Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Embracing who I am and owning my story

A few days ago Allie blogged about why we have a need of writing our story and why in the world would there be people who actually read what we write.  I have been thinking about that a lot lately.  I have also been reading a book by Brene Brown called "The gift of imperfection" (Let go of who you think you are supposed to be and embrace who you are).  Now if you remember, my one little word for this year is EMBRACE.  I have been drawn to this book and it just "speaks" to me.  I will be sharing some of my thoughts on some of the topics in the book over the next few posts....but I want to leave you with this profound statement by Brene Brown:  

"Our lives are a collection of STORIES, truths about who we are, what we believe, what we care for, how we struggle and how we are strong.  When we let go of what people think and own our story, we gain access to our worthiness. The feeling that we are ENOUGH just as we are, and that we are worthy of LOVE and BELONGING."

I am really enjoying this book and find so many truths in it.  I realise that telling our story makes us vulnerable, but it also makes us real.

Now I want to share this week's layout based on the March One Page Sketch by Sketch Support

One-page Sketch #19

You can download and print this sketch by clicking on the one-page sketches link found under the "printable sketches" tab on the right sidebar of the Sketch Support blog.  Here is my layout based on the sketch.

Supply List:  Cardstock: Bazzill; Printed Paper: My Minds Eye(Stella and Rose Hattie); Stickers including "Boys" title: My Minds Eye (Stella and Rose Hattie); Brads and Trim: My Minds Eye (Stella and Rose Hattie), Pearls: Melissa Francis; Punch: Martha Stewart.

Variation #1:  I used a 5x7 photo and therefore added a few additional strips. I also liked the idea of using flags as part of my title with the word "Boy".
Variation #2:  I matted my photo on cardstock.
Variation #3:  I used pearls and brads instead of buttons and scallops.
Variation #4:  Instead  of journaling on the left side of the photo I added some banner stickers.
Variation #5:  I punched a border and then added trim to put below the photo.

Please share with me why you "NEED" to blog.

xx

15 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a gorgeous page and a stunning photo. Hope you are going to frame this and hang it in special place.
    Mmmm... my reason for blogging is to share and get inspiration from like minded creative souls.
    Hugs
    Desire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning layout. And I love why you blog. My reasons ar emuch the same - the need to tell my story, but also to be the keeper of memories for our family and for the support i always get from my friends in the computer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loveeeeeeeee that quote and love love love love love your lo!! GORGEOUS!!! I loveeeeeee the photo, the colors, the different sized pennants!! Just WOW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMAZING layout Lynette!! That photo is perfect and I love the blues and yellows inn your papers working with the pic!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this sweet LO of the men in your life! Such a great use of MME. Isn't it so great when you find a book like that which really hits home. I have come across a couple in my life and have hung onto them and written notes and thoughts inside them as I read. I can feel your excitement in finding this book. It is so true that we need to find that place that lets us just be happy with who we are. We need to let go of some unrealistic expectation or caring about what others think of us. Why are we always our own worst critics?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read that book last year and love it. I'm actually busy with her first one now. I really want to finish it tonight :) I just love Brene Brown - have you listened to her two TED talks?

    I blog for community and for free therapy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful layout!!! I love the quote you shared. I needed that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful layout, from the photo to all the lovely strips of DP, and those cute brads, just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great sketch and I just adore your take on it Lynette. Gorgeous photo. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seems like Brene Brown is very popular among the bloggers. I have never ever read one of her books so am going to add it to my list. I blog simply because I MUST. The words HAVE to come out. My blog is my therapy and my way of expressing myself. I love the community of the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your LO, Lynette! you have a full bunch of handsome guys around you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely Lynette and I love the addition of the bling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful layout Lynette and your boys sure a handsome bunch.
    I don't call myself a scrapbooker anymore, but the need to tell the stories runs deep in my veins. Eventually I'll get back into it.

    Happy and blessed Easter to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, such a great layout. Love your take on the sketch. The colour combination of the blue and yellow together is great for your boys. Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥