Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

Funeral vs Celebration of Life


We had a funeral today at the Mission.  A 39 year old young man died on Sunday after taking an overdose of prescription medication.  I want to believe that it was accidental.  I can't believe that he wanted to die.  He had so much to live for.  He adored his wife of 7 months.  He had accepted the Lord as his Saviour.  He was getting his life in order.  Now he is gone.  I truly believe that he is with the Lord and that where he is there is no more sorrow and no more pain.

I don't handle sad emotional events well.  Feelings are so raw.  You see the regret and guilt of those left behind.  You see all the emotions....the tears...you hear the "what if's".  Then they ask friends and family to say a few words and that is usually when I fall apart at the seams.

An event like this always make me look at my life.  I realize that it is important to live each day to the full, you never know when your time will come. Live in a manner worthy of your calling and walk with the Lord.  It is important to sort out the "unfinished business".  Resolve difficult relationships and live in peace with those close to you.

I remember a time during a Child Play Therapy Course a couple of years ago.  We were told to write our "funeral letter" to establish what unfinished business still lurked.  Gosh, I never did that task and just found it too daunting and too dark.

I just know one thing. When I die, I want it to be a celebration of my life. No long faces and no tears. I want people to remember me with laughter and happiness.  Not regrets and  guilt. I want everyone to wear bright clothes.  I want people to have a jolly happy party.  That would be the "send off" I would love. Lastly, please give me flowers while I am still alive to enjoy them and tell me you love me while I can still hear the words.

xx

16 comments:

  1. I could not agree with you more! I want my funeral to be one filled with laughter about all the good and funny things that I shared with all those I love. Do not mourn me when I am gone, celebrate because I went home to my Heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have mixed feeling reading this post, I am like you, I don't know how to handle sad emotion, sometimes I just wish I don't have sad emotion in my life at all but I know it is impossible.
    And I can't even imagine "what if I am gone"... too sad to handle.
    Thanks for sharing this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your attitude! I will never forget Hunter's aunt had a wake after the funeral - a happy and party like affair for the friends and family with heaps of food just like she used to serve to all and sunder, some good wine and whiskey as she loved her Whizza. It left such a positive experience on me that I am insisting on something similar- a true celebration of her life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you been eavesdropping round our house?

    This is exactly what I tell D about my funeral? Bright colours, all my favourite worship (Third Day and such :)) and a celebration of me (hopefully with lots of good pics like Jeanette takes LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful post Lynette! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How very sad for that young man and his family. Your thoughts are beautiful...A celebration of the life we had is all I ask for..

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sad when someone so young dies, especially if you think it might be their choice. :( I don't handle funerals well at all... even if I didn't know the person that well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Lynette. I hope you have a lovely weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with you.
    Live each day intentionally, enjoy flowers and chocolate now. Say what needs to be said because you never know what tomorrow will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry for the loss of such a young person who had such a bright future.

    I agree with you ... a funeral is a time to celebrate your life well-lived.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great words Lynette! Easier said than done but so true!! So sorry for your loss - I'm sure it must take a while for things to return to normal at the mission after such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so sad....I also want to believe it was an accident...
    You really have had so much to deal with....You really are a strong woman.
    I too say...give me flowers or good words while I am alive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful idea! We should all have parties to celebrate the lives we lived...your party will be especially big (like your heart).
    I am sorry for the loss of the man staying at your mission, so wonderful to have the knowledge that he is with the Lord.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I die, I want every one to wear bright colours to my funeral. i want no grey and no black or drab colours. I want the church to pop with colours and joy and celebration... I dont want mourners, I want revellers...
    There is to much sadness and stiffness and formality at funerals... life is a celebration... and death is a celebration of eternal life x x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the reminder! I agree with you - to be remembered with happy faces, and no regrets!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh, that is so sad. My condolences to his wife and to all left behind.x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥