Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

The sound of silence

 “Silence is pure and holy. It draws people together because only those who are comfortable with each other can sit without speaking.” 
― Nicholas SparksThe Notebook

One thing I know.
I love silence.
I am totally comfortable with it.
I cannot function without it.
I need it like I need oxygen and food.
Without it I cannot recharge and refresh.

Another thing I know.
Some people cannot handle silence.
They need to fill it with incessant chatter.
I sometimes wish that these people came with a "mute" button.
My ears become tired of listening.

We (my sister and I)  share a room in Kidd's Beach. In the crazy rush to and from hospital in these past few days, I have come to cherish the quiet moments...the time I need to just relax and become silent.  The little picture above could have been a picture of us.  We can spend all day together, quietly doing our own thing.  I realise how important it is to just be...no talk needed.

How do you feel about silence?

17 comments:

  1. I loveeeeeeeeeee silence :) One of the many reasons I awake before the family everyday :):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE silence. It is essential for me in order to get perspective, and to reason. You are quite right. Some people can't cope with it and they MUST fill up their every waking moment with noise! Also wish that they could come with a mute button.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need silence as well, to clear the workbench of my mind. There are only a few people that are comfortable enough to be silent in your presence for a length of time though and these few need to be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree Lynette. I LOVE silence... When I'm home alone, I don't ever put the TV or radio on and I love it like that. Must be because I grew up on a farm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly the same as you. Too much noise (even if it's just a little) makes my head want to burst.

    Lots of love x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post... I revel in silence.
    Praying for you and your family sweetie.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love silence:-) and to be with someone quietly really is special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also cherish some silence, especially since we don't have much of it in the city!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love silence. Love it. Sometimes the noise level in our house drives me zonkers.I never ever seem to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love silence. I can't stand endless chatterers LOL - I just feel like saying SHUT UP!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree - I really like silence too! I need a bit of silence every day! :D

    BTW - thanks so much for leaving me the loveliest comment on my blog. So nice!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm all for the silence... and silence with friends together is just so great too.

    Just been catching up on your blog too... best wishes for you with your recovery... hope the MRI found something to make you better.

    Also, all the best to your family as you support and love your Dad. Not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it!!! if I don't get a doze of silence at the end of the week i can't cope very well...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Silence is a commodity, a rare commodity these days. And I understand your need and love for it. I feel the same. Sorry to hear of the news about your Dad, how crushing Lynette!! {{HUGS}} You need 'em! And so will he! Prayers offered up for you, your Dad and the rest of your family.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥