Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Times have changed...

...since I was a young girl.  In some instances I am glad but in other instances it makes me sad.

It makes me sad when I counsel with a girl of thirteen that looks like an eighteen year old.  When I tell her that she should be playing with toys not with boys...and she laughs because she has no idea what I am talking about.  It makes me sad that parents today have to deal with things like... if a child should or should not be part of the social networks.  There are so many predators out there that I want wrap my grand babies in cotton wool and keep them safe.  Life has become so hectic and there is so much peer pressure that raising children have become a mine field.

Then there are things that makes me glad that times have changed.  When I was a young girl and girls became pregnant the first question would be "when are you getting married?"  and years later the forced marriage would fall apart and become part of the statistics. Today it is not uncommon for young women to raise a child on their own...it is no longer frowned upon.  In my young days when I became pregnant...my growing tummy was hidden by the most hideous tents that you can imagine...today young women show off their precious cargo.

Two weeks ago today Bianca phoned me with the news.  She is pregnant.  I asked her if she was happy.  Was this man her "happily ever after"?  Her reply was no, he was too old and too possessive.  She wasn't living in good conditions.  There was a lot of alcohol abuse, dagga smoking, swearing and racism.  Money didn't last the month and she wasn't eating healthy food.  I told her that she musn't think that she needs to stay in the relationship just for the baby's sake.  She wanted to come home.  Although she doesn't want to continue in the relationship she wants her baby to know his/her father....so I see some difficult times ahead...as the young man still believes that there is a future for them.

This past weekend we drove down to Cape Town to fetch her. Saying that I dreaded going to the place she was staying would be an understatement.  I would have done anything to get out of that one;-)  Meeting the man and his family was very awkward.  Socially and culturally there is a divide as wide as the Grand Canyon between us.(and we are not hoity toity snobs).  We were polite but wanted to get it over with as quickly and painlessly as possible.

So she has come home.  In a year and three months we have come full circle and I have hope.

Oh yes...and my 5th grand baby will be born around 24 March 2012.  A baby is always a blessing from the Lord.

xx

26 comments:

  1. Congratulations.
    Another little grandbaby to love.
    Here's trusting for a smooth pregnancy and a safe delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, yes, a grandbaby is always a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats.xx
    Yes, times have changed and yes, babies are blessings. They also bring about so much growth and healing.
    There are going to be difficult times ahead but it WILL work out in the end.
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing my friend,a baby is always a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad she is home! I have no doubt the road ahead will be rocky at time but at least you are all together, she can care for her unborn and she is out of a damaging relationship. Congrats to you guys - what an exciting time. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I can imagine the feelings you must have! Happy that your daughter is coming back to you! Happy about the baby. But also worried about the situation...

    Congrats! And best of wishes and prayers. So glad she is coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the new baby coming... but I feel your pain and hope that all will work out for the best! I will be praying for you and yours... and thanks for visiting me today, I totally understand that you are busy, so you visiting me made my day! :):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Lynette - I can just imagine the things going through your mind, the worry and the stress. And now, I hope that this will be a positive turn for her - at least, you are the ones who she turned to, and that is the important bit. Congratulations! And I so love love your attitude. You are such a brilliant mom. I hope that someday I can be like you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending you lots of love and hugs.

    I am so glad Bianca has chosen to come home to where she should be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, she is home...thats good news! And like everyone has said...sheh has turned too you for help.

    Congratulations Lynette...I know for sure this little baby will be showered with all the love in the world....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Times definitely have changed... and in some ways for the better. Sure hope your life gets to be a bit more settled now that B is home. Hope there are not too many bumps in the road ahead. Good luck with the expectation of grandbaby number 5.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad she's home with you. Sending you big hugs ... you're one awesome lady!

    ReplyDelete
  13. lynette! a little baby! congrats to you and her and may you all just have a blessed road ahead,God does not put anything on your path that you cannot handle,hey? you will be fine:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh that is quite some news! I am sure that through everything Bianca will come close to you again as she looks to you for guidance & support & that will indeed be a blessing to your relationship :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. now following you.♥
    hope you follow me too♥
    from philippines with ♥
    here's my url mr837.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad she is back with you. Thinking of you on this new road ahead of you. Love x

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you have her home again Lynette. I hope your journey ahead will only bring the two of you closer. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad you have her home & she can get all the care & love. You are so gracious in all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was so surprised to read your news!

    Congratulations on your little blessing and on having Bianca at home again.

    I will pray for her as this can't be easy going through an umplanned pregnancy without the father in the picture.

    Enjoy Plett!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wowzers! What mixed emotion you must be feeling. I love that you said, "A baby is always a blessing from the Lord."
    I believe that with all of my heart. You are such an amazing mother and grandmother. So many lives are blessed because of your example, your love and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a blessing and how wonderful it is that Bianca will be a mother! God has great plans for her and that baby!
    e.

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow! with all the running the past couple of weeks I missed this big new! congratulations! I hope, I really hope that this is new great beginning for all of your lives!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on the new grandbaby.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Difficult times ahead for sure....Not easy for any of you...
    I know you will LOVE this new baby ~ a gift from God indeed...thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I somehow missed the 'announcement' in blog world.

    You know my thoughts and feelings and that I will be by yourside for the ride.

    Lots of lov exx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations on the news of your latest grandchild!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥