each of us received an amount of money and we were taken to the Fair that was always set up next to Happy Valley on the beach front.  Here we had endless rides and it was followed by a walk through the magical Happy Valley with all its pretty lights.  Then we were off to my grandparents house where we gathered in the lounge.  Father Christmas (Santa) had by then deposited the gifts below the tree.  Each of us got a pillow case to put our gifts in.  Oupa  would hand out the gifts and delightful chaos followed.  We were 18 cousins and you can just imagine the sheer joy of being together.

On Christmas day we would all return to Oupa and Ouma's house for the huge feast.  Here is a photo of my mom (yellow dress) and my four sisters.  As it is hot in South Africa at Christmas time our meal consisted of cold meats and salads followed by Ouma's wicked trifle.
Another photo in front of their house....my New Zealand cousin Gail Parker in front (with the long brown ponytail) and me with our matching red Christmas dresses.

Tonight we will have our own little tradition.  All our children and grandchildren will be at our home for a braai (BBQ) and then Santa will visit around eight 'o clock to hand out the gifts...and now I am off to do the things that we all do at the last minute;-)

Wishing you and all your loved ones a blessed Christmas.  May you make amazing memories again this year, and remember that Jesus is the reason for the season.

xx

17 comments:

  1. Hey Lynette...love this post and your sentiment too! Love the story! Have a blessed and joyous Christmas! Find that HO HO HO soon! Denise xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post and seeing the pics :)

    Love your tradition of a braai on christmas Eve.

    We never braai so I'm a little bit jealous :)

    Have a wonderful, peaceful (uneventful) Christmas with the love of our Saviour surrounding you and your family!

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful Christmas memories you have!!!!! I love the photos!! Thanks for sharing this!!! Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must admit I don't feel the Ho Ho Ho either Has not been a good December with my cousin going into major cardiac arrest.

    Have a blessed Christmas and a super 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful to have such happy memories & photos to go with it. Enjoy your evening & have a fantastic Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely post to read Lynette. Loved hearing about your childhood Christmas traditions. They sound amazing! Have a wonderful holiday with your lovely family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photos are super sweet and precious ... thanks for sharing them. Wishing you and your family a very merry Christmas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Merry Christmas dear Lynette!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such lovely memories! I hope you and your family had a wonderful and blessed Christmas! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lynette these photos are so precious! thank you for sharing! i hope you had a lovely day with your family celebrating this very special day and now you and you DH are the ones who are building traditions for your big beautiful family and one day one of your grand kids will share some old photos and treasured memories of spending time with your ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful memories Lynette. Trustin you had a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
  12. A real trip down memory lane. Looks like so much fun! Hope you had a wonderful christmas filled with good food, family, love and happiness.

    I pray that the unfailing Love and the everlasting Peace of Christ be with you and your loved ones.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, I loved seeing your old photos and reading your reminiscences. I come from a big extended family as well (lots of cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.), so I could relate to some of your memories. Of course, the biggest difference is that your Christmases are sunny and mine are snowy. I hope that God will bless you with a happy Christmas this year! How was the BBQ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you enjoyed a festive and beautiful Xmas with your beautiful large family! I am glad most of it is over now as I was sick all week.
    Mow I am looking forward to what's to come :-)
    Happy New Year Lynette!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi my friend!
    I am so sorry I haven't stopped by in quite some time, December has been a blur for me! But, I have missed checking in on you and seeing how you are doing! I hope you and your family had a magical Christmas full of love & laughter!! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful memories. We usually spend Christmas Eve with my parents too. We all go to Church and then meet up at my parents place for snacks and champagne and a bit of gift opening. I LOVE those times. Hope you had a blessed Christmas my friend. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥