Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2012

The things I am thankful for....


  • My husband.  We have been together since I was 17.  You could say that in a way he raised me.  I am so thankful that over the years we have grown so close together.  We often finish each other's sentences and often we giggle when one of us start talking about something and the other was thinking about it at the same time. Kobus then tells me "Klim uit my kop" (get out of his head).  I am thankful that he allows me "time out" when I need it.  Even if "time out" is just not going to work for that day. I am thankful that in Kobus being a father to our children I could learn the father heart of God.
  • Wax earplugs:  Okay on a lighter note:-)  Kobus snores so badly that I seldom got a good night's sleep.  Thanks to wax earplugs I now get my much needed sleep.
  • My family:  I am grateful that my children have all found their futures in South Africa and even better yet...in Port Elizabeth.  Wynand, Nadia and the boys lives approximately 2 km from us on a smallholding and Kobus, Lache and their three little ones live just around the corner from us in the same neighbourhood.  I love it that I can fetch the little ones at anytime when I miss them.  I am so grateful that we are so intimately involved in their lives.  
  • Reconciliation:  With Bianca.  Since we adopted her at age 14 months I wanted our relationship to be special.  Then it all went pear shaped two years ago.  My heart was broken and in a sense I lost hope.  I give thanks to our Lord and Saviour who is always in control and who works all things for the good of those who love Him.
  • Experiencing the birth of a grandchild:  I had the awesome blessing of being the birth partner for Bianca when Stefan was born in March this year.  It is most certainly the highlight of my year. Seeing his little body appear and hearing his first cry was a miracle.  Being the first to cuddle him was precious.
  • Grandchildren:  Okay, I know I already mentioned them....but I love them so much that I needed to count this blessing again.  I love it that each of them have their own unique personality, their own little quirks and their own ways of twisting me and Kobus around their little fingers.
  • Being relatively pain free:  Many of you know that I have had chronic pain for the past few years.  At the beginning of this year I had a MRI and EMG and the neurologist changed the diagnosis from Fibromyalgia to Myofascial pain syndrome.  No, it has nothing to do with the face :-)  (Myofascial pain syndrome (MPS) is a fancy way to describe muscle pain. It refers to pain and inflammation in the body's soft tissues. Myofascial pain is a chronic condition that affects the fascia (connective tissue that covers the muscles). There is no cure for this condition and the treatment is basically pain management.  The neurologist prescribed pain blockers and I haven't felt so good in years.
  • Living my purpose:  It is a blessing for me to know that I am exactly where the Lord intended me to be.  Being in full time ministry is a delight to us.  I could never go back to living a secular life.  It is indeed more of a blessing to give than to receive.  You have no idea what it is like to see people's lives transformed.  To see people get out of the pit of depression and finding hope again.  To see the countenance of addicts change as they become free.
  • Returning to my gifting:  You know that whole "love language" thing.  It was always a mystery to me what my love language was;-)  Last month I realized I am missing it totally.  Spending quality time with people and being "there" for them is my passion.  For years I would drop everything and rush to the aid of whoever needed me at the time.  Until I realized that this was reciprocated, others would never do the same for me...I felt so unloved... (really)....and bitter, and I robbed myself of the blessing.  I just stopped being there.  I am thankful that the Lord stirred this up in my spirit last month and I knew I had to do something about it.  I did...and I immediately felt more fulfilled.
  • Being creative:  In her book The Gift of Imperfection, Brene Brown makes this statement on page 96 "The only unique contribution that we will ever make in this world, will be born of our creativity."  I love being creative. It keeps my hands busy so that my mind can sort things out.  Very therapeutic.  I also love that my creativity brings pleasure to the ones I love.
What are you thankful for today?

xx

13 comments:

  1. Love your post. I just posted on gratitude too.

    What is Kobus's love language?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post- thanks for sharing.
    So inspiring and makes me appreciate all I have too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving Lynette! I used to be a giver like you but felt just the same way - now I give but not to those who are permanently ungrateful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lynette, beautiful list. Truly counting our blessings just gives us so much perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, brought tears to my eyes. Thank God for His big and not so big mercies and the jaw dropping blessings.

    Thankful for good health and His grace despite all challenges

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful post Lynette! It must be something that comes with age, but I often think how blessed I am. One tends to always want something you don't have, instead of appreciating what you've already got. I am so thankful for my amazing husband and kids. Being so far from family, this is so important to me.
    God bless. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, friend :)
    I loved reading this post so much! Your list is so special and what I love about posts like this is that, even though we all face many challenges in life, it is so important to continue feeling grateful for all the good things we have as well!
    Our Thanksgiving was in October but you have inspired me to create my own list of things to be thankful for again today, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVED this post. Am THRILLED that you finally get what your Love Language is. It makes ALL the difference to know exactly what makes you feel loved and fulfilled. You are a VERY blessed woman - so highly favoured.
    I wrote a post earlier which I'm going to publish just now and in writing that I realised just how THANKFUL I am for my husband for putting up with me and not complaining too much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great list you have here, so happy for you to have so much to be thankful for!!

    As you know already, these posts are my favorite kind. Doing this all month in my PL has made be so happy and filled with joy for all I DO HAVE!! It's always been the simple little things that make my heart sing!!

    Thank you so much for sharing these with us and for sharing YOU with us. I'm thankful for knowing you!!
    I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving today!! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, i loved this post. It makes such a difference to our lives to know what we are truly thankful for. I think it makes us appreciate the little things even more.

    I know since doing my Nov Month Of Gratitude it has made me very aware of how much I have to be grateful for - it is so easy to miss!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many lovely things here to be thankful for. I am so thankful for the amazing love of our Lord, my sweet family and the creative outlet of scrapbooking. ~ Blessings, Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  12. dankie vir dit!! ek is bly Ons Vader het jou weer geroer om betrokke te raak - Sy timing is egter perfek, en Hy het geweet wanneer jy weer sou reg wees. DANKIE! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful post!! You are an amazing woman!! I am so happy they have diagnosed your pain and have answers for you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥