Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A brand new year - 2011


For me, the New Year, in a symbolic sense, brings with it new possibilities.   I associate The New Year with a fresh canvas that sits and waits for us in silence to fill it with the vibrant colours of life.  The New Year offers us fresh starts.  It consciously reminds us to do away with the old and welcome the new - for me saying goodbye to 2010 does not bring any sadness and it is with anticipation and excitement that I look forward to this brand new year.  I catch myself often sitting silently and reflecting on the year that was...this year can only be better.

We have had a few quiet days after Christmas.  Wynand and Nadia went camping in Baviaanskloof with friends and Lukas stayed behind with us for 5 days.  On New Years eve Kobus jr and his friends left for Mosselbay.  I love the quiet and the peace after the busyness of Christmas.  I have done a lot of thinking about my word for 2011.  Last year the word that I chose was "excellence" and the year proved so difficult that I can only hang my head in shame at how I failed this little word.  Which brings me to my choice for this year...I did a lot of thinking and the only word that makes sense to me after all the trauma and problems last year was:
"breathe"
I did not enjoy the whole process of life last year and as we went from one crisis to another...all I wanted was to get it over.  This year I want to enjoy the process, breathe more deeply and live...truly live, not just exist. A few fabulous quotes come to mind:
"Breathe.  Let go.  And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure" ~ Oprah Winfrey
"For breath is life, and if you breathe well you will long on earth". ~ Sanskrit Proverb

"Just breathe...you will never live this moment again."

To this word I have added a Scripture from the Word of God.  The Scripture that I want to keep close to my heart this year is in Phillipians 4:4-7:
 4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!   (I realise that rejoicing is not dependant on my emotions and my feelings...it is a choice I have to make on a daily basis.)
5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 
 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. (this is the key...praying about the things that makes you anxious.)
  7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (the wonderful promise of peace that will guard my heart and mind...

xx

21 comments:

  1. A lovely post lynette. For any lesser person, the 2010 that you faced would have brought them to their knees - so I say you did excel for 2010! Well done you, special lady :)
    Wishing you a peaceful 2011 with lots of breathing space x x
    PS - your word verification thing is asking me to spell "pures" - I think thats a message... may your 2011 be PURE bliss :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely thought provoking post, I know this year you are going to fly. Love your word, think mine is PEACE, we have had so much upheaval (although positive) in 2010 that I am looking for a quiet year in 2011 :0)
    xxx
    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely inspiring post my friend.

    I don't think that 2011 could throw you any curveballs that you would not bat away easily.

    But i do wish that this year is a peaceful, calm year that allows you to breathe deeply and live life to the full.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lynette, I wish you a wonderful year ahead.
    I agree with Kirsty, I totally believed you excelled last year.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect word! LOVE IT!! And loving those QUOTES!! WOW WOW WOW!!!! This one really hit me... I think I am going to use it on a lo! "Just breathe...you will never live this moment again." :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh...BREATHE.
    I like that.
    A Lot.
    Can this be my word too?
    :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I like your word! just reading it makes one want to do it:-)
    this year, my word is faith.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome word...here is to a GREAT year ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soos altyd, is jy 'n inspirasie.
    I too have chosen a word that will hopefully be more successful than last year's one. This year it is simply 'better'. I am trying to do better than before at everything i do.
    A very Happy New Year to you and your family. I can feel this is going to be a better year for all of us. I feel it in my bones and these bones don't lie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful word,with so much meaning actually,enjoyed reading this post:)
    Have a lovely day:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful word Lynette, makes me think of letting go and just being! hope that you are blessed in the year ahead with all that your heart desires!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Breathe and rejoice! Words that I will carry with me as well!

    May you have a much better year than 2010! May 2011 be blessed and peaceful, and may you "excell" way beyond expectations!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my friend, you certainly had a tough year. I think you chose the perfect word. It was so good to see you again. Tons of love...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lynette - Love your post - I had not thought of a word for the year, but based on what I said in my TUT post a few minutes ago, I think my word should be "DREAM" - if we can not dream, I don't think we can live properly..I "DREAM" for you that 2011 is "PEACEFUL" and "BEUATIFUL" with many "BREATHtaking" moments...Lots of love

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful, thoughtful, words. Thank you, Lynette.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Breathe" is an excellent choice!! I hope this year brings you joy, love, and less heartache. This is going to be a big year!! You know we are only a couple of months apart (wink) I would never have guessed!! You are beautiful inside and out.. Your have the most gracious heart of anyone that I know. You give of yourself like no other. This is time to take some of it back, and just breathe...
    Thank you for the scripture and your loving words...xxxooo
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very beautiful and inspiring post, Lynette! I'm sorry I've not been around to visit lately, things have been crazy here but now that I'm back from overseas things should go back to normal now. Breathe - that is SO very perfect! Happy 2011!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy New Year Lynette...I will be back to my normal blogging when Lauryn leaves on the 13th...have been catching up with your blog via my feedreader and keeping them unread as I want to spend time commentating....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great Word for your YEar! Love it! Happy New Year! May the Lord bless you and give you and allow peace and stillness you long for! But my friend you don't have to hang your head because with each battle you leaned on Him and you allowed Him to gain glory! You were a shinning light to others (to us) as you fought the good fight! Thanks for sharing your journey so that we can all be inspired to grow in our Lord! And to the NEW YEAR I pray it is full of Peace and the stillness to hear the still small voice of the LORD as He Restores your soul Psalm 23

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful post. I think breathe is a perfect word for 2011!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Much love my friend! I love your word so much that I may have to take it on as my own! So often we get wrapped up in whatever is going on (both the good and the bad) that we don't take the time to breathe! When I remember this, it's much easier for me to remember that the Lord has my back and is with me always... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥