Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

“Tears are words the heart can't express”

You get so many tears.
Tears of sorrow
Tears of pain
Tears of frustration
Tears of happiness...and many more.

Yesterday, while in a counseling session I was hit with a deluge of tears. No, it was not me doing the crying:-)  She stopped crying when she was just a little girl, because crying just brought a harsher punishment.  She learned the lesson ... tears doesn't soften hearts and nobody comes to her aid when she cries.  The flood of tears lasted 40 minutes and it was gut wrenching sobs that came from her very being.  I just sat with tears streaming from my eyes too....but it was tears of gratitude that at last she is experiencing the healing that tears brings. At last she can grieve her lost childhood and her lost innocence.

It reminds me of a documentary I saw years ago about the orphanages in Romania, where even the babies stopped crying because nobody came to their aid.  What a sad, sad world we are living in.

She could not understand what brought the tears.  I told her that the Lord created us with all our emotions intact.  The cruelty of people and life in general numbs our emotions and we start suppressing our feelings.  That is not the way God intended us to be...He doesn't want us to be hard and callous.  He wants soft hearts and an even softer spirits.  So when He starts a healing work, He fixes the emotions and He softens our heart so that we can deal with all the pain that He wants to heal.

Last year I cried a river...first when my son lost his sight and months later, when I walked into my daughter's empty room en realized that she ran away in the middle of the night.  I remember days when DH and I clung to each other, fearful and heartbroken...and then the tears came and the pressure would be relieved.

The place I go to when I need a good cry is the shower:-)  That way the sobbing is drowned out by the water....and I climb out with a head that feels like cotton wool and a stuffy nose....but with a heart that is no longer too heavy.

Do you cry?  Do you have a safe place to run to when you need to sob your heart out?


xx

24 comments:

  1. Ag moeder, daardie ou dogtertjie se hartjie sal mos breek. Ek wou sommer saam huil toe ek dit sien.
    My crying place is often the bath, must be the healing qualities of water, you cry in the shower, I cry in the bath. Must admit, crying has never been a problem for me, I cry when I am happy, or sad, or angry, or excited, I cry in a movie, I cry when I read a good book, I often cry when I read other peoples's blogs. My mother, on who's shoulder I often used to ccry was of the opinion that My bladder and tearducts were switched - she said no person could have that many tears in just a tearduct. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I struggle to cry.But I do once in a while and yes, the shower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cry about everything I see, even now after I read your post!
    Luckily I don't have to cry about my life as it is now. But I used to long ago, in the bath as well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work must be so hard yet so rewarding. Thats so sad people can be so cruel. I struggle to cry because I don't like to lose control but I do cry. Into my pillow and the end result is not pretty LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad to say, this just call to me right now, I do cry, a lot, but I think I am at a stage that I don't even know if I still feel it, denial???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couldn't agree more, crying is like the little valve on top of a pressure cooker....keeps the balance just right :0)
    xxx
    A

    ReplyDelete
  7. Believe it or not, I am not physically surrounded by emotional people (except for Brookie, but she is still young), and I AM a very emotional person... I cry while watching a TV show, and no one has ever come to my aid when I cry... but I still do it...because that is who I am. I am a crier. I guess I never really realized that before, that even when I cry, no one comes to my aid, they just say... "Oh that's just Julie crying, she does it all the time"... like its no big deal... hmmmmmmmmm... you have given me something to think about... {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  8. i dont like to cry.. well, who does, right? i hope i never have to cry unless they are sad movies.. but crying can do us good.. it depends.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nou sit ek hier en die trane loop ... ek het jou blog laas jaar al begin lees, en ek het gelees dat daar hartseer in jou lewe was, maar el kon nie vind wat her gebeur. Die lewe is vol 'lessons'... and you are so faithful. I'm sorry for the hurt ... I too escape to the shower for a good cry.

    Hope your weekend is wonderful ... Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post. So sad to think of how life can be so hard. I cry when I need to and don't usually make it to a private place. It just happens. Feels good to get it out though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That story is so sad that I can imagine it would make you cry as you are filled with love and compassion....
    I cry often...and easily!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doesn't take much to make me cry. But when I need to cry about something big, then it is heart wrenching sobs and usually i'm sitting on the floor with my head resting on my knees.

    WHat a blessing to her that you were by her side whilst she cried. I can imagine just how comforted she was just by your presence.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how I wish I could cry a good cry at times. It doesn't happen enough...because the rare times it has...it's washed my soul.
    Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a beautiful post. Tears are so important to our very existence. How wonderful that the woman in your counseling session was able to find her tears again, they are so very important.

    I am like you, I cry in the shower and then snuggle up in my bed and cry some more. It is extra nice when I have a hubby to snuggle up to.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the world dashes in to "cheer" people up - but i agree crying is important. the other day my son had a huge disappointment and my instinct was to cheer him up but a little voice said "let him" so I just lay with him as he cried and spoke out all the feelings. then it all dried up and I realised if I had not let him get it out it could have just got pushed inside. thank you for the confirmation that its ok to be no-ok sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tears are God's healing waters. Too often I hold mine in, not wanting others to know how I'm feeling. I usually wait to let them out at night while I'm lying in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nope - like here it never got me anywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooops - meant her! Better for me not to cry about that old stuff cos it won't change it...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I used to cry, and then the wall came down and no tears were shed, but over this last year or so have finally relearnt that its ok. my safe place would have to be the car or with one of my close friends:-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I cry all the time. I find that crying really does help release what's inside of me and I really feel much better after I cry. I think its an important emotion! I will cry anywhere too, I don't care because I am not afraid to show that emotion because that is what I am feeling when I am feeling it!
    e.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Lynette - As usual, a truely beautiful post...Yes, I cry - I find huge release in it - Am still waiting for the "BIG" cry for my mom's passing away - I have had some small little bouts, but not what I thought would happen - Maybe a part of me is holding back, thinking I am too "grown" up to cry - I really don't know - Wish I could.....perhaps I will in time...Anyway, you certainly have a beautiful way of writing...Lots of Love

    ReplyDelete
  22. I cry here there and everywhere but if I am really needing a good sob feast then usually I might be in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The shower is my spot too! A good cry feels so good, I don't think we do it enough. This was good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful ! I am struggling with my inability to cry and it is hindering my progrss in therapy. I can not get in touch with my sadness, i can not let go of my need to control ! It is frustrating.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥