Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Around here

After 14 years in full time ministry to the poor, the homeless, the addicted and the broken...one thing still profoundly affect me....and that one thing is young people in general.  It breaks my heart to see the brokenness in our young people.  I look at them and I imagine them as babies and how much happiness their birth must have brought their parents.  Out there somewhere they have family that might not know where they are or maybe their family no longer care.  You know how much I adore my children and my grandchildren and how fiercely I will protect them.  I can't get my head around the fact that young people who are so in need of love can become so rejected that nobody cares anymore.

Earlier this week I received an e-mail from a mother in Gauteng.  Her son is a heroin addict and on the streets of Port Elizabeth.  She wanted us to help.  Our policy is not to go out and look for people on the streets.  They must come out of their own and because they are serious about getting better. Yesterday this young man came to us for help. His mother was overjoyed. He is in his early twenties and totally addicted to the worse drug possible.  He injected directly into the arteries on his hands and I could hardly look at his hands they were so infected.
We sent him to the hospital this morning (with a leader as we need to protect them from themselves) to have his hands seen to.  Now the withdrawal symptoms and the long walk to health start.  I am just praying that he will hang in there and not jump the wall when things become too difficult and the craving to big.  If it is part of your habit to pray, please pray for us and pray for the many people in our care that, like this young man needs healing of body, soul and spirit.

xx
  

16 comments:

  1. Lynette your dedication is amazing & lots of prayers & hugs coming your way for all of your wonderful work & the awful things you have to deal with. Its fantastic these lost souls can come to the mission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like you. I always also imagine people that way.
    I will pray for this young man and the people in your care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing an amazing job my friend. Keeping your mission in my prayers, always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This world needs more people like you and your DH Lynette. You and the work you do are always in my prayers. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heart breaking. Thanks for making a difference where it counts the most.
    Hugs
    Desire

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart breaks for this young man and his mother, I can only imagine the pain and the suffering but then I also know the grace and mercy of our Lord and Saviour, who I believe with all my heart can heal this brokeness. Please know our family is praying for this family and for your family and for ALL families affected by this terrible addiction.
    Blessings Lynette,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying, praying, praying. May healing and health take place. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending lots of hugs and prayers to you, his mom and this young man. May God take over from here and lead the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for him that he heals inside and out.... I have been sober now for 23 years... so I know the struggle.... it truly is One Day at a Time.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow....this photo really is reality in one's face!!!! Sjoe...praying for this young man and I hope that he can sort himself out! You do a wonderful job Lynette...so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - that is pretty hectic!! Hope this story has a happy ending...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying for the young man and many more like him out there, that the Lord will touch their hearts and they will find a way to Him and out of this 'hole'.

    Praying for you and the work you are doing. May the good Lord bless you mightily and continue to give you the strength you need to keep on with the good work

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praying for this young man. ~ Blessings, Tracey

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. It just heart breaking, but you are doing an awesome job there Lynette!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really heartbreaking!!! You are doing such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. I'm speechless. My thoughts and prayers are with you and all those in need of a little comfort & care tonight. Keep up the amazing work my friend, you are making a difference

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥