Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Walk down memory lane


Yesterday was my DH's 56th birthday. We had a romantic candle light dinner at De Kelder...just the two of us.  I am so blessed to have been part of his life for the last 32 years. A while ago Allie wrote about how she met her husband and the start of their journey together and I remember wanting to do a similar post, but then I forgot about it again...until now.

We met when I was 17 and still at school.  He was a manager at the Pick 'n Pay where I worked for pocket money.  From the first day I saw him, I thought he was the most handsome man I have ever seen.  He quickly realized that I would blush when he talked to me...and he has always been a tease.  I never thought that he would be interested in me.  Our relationship only developed after my parents moved to Cape Town and I lived with my grandparents for the remainder of my final school year.  According to the Pick 'n Pay rules employees were not allowed to have relationships, so for 6 months we went out without anybody at work knowing about it...very exciting as you never knew who you would bump into when you were out.  We loved dancing and our favourite places were the Minetti Hotel in Seaview and the Skyroof at the Marine Hotel.

We got married a mere 4 months after I finished school...and I would have it no other way. Neither of us are perfect, but we are a good fit, perfect compliments to each other. Where I am weak, he is strong and vice-versa.   I love him with all my heart, even when he is driving me crazy. :-)
  • I love the way we finish each other's sentences.
  • I love the fact that we will grow old together.
  • I love the way you protect and defend me.
  • I love how you make me feel when we cuddle.
  • I love the way you still tease me and make me laugh.
  • I love it that you have taught me not to take life and myself to seriously.
  • I love the way you are a godly father to our children.
  • I love it that you are the best Oupa any child can ask for.
  • I love the way you care for me when I am feeling vulnerable.
  • I love how I know you'll always be there when I need you to be.
  • I love the way I can't imagine a day without you in my life.
  • I love your ability to speak without saying a single word.
  • I love the way I know you'll never give up on me.
  • I love you for you!
xxx

18 comments:

  1. I love this post!

    Happy birthday to K for yesterday.

    May he have many many blessed years ahead of him.

    Such a good looking young man ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's an amazing story! I would freak out when my teen marries right out of school... ;-) But those were different times!
    And congrats on the Bday and that you still cherish each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful,gave me tears in my eyes,may the two of you grow VERY grey toegther:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful....true love indeed....love happy ever after stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post Lynette. I can't believe how much you son's look like their dad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet....and ironic too, as today is my Hubby's birthday and I did a post about him! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a lovely post, I hope he gets to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome ... maar laat my in trane en my klein ou hartjie 'n bietjie seer omdat ek vas gegloo het dat ek en my man sou oud saam word. Maar, die duiwel het sy weg gekry.

    Life is so full of interesting twists and turns along the way and it warms my heart to see couples making it through the twists and turns together.

    This is just beautiful and I am looking forward to seeing the layout do with this ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a touching post.. you remind me of the song Just the way you are by Billy Joel...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ag dis so mooi! Happy Birthday to Kobus for yesterday. Gosh Kobus Jr and Wynand both look so much like their dad did.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely. A poignant post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, so beautiful. This had me in tears.
    Happy, Happy birthday to your husband.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! that is so lovely and beautiful.
    Belated Happy Birthday to your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful!!! I have been going through here and catching up with all the blogs I have been missing!!! am always in awe of your beautiful scrapbook pages...you are so creative! I love all the precious pictures of your grandbabies too! You are so blessed! OK..I have your gift all wrapped and ready to send you...please email me your address...I can not remember what post you put it in? Anyway my email is housefrau2@yahoo.com I would like to get this gift on it's way to you!!!! =O) Hugs and love your way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh what a good post...you are both very blessed!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY to Kobus!! Sounds like you had a lovely time :) Loved reading about how you 2 met - quite the clandestine affair hee hee... Love that you met your love & married, as you should, instead of waiting around forever as is today's trend. I also met Shane at 17 & it wasn't a day too soon :) Hope you are having a lovely week my friend. You are doing some beautiful scrapbooking - your Get Picky challenge is going to trounce mine for sure - it si so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful post to write to your hubby - I feel the love :)

    You write so very beautifully and I love how you said he shows you what God's love is like.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥