Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Glimpses from our vacation

Hallo my dear friends.  First off:  I want to apologize for not being very active in the world of blogging.  I feel awful that I haven't been able to make my regular visits to your blogs.  Things have been hectic since our return from vacation.

I want to share some of the photos that we took during our time in Plettenberg Bay.  So much have happened since then that I am going to do a catch up quickly;-)

  • We came back to the general chaos at work.  There is always a price to pay for going away for two whole weeks.  Needless to say, I still haven't managed to catch up with all my admin work.  Fortunately all the work relating to reports to the Receiver of Revenue was already up to date before we left.  So now I am taking it one day at a time and doing what I am able to...no use getting all stressed about it.
  • We have a big fundraising event this coming Saturday.  The venue is sponsored by the Summerstrand Inn and they will be preparing the three course meal with all ingredients supplied by Woolworths.  We are so blessed to have Woolworths that believe in the work we do at the Mission...without their help we would never be able to supply 28500 meals every month on the shoestring budget we have.  We have received beautiful paintings and some very rare bottles of wines that will be auctioned at the benefit.  Because of the art auction the decor is going to be very arty and a little over the top.  All the tables were sold out a week ago and we will have 230 people attending the evening.  Very exciting.  I will be sure to take lots of photos to show you.
  • I am sure that by now you know that the Eastern Cape will probably be declared a disaster area.  We have had rain for 11 days solid. Yes, our cold and wet winter was followed by a cold and wet spring.  Yesterday morning when I woke and saw the grey skies...I wanted to cry.  Today for the first time the sun has started peeking out and just seeing tiny bits of blue sky is already lifting my spirits.  Wynand and Nadia's house was flooded during the night on Saturday evening.  The water flowed ankle deep through their house and all the laminated flooring and fitted cupboards are wrecked.  The insurance companies are inundated with claims and one of the contractors that have been appointed to their claim will only be able to assess the damage on Friday. 
Here are some glimpses of our time away...I must be honest and say that the camera was very seldom taken out:-) We read(lots), slept (even during the day), took long walks on the beach and ate way too much.  Actually our hardest task each day was to decide where we will have our next meal.

The view from our third floor window.
The outside area where we love to have our breakfast.
The lawn where we had our first experience of summer arriving (that was before all the rain)
Caught in the act by Kobus. 
Reading in the Sea Lounge.
I finished six books in the two weeks. Five of the books are crime novels by Lisa Gardner...I love her writing style and the way she keeps you in suspense until the very last page.  I also read "The Light between oceans by M.L. Stedman.  A very good read and a lovely piece on forgiveness on page 342 after being asked how he got over some things done to him during the war he replies:  'I choose to,' he said. 'I can leave myself to rot in the past, spend my time hating people for what happened, like my father did, or I can forgive and forget.'  'But it is not that easy.' she said. 'Oh, but my treasure, it is so much less exhausting. You only have to forgive once.  To resent, you have to do it all day, every day.  You have to keep remembering all the bad things.  I would have to make a list, a very, very long list and make sure I hated the people on it the right amount.  That I did a very proper job of hating too.  No,'  his voice became sober, 'we always have a choice.  All of us.'
We won a free trip to Birds of Eden and spent one afternoon there.
A feast for birds.
 A dude with a funny hairdo.
Our last evening was spent having supper at the Look Out Deck...and we watched the sky turn pink.  This is my favourite photo of our time away.

I promise to visit your blogs soon.
xx

18 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a wonderful time away, your pics are gorgeous. I believe that Light betw Oceans is amazing and am dying to read it! It is on my to do list for EL on Sat!

    Yes, we are also veyr very wet. And our roads are simply sludge. Two weeks of rain and no gravel - you can just imagine what driving on them is like.

    Good luck for your function on Sat, so wish we had shorn earlier then we could have joined you!'

    Lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your post Lynette. So sorry to hear about the dreadful weather you've been having and the flooding. I hope the sun will shine for you soon as I know how it can affects everybody's moods.
    Your holiday pics are amazing and sounds like you had a wonderful and much deserved break. I've made a note of some of the books you've mentioned as I will be going on a week's holiday early December and am looking for something good to read.
    Take care my friend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with Saturday's fundraiser - I hope you are blessed as always. I just love to know that Woollies supports such a great cause.

    Oh my friend your holiday looks lovely - I would love one like that but I guess it only really comes around when you are not running after little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with Saturday's fundraiser - I hope you are blessed as always. I just love to know that Woollies supports such a great cause.

    Oh my friend your holiday looks lovely - I would love one like that but I guess it only really comes around when you are not running after little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sending thoughts of sunnier, drier weather to you in the hopes that it helps! I'm so sorry to hear about the horrible flooding you have been experiencing and I agree, so many days of rain is always sure to bring your spirits down!
    I love your beautiful vacation photos, felt like we were right there alongside you! I'm glad you got away and were able to relax..you deserve it! Take care my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgous photos, I should have made myself a cup of tea to go with your delightful blog post.
    I feel so refreshed.
    Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Showed the pictures to my hubby he couldn't believe it's SA! Very beautiful. And the one of you caught in the act... Priceless

    Hope the fundraiser goes very well

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Light between oceans by M.L. Stedman sounds like an awesome book!! Definitely a must read. I looked at your photo curled up sleeping - you looked tired and very small curled up in yourself. Kobus captured a vulnerability that few of us get to see. Thank you for sharing the beautiful photos and best wishes for the auction!!

    Herlien xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that this blog update comes to my email!!!! Your vacation looks amazing and I love the pictures...feel relaxed just looking at this place! Don't stress...everything will be done in due time. I am thrilled that you were able to get away and simply enjoy. I just got home from an amazing ladies retreat and have been inspired! So inspired a started a page on Facebook called "Breaking 21" If you are ever on FB check it out...just search for, "Breaking 21" And if you hit like I'll see ya! I am tired and heading to bed my friend...enjoy your day. Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, your photos are lovely, it looks like a heavenly holiday! The book sounds awesome, think I may have to read it! Look forward to seeing photos on your function:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heavenly!!!!

    My colleague has a flat in Plett and I can see why :)

    Sounds like such a great holiday with food, sleep, reading.

    I love it when you're discussing things like where next to eat as BIG decisions - you then know you're relaxed :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I feel rested just from visiting this beautiful blog!! What stunning photos you took & I can see and hear that you had a fantastic time away & a well-deserved rest!! I really want to try this holiday for ourselves. It's a bit far for us but perhaps Christmas next year - will have to make some enquiries!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lynette, your pictures are a delight to the eye!! Looks like you had a wonderful time, only to return to dreary rainy skies. I hope the rain lets up soon. I know that our rainy season here in Florida can be depressing at times, but the sun comes out eventually!!. Hang on there. I hope your son and daughter in law recover from the devastation that the rain caused their home.
    The work that you do is amazing. God has blessed you with a gift. For that, many of us are thankful. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning photos, thanks for sharing them! Hope the work function went all according to plan, am sure it did! Have a good week, xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow it looks like you had an amazing time! Beautiful beautiful photo's

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like such a lovely restful time.... Just before year end rush! I look forward to hearing more about the gala evening.... The table decor looked exquisite on fb. Much love to you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning photos & such an easy post to read & enjoy. you should think of writing short stories.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like an amazing vacation!! I loveeeeee the photos of you!! You are just beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥