Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

The Scenic Route

When we returned from Cape Town on Monday we decided not to take the coastal road as there is so many roadworks and can cost you an additional 3 hours on the road.  When DH told me we will be driving the Langkloof road, my first reaction was:  "How boring." I was pleasantly surprised with the scenic route and decided to do a photo post of our road trip...and show you some beautiful and some very funny scenes.

When we left Cape Town we drove through Stellenbosch and Franschoek towards Paarl....just look at these beautiful majestic mountains.
You can see the grape vines at the foot of these mountains.  This is the winelands of our country.
I would quite happily live here and just stare at the scenery all day.
We have never been to visit the Afrikaanse Taalmonument in Paarl and decided to make a detour.  I am glad we did because I am very proud of my Afrikaans roots.
Each of the pillars and every other element of the monument symbolizes the rich history of our language.
We then decided to drive over the Du Toit's kloof pass instead of through the tunnel...the beauty of these mountains are breathtaking.
The view over Paarl...on a clear day you can see Table Mountain from up on the mountain.

This is the quick way to the other side of the mountain.When entering one end of the 3.9 kilometre tunnel the other end cannot be seen. The southern tunnel was completed and on the 18th March 1988 the Hugenote Tunnel was opened. It has cut the distance travelled between Cape Town and Worcestor by eleven kilometres. 
 The route we took, took us through this old tunnel.

We drove through Worcester and on the road between Worcester and Robertson we came across this interesting farm stall.
I know my American bloggy friends are used to seeing massive pumpkins...but here where we don't celebrate halloween, pumpkin carving and Thanks giving it is still something we are not used to.
There was a very prominent sign that said you're not allowed to take photos unless you make a donation to the local school....so we made a donation and snapped away.
Quite something don't you think.
Not much to buy inside and they had no massive pumpkin seeds for us to buy.
A few kilometers down the road we came across this....
...cute hay bale family.
Pear trees outside Ashton
The natural tunnel through the mountain towards Montague.
Looking back.
On the other side of the tunnel some more mountain ranges.
This donkey cart was standing outside the restaurant in Montague where we stopped for lunch.
A very unique "no smoking" sign inside the restaurant.
A typical Cape Dutch house in Montague.
Just outside of Montague we came across these grape pickers...we got some grapes from them and they were so sweet that they will probably be used as raisins or for port.
This area is well known for its soft fruits and a lot of dried fruit comes from here.  Here fruit is being dried on a large scale.
An amazing amount of dried fruit being processed. The road became a tad boring and the ground dry and arid...and we could not believe our eyes when we saw this.
I do believe a lot of people stop here just because they are inquisitive to see what is happening here.  It is a restaurant and bar in the middle of nowhere.
It seems that passersby are very keen to donate a bra or panty or thong to be hung in the bar.  I decided to hang onto mine;-)
Just before we got to Oudtshoorn this truck nearly lost its load in front of us.
Oudtshoorn is well known for its big Ostrich farms.
Can you imagine having so many children?
This beautiful stone house with its broekie lace is a typical style of home in Oudtshoorn.
In the Karoo many farmers farm angora goats for its hair that is exported to many countries.
When you leave Oudtshoorn you drive through the "Langkloof" where apples and pears are farmed.  The Langkloof is literally a long valley between two mountain ranges.
This sign is on a farm fence outside of Joubertina and probably put up by a very fed up farmer.

Thank you for coming with me on this trip...and good for you if you made it to here. 
Have a wonderful weekend.

xx



30 comments:

  1. Woow what a pleasure to see all those photos Lynette!!!! I´ve been to South Africa many years ago and I love it.I know some places you visited as Oudtshoorn it was so fun we run over the ostriches.You named Stellenbosch what a beautiful place.I would love to come back with my family because I went on 1991 with my father when I was single!!!
    I really enjoyed your trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwwwwwwwwwwww! What an amazing trip and what AMAZINGLY GORGEOUS photos!! I loveeeeeee them...and hehehehehehe..the bra bar makes me giggle!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow - what an adventure!!! I was giggling and saying "ahhhhh, so beautiful". Thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOO ! FAB PICS ! thanks for sharing a glimpse into this part of Africa which I would never have known of !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats so cool!
    Fabulous pics, loved them and loved seeing them through your eyes:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a really great post. Love the shot of you sitting on the pumpkins, gives a great sense of perspective.
    We've driven past Ronnies sex shop lots of times and never gone in.
    Love touring with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing, it is always great to learn a little more.
    p.s - those baby ostrich are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely LOVED this post Lynette! I love doing photo stories of my journeys - soooooooooo interesting for others I think - I love the "sex shop" & that sign is classic {last photo} - you need to translate that - with a few **** to block out the expletives - for those in other countries who don't have a grasp of the Afrikaans langauge - hilarious...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ja nee, daai boer is gatvol! My hele familie het nou lekker gelag vir daardie bordjie. Lyl of julle lekker vakansie gehou het. Hoop Bianca is nou gelukkig en jou hart kan ook bietjie tot ruste kom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really great pics and commentary, Lynette! I enjoyed that immensely :) Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely loved reading your blog and looking at the photos - you managed to make me feel almost jealous for missing out on the trip!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your awesome pics with us Lynette - so fabulous to see them. I don't know the Cape at all and would love to do a few trips there. Maybe this December when the children go to their Dad Graeme and I should look into it.

    Have a wonderful weekend - it's wet wet wet here in Jo'burg!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you Lynette for taking me on this trip with you! we never drove this road... we have an amazinly beautiful country!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It always makes me smile to know there is someone else out there that loves driving our roads as much as I do... you just never know what new exciting experience {or sign} is around the corner!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow your photos are fantastic a wonderful story in pictures. I love travelling & seeing our country too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. MANIFICENT...what more can I say xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! It looks like you had a wonderful time! I love the huge pumpkins and the scenery is gorgeous!
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lynette those are some very gorgeous photos and I am so glad that you guys decided to go that route instead!!! Some amazing landscape, buildings, and interesting things! All of your photos are wonderful!
    Hoping that your week is blessed!
    e.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What amazing photos! Wow! Those will be awesome to scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what magnificent photos!

    Annie Kate

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nothing nicer than a road trip. I loved the pictures you chose x x

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow - lots of interesting photos

    thanks for the anniversary wishes

    hugs

    Betty Bake x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm homesick and these have made my longing worse...and how beautiful and creative are the small villages in the Cape...thanks so much for sharing your trip...it really looks like something I would love to do with my hubby over December time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stunning! I think I need a holiday in the Cape again... Thanks for taking us with :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great trip!!!!!!
    And no- I cannot imagine having that many children!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful photos! They are drool worthy!
    And you look gorgeous lady!

    Happy Monday!
    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lordy, sitting here with tears in my eyes! Ek verlang na Suid Afrika! Left 11 years ago, and the only place I truly miss is CT. Thank you for the trip down memory lane! xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lynette, I SO loved looking through these photos of your countryside! What fun! You should make this into a mini book or digital book. Fabulous memories and beautiful landscapes.

    I especially love the photo of the mama ostrich and her babies :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOVED the farmer's gatvol sign. I laughed loud (and it is quiet with the babies sleeping and D reading)!

    All the pics are gorgeous - you are so good to blog these timeously - that's where I don't do well. I take pics and download weeks later, blog even later.

    Your hair looks gorgeous by the way, and glad you hung onto your underwear - I canNOT believe the sex shop!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥