Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

What is your dream?

I haven't been around much lately.  I will try to catch up on all my blog reading this weekend.

We have been very busy at the mission, only last week we took in 14 and this week 7 homeless people.  So much heartbreak and brokeness that sometimes it becomes so very overwhelming. Then something happens that reminds us why we do this work.

Two years ago they came to the Mission.
Him, his girlfriend and their 9 month old baby.
They have been living in a wreck at a scrapyard nearby.
Totally addicted to alcohol and crack cocaine.
He had the "small man syndrome."
To be a man he had to drink, drug and fight.
After a few weeks when he was sober he was in couseling with our social worker.
"I have a dream" he said "I want to become a Code 14 truck driver."
After a few months we could trust him enough to allow him to work on one of our outside projects.
He began to earn money and saved every sent.
He did not trust himself so he put it on a 32 day call account.
On Monday he walked into my office.
He is on his way to Bloemfontein to go on a 2 month course to obtain his heavy duty drivers license.
In two years he saved the R20000 that he needed to reach his dream.
He now says:  "It takes a man to say no to alcohol and drugs, and it takes a man to follow the Lord."
My heart is full and all that I can say is:
"Look what the Lord has done!"

This is what we live for...that we can continue to touch lives and help others to dream again...and to reach their dreams.

I saw this quote on a blog recently:

I will keep going, keep fighting, keep on this path no matter how harsh the conditions, no matter how cruel the critics, no matter how confused the onlookers, no matter how steep the trail, no matter how gray the sky, no matter how what direction others are going...I will keep going this way that God has sent me on this path that God has put me on, I will keep joyfully going until He gives me my very last breath. ~ M. Jighetti
 
What is your dream?

20 comments:

  1. You are ONE AMAZING woman!! WOW WOW WOW!! This touched my heart!!! God bless you Lynette! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wat 'n pragtige getuienis! Jesus leef en die verhaal getuig daarvan. Bid vir jul bediening, mag die Here julle ryklik seen met alles wat nodig is om 'n verskil te maak. xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an INCREDIBLE story - GOD certainly is stong enought to move mountains. How lovely to be involved in such rewarding work!
    xxx
    A

    ReplyDelete
  4. Needed those encouraging words - thanks and blessings back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, I am humbled by you. What great work you do. I will continue praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey you! I have been really consumed by a very sick Pug and have really fallen short from sending you that heart wreath. I am no way going to be able to get it to you before Valentines day but have an adorable back up gift I will send you instead! I will wrap this up and get it into the mail to you this next week. Hugs and love your way! =O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful, amazing story. Thanks for your great work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely story. It's amazing how God gives us 'rewards' in the form of glimpses of the result of the work we put in.

    I am sure that there will be plenty more people who you will look back at one day and see the hand of God in their lives and know that often you were the ones who extended it. Awesome stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I love this story so much. I will pray for him today. Thank you for being there. Thank you for making a difference. Thank you for sharing Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow Lynette...how incredibly awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sure must be very satisfying! This is sure what life is all about! Love to hear such stories! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Lynette - what a true blessing and reassurance of the grace of our Lord. Wonderful. You are an inspiration.

    I hope you have a fabulous Valentine's celebration :-)

    Met sommer baie liefde :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What amazing story of triumph. I think it's so amazing that you can be a part of the Lords work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that is such an awesome testimony , Lynette ! Thank you for the wonderful reminder !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a heart-warming story! And hunbling x x
    I've said it before.... you are an Angel walking amongst us x

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing uplifting thing you are so blessed to do this work & I just pray God continues to give you the strength and dreams. I admire your work it must be so many highs & lows but so fntastic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gee Lynette I love that story & I love that quote! It does certainly make every day you spend at the mission worthwhile! I have several dreams - some of which have already materialised - praise God!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥