Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

My December in a nutshell.

 My December started on a sad note when my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer and the prognosis is only a few months.  I returned home to find that my son, Wynand and his family have moved to their own home.  This gave us the time to make a few drastic changes to our home. We started white washing our knotty pine ceilings and painting some very dark face brick walls in our home to open up and bring light into the house.
 We also trashed the old entrance to our house that had awful dated mirrors and a plant box...and replaced it with a beautiful modern focal point.
I have such a clever DH...he can do anything he sets his mind too and we saved a lot of money because he did most of the work, with me as his helper;-)  We ended up painting the whole house inside with a lovely Velddrif colour that blended in beautifully with our furniture and decor.  I will do a full photo post on the revamp soon.

On the 4th of December we had our Cell group Christmas party in one of our members wine cellar.
We had loads of laughter and way too much food around this beautifully decorated table.

During December we had two weddings at the Mission and a number of Christmas parties (You can read more about that on our blog)

On the 10th of December our little ones had their Christmas party at their playschool.
Aren't they just too gorgeous.  I will do a full photo post on this soon.

On 19 December Kobus Jr and Lache remarried. It was a quiet ceremony held in the church her uncle pastors.  Only the parents and the two little ones were there to look on.
Tying the knot and saying the "I do's".
"Princess" Leane looking on.
Little Dewan...looking oh so cute.

During all of this we were feverishly working to get the house neat and tidy before our guests...my brother, sister-in-law, children and my parents arrive for Christmas.  Here DH places the final tile in the entrance hall a couple of days before Christmas.
I am totally thrilled with how my house looks now.  It was such fun to choose tiles, new light fittings and decide again where each painting must be hung...but more on that in a later post.
Needless to say, with all this work our tree only went up on the 23rd of December. This photo is compliments of little Lukas...but you can get a great idea of how my ceilings are looking now.
On Christmas Eve, DH donned the suit and played Santa....the first time we do this with the kiddies.  They loved it...shouting up the chimney for Santa to come...and NO they weren't fooled for one minute.  They excepted their gifts from Santa saying "Thank you Oupa.";-) (further photo post will follow)

Christmas Day we had all the children and grandchildren around our table.  My brother had brought my parents down from Kidds Beach and it was such an awesome privilege to have my parents here.  
My dad is very thin, weak and frail.  He is now permanently on Vital air (oxygen machine). It is sad knowing that this will be our last Christmas with him.

On 27 December we took my parents back to their home.  Kobus, Lache and the kids decided to join us and we stayed over at Palm Springs Resort in Kidd's Beach for the evening.
The next morning we went for a walk on the beach.
Then we had breakfast and went to my parents for a last goodbye.
My dad is getting weaker by the day.  He has fallen a few times and is now walking with a walker. He sleeps on a recliner at night as he cannot breathe while sleeping on a bed.  At this stage we can only make him as comfortable as possible and make sure that he has everything that will make his life easier.

Talk again soon.

xx

24 comments:

  1. It was super special reading about your family's trials and tributes during the festive season. Looking forward to the 'Reveal' post of your home's make-over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely catchup post! So enjoy reading it and looking at your beautiful photos. that one of Lukas is one to be framed, that's for sure!

    Dying to see the final result of your home skattebol!

    And i amd so glad to hear that you year did end on a high note.

    lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely catchup post but with such a bittersweet undertone. May these last months with your dad be so rich.

    Your house is llooking amazing, what a transformation hey? Look forward to seeing all pics.

    I wish mo us and lache much love and happiness as they go forward as a family once again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post, Lynette, was great to hear about all the ups and downs. You are sounding well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading all about your December Lynette. You've done a great job with your house. Can't wait to see more pics.
    I often think of you and how your dad's illness must affect all of you. Big hugs to you my friend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear that your dad is declining so fat... I have him and your family in my prayers ... I loveeeeeeee the photos!!! :):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post & the family photos are to be cherished. May 2012 be such a blessing to you & your family.Love the work your hubby did its fantastic. Mmmm gives me inspiration but just need to get my DH inspired !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anita was telling me about the changes, but I am delighted to glimpse them in your post. Am waiting for all the promised photos to come.
    Trust you will have a very blessed 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved your "in a nutshell" post - little snippets of everything!

    Can't wait to see your house reveal!

    So sorry your dad's declining fast BUT I do love how you're embracing every last moment with him. Such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lynnette, I am so sorry for your sadness at this time. I understand so well, recently losing my mom after an illness. My heart goes out to you & yours. Please know I will keep you in my thoughts & prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lynette. I feel your sadness regarding your Dad. My Dad has the same illness, and our Christmas revolved around ambulances and hospitals. I feel everything is completely out of my control. Anyway, that aside it looks like you had a fantastic Christmas with the family, which is what it's all about at the end of the day! Love and prayers. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love to see that things are geting better on your life Lynette.Love to see all these pics,and I will have your dad on my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely catch up post. And love the changes you have made to your home. So sad about the way your dad is wasting away but love how you are all making every day count.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous catch up post Lynette.... all of the pics are fantastic. So sorry to hear about your Dad. My thought and prayers are with you and your family :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely newsy post - boy your December was super busy! I love the look of your makeover - can't wait to see more on that!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a wonderful post of your December. The transitions in your family, celebrations, and special moments.

    Your home looks fabulous--I look forward to seeing more pics :)

    I'm so sorry to hear about your father's rapid decline. What a blessing to spend Christmas with him.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am praying for your father Lynette. I pray that this time with him is something so precious it will uplift him and you.
    e.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds and looks like a great December! So sorry about your dad!
    Great photos, and that Christmas table in the cellar looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I can't believe all that you accomplished BEFORE Christmas! You and your hubby are amazing!
    How neat to have your parents in your home for Christmas, so blessed to enjoy this Christmas with your father. My prayers are with him to feel comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely post, great to read about your December and those kids are just too cute!
    I will have your dad and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. such a lovely post lynette! you worked up a storm before Christmas, i like the party in the cellar.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for sharing your December, Lynette. Your house looks beautiful, and I'm glad you got to spend Christmas with your folks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such sadness mixed with such joy. Thank you for sharing, this was a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bittersweet December. I love the pic of your son and DIL getting remarried.
    Can't wait to see your house pics.
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥