Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

On Honesty and Surrendering

I have told you in an earlier post that I enrolled for an online course by Stephanie Ackerman called Scrapbook Life Journal.  The January theme is HONESTY and it is your personal journey and each one explores it in their own personal way.  There is fun weekly prompts and you explore your creative side at the same time. I am going to share the pages I have made so far and my thoughts and feelings during this journey.
 January was all about being honest with yourself, with others and ultimately with God.  This quote by Margaret Young was part of the prompt of the month:  "Often people attempt to live their life backwards; they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want, so they will be happier.  The way it actually works is the reverse.  You must first be who you really are, then do what you need to do, in order to have what you want."  So the question is...who are you really.
...but there is more to that.  What about the bits of me that I am not proud of for example:  I am a people pleaser, I want to FIX everything and everyone.  What about the bits of me that my pride will not let me reveal.  The things I struggle with, the things I don't want to accept, the things that I am ashamed of.  Well I had to look at those too...and some of that I had to lay down...and others I am struggling with.
  I love this quote by Tad Williams: "We tell lies when we are afraid.  Afraid of what we don't know, afraid of what others will think, afraid of what will be found out about us.  But every time we tell a lie, the thing that we fear grows stronger.  The doodle above was our January doodle that I covered and added to my journal.   
Here I actually verbalized my feelings about 2012.  "This year I want to EMBRACE life in all it's aspects.  I want to LOVE more, LIVE more, ENJOY the process of life.  I want to GROW in my knowledge and relationship with the LORD.  I want to grow in GRACE.  I will no longer be in the middle.  I will learn to say NO.  I will be a GOD PLEASER not a people pleaser."

Every year we start the year with a few goals...like losing weight, exercising more and eating better.  I made this page with a bit of doodling and a good quote.
On the back of this page I decided to keep a record of my exercising progress for the year.
With the wonderful tool of having Daily mile, where you can record your walking, running and exercising it is great to be able to look back on the past two years.  In 2010 I logged 922km and in 2011 I logged 1320km...that is a LOT of walking. I will continue to record my progress on this page.
When my father passed away in January I made this mixed media project and journalled over the page.
On the back of the page I added photographs taken while in Kidds Beach for my dad's memorial service.

February is the next step in the process:  Surrendering your heart.
Here is my title page.
A doodle by Stephanie Ackerman that I added to my journal.  
Stephanie included some of her art for us to use in our journals.  I wanted to try my hand at it and made my own mixed media heart.  I painted and shaded the background...added some wordy rub ons to the painted background and then cut a heart out of red Basic Grey paper and mod podged it to the backgound.  I then painted around the edges of the heart.

Another doodle by Stephanie that I added to the journal.

I am totally smitten with the whole messy process of a mixed media project...and made this one with the hearts to add to my journal.  This week we had to journal our hearts about surrendering.  Here is my two pages.
This is my personal journey.
Thank you for reading my ramblings.

xx

19 comments:

  1. Lynette, this may just be my favourite scrapbooking post of yours, because I LOVE YOUR WORDS!

    The one thing I want to work on with God this year is to also learn to surrender more and not feel like I have to keep taking control back! *blush*

    PS I ordered a necklace with "create in me a clean heart" - you mentioned that verse somewhere in your post. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also doing the course and am so enjoying it. I really love what you have done with the prompts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are simply amazing!! I loveeeeee them all! I loveeeeeeeee how you journal on your pages!! GORGEOUS! Have a good weekend Lynette!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is such an awesome project. Such a wonderful way to explore yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lynette,

    These pages are so wonderful and beautiful. I love how much you are getting from this class and finding out more about who you want to be.

    How fun to have so many different art pages in one album. Have you shown us what kind of album your using? I can't remember if we talked about it.

    Thanks so much for sharing and I enjoyed reading it.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynette, this is such an amazing post filled with such beautiful work. From the way you describe yourself, I am very much like you. (which i think is a wonderful thing). A people pleaser, wanting to fix every one and every thing. It's called caring and compassion. But we cant fix the world. The world has to be able to fix itself. We may support others through their struggles, but sometimes you have to let them fall so that they will be able to grow their wings. We still want to help. Yet, during others struggles, we struggle silently at times. Who will fix us...That's what family and friends are for. To lean on during the dark hours. Turning to God to release the doubts and fears. Pray and He will hear you. Never suffer alone. I love each and every piece of art you created. I hope this has been therapeutic for you. Surrender your heart..You will receive his blessings. I truly believe that.
    xoxo
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing can be more beautiful than this, I can see your heart and soul over pages and pages of your lovely work!!!! (by the way, I am a pleaser too! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is stunning & so heartfelt. Its a gorgeous post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it is so nice, Lynette, most of all because it is honest ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful hearfelt post Lynette. :) Have a great Sunday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful project:-) Lovely way to learn about ones own strengths and weaknesses and leaning more on God.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing your journey and your thoughts. So, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow....that is some awesome journalling. Well done you. You are so very creative...I dont even know what a mixed media is??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great project & way to get back to yourself! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great project & way to get back to yourself! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great journey you are taking. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job Lynette! Mixed media is so much fun - once you get started you just can't stop. I subscribe to Julie Fei-Fan Balzer's blog 'specially to see what she gets up to every day & even though I don't art journal I find it very inspiring and use a lot of her ideas on my layouts...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing your beautiful pages, and for trusting us with you personal story. Hugs to you. Alison

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can I just tell you how moved I am by these words? Absolutely beautiful. LOVED this post so, so much and needed to read these words tonight more than you'll ever know.
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥