Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

Protecting little ones

I did a post this morning and some of you read it before I pulled it....so I feel I should clear things up.
One of these cuties where living on the streets with his mother. He is nearly four.  He came to live with his grandparents a year ago, after his mother was gang raped.  The first years of his life he became a scavenger...eating out of dirt bins...always hungry.  This memory remained and he still stuffs himself at mealtimes, putting extra food into his pockets.  He still scratches in dirt bins and picks up and eats anything that is thrown away.

On Thursday morning he told one of our creche ladies that his grandpa hurt him "there".  So the red lights started flashing and I contacted the social service that specifically deal with children in crisis...they only responded today.  They first spoke to the little one and had the same reaction that I had, but it was cleared up once they had an interview with the grandparents.  This little one grew up without any idea of basic cleanliness and he started festering "there"...so his grandpa showed him how to keep himself clean.  Because it was festering it was painful to pull it back and that is what the little boy was telling us.  I am just SO relieved.

Now the question is....am I sorry that I contacted the authorities?
The answer is no....I believe that we are living in a sick society and I would rather be safe than sorry.

The truth is that the majority of the adults that are on our program were molested as children.  The perpetrator was usually a relative.  It ruined their lives and a lot of them fell into addictions as a result. They don't trust anyone and have a problem with anybody in authority...because those who were supposed to protect them, took advantage of them. I would do anything in my power to prevent the next generation from going through that.

So....what would you have done?

20 comments:

  1. I thought you'd pull that post.

    I would have done exactly the same thing. I so struggle with the fact that little ones are molested by their relatives, it breaks my heart. So i would have gone with my gut feeling and done the same.

    I am SO relieved that it was nothing. Rather safe than sorry as they say.

    Love you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did EXACTLY what you should have done. There are way too many sick people out there and those poor children need someone that is willing to try to protect them.
    I have a friend who has lived through this and never had anyone advocate for her (even after telling some adults what was happening by another family member) and she still has issues at 41 years old because of what she lived through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would've done what you did, to be safe rather than sorry. We need more people like you out there! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the others - and thank God it was easily explained.
    What a relief that at least the little one didnt have that trauma to cope with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know that everything turned out okay. I think you did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Lynette! I am so relieved - for you, for the boy, for the grandparents. Overwhelmed with joy that he is not another statistic! You did the right thing, you did NOT turn away because it was uncomfortable and too hard or tricky. We applaud you for that - and we continue to pray for you - for strength and wisdom in this calling of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly the same as you!

    I would also be safe than sorry, esp with little kids who have no-one to speak for themselves

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have done the SAME thing... sadly, when Adam's dad and I were going through our divorce... there was physical abuse on his side that I did have to report...hardest thing I had to do... because I went through a ton of 'what if I am wrong?'... but in the end, sadly I wasn't...and because I reported it... it stopped and adam recovered and his dad became a better person... you did the right thing and I am glad that it turned out to be nothing.... you are an amazing woman! :):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have done the same thing. rather be proved wrong than be right and the child continues to suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You definately did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. THANK YOU for doing what you did. I am relieved that it was nothing to worry about but what if it was? You did the right thing and if I were in your shoes I would not have hesitated to do exactly what you did.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you did the right thing - and I toally agree that it's better to be safe than sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you did the right thing, really, we rather be safe than sorry when it comes to little ones, the priority should be their safety and nothing else!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did the right thing - of course! MelB puts it perfectly xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so in agreement with you & would have done the same. Please do not stop doing what you are doing, even though I am not sure how you handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just read your "deleted" post and then this one... I feel for you and reckon if I was in the same situation as you I would also have phoned.... better safe than sorry. Not easy dealing with these issues in today's time. Would hate something like this to happen to my child (or any child for that matter) and nothing got done about it. Keep up your excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lynette - I have tears in my eyes over this post - tears of relieve that in this instance the little one had not been abused - but also tears of sadness that he so easily could have been and also just sad that even though it was not abuse - it was still painful and he is so innocent - You definately did the right thing...although I do not know how you do what you do every single day - You are an awesome lady...Lots of love

    ReplyDelete
  18. Exactly what you did - well done! And also so relieved...

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did good! You could not have ignored it! Thanks for looking after their interests.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥