Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Big Scare


Some of you might remember that I posted this in April this year.  Well, with all the excitement in my life I clean forgot about the appointment I had with the rheumatologist on Tuesday this week.  Fortunately the doctor's rooms phoned to remind me about the appointment.  My first reaction was to cancel it, but I decided that I have waited since April, so I might as well go.  You know...what do I have to lose anyway.

I must admit I was pleasantly surprised with this lovely lady doctor.  She thorougly examined me, checking all my joints, pushing on all the tender points related to fibromyalgia and sent me for blood tests.  The seratonin levels of fibromyalgia sufferers are generally way lower than it is supposed to be.  Then we sat down for a long talk and for the first time in the past eight years I got answers to my questions.  NOTHING LIKE LADY DOCTORS...THEY THINK LIKE US:-)

She told me that I am the first patient that she has come across that have been living with this syndrome for so long and do not suffer from depression.  Apparently the bad sleeping and constant pain usually pushed people into depression   YAY ME!  When I feel so bad that I just want to pull the blanket over my head and feel sorry for myself, I push myself out of bed, get on the treadmill and walk until the good endorphins kick in...then I get ready for work and it is life as usual.  It is an act of will and the grace of God.  I know that this is not something I can do in my own strength and I thank the Lord that I don't suffer from depression.

Anyhow,  she has changed my medication and I am now on what some call the miracle pill for fibromyalgia.  Lyrica is an antiseizure medication that also have the properties of relieving nerve pain.  She also prescribed some tablets that will help me to sleep.  On Tuesday night I only took the Lyrica...I don't like meds and wanted to start slow.  All was well, until we were woken by Marc at 3 o'clock yesterday morning.  Bianca had a seizure, he freaked out and took her to the hospital where she was stabilized.  Yesterday was spent running around and organising that she gets her meds in Johannesburg.  Bottom line is that I was stressed and tired from broken sleep.

Last night I decided to take the sleeping meds with the Lyrica.  Immediately after taking the meds my mouth and lips started tingling and then my chest closed up totally and I could not breathe.  I get asthma when the seasons changed so my immediate reaction was to grap my Symbicort and inhale.  I had to take four doses before I could breathe again.  The overdose of Sybicort got my heart racing...I thought it so funny at the time. By then my DH was seriously worried.  Next thing my hands began to itch and turned blood red and I started getting hives in all the warm places of my body and it ITCHED.  I recall very little after this.

DH got me dressed as I was already in pj's and rushed me to the emergency room.  By now apparently my face and body was covered in a red rash, my lips had ballooned and I looked pretty much like a turkey.  The emergency team put me on a drip and started administering cortisone and phenerghan.  By that time I was so sleepy and totally stoned from the meds that I don't know how I got home and into bed.  This morning when I woke up at 7 o' clock I could not understand why I felt tired when I got into bed before 10 last night.  My memory is like a piece of cheese with huge holes in it. 

I am shaky, tired and totally "dof" and I am staying in bed.  The doc will phone me later to tell me how to proceed with my medication.  My hope is that it is not the Lyrica but the ambian in the sleeping meds that affected me.

18 comments:

  1. That sounds like a bad allergic reaction to one of the meds. I'm allergic to penicillin and a horrific rash all over my body was the symptom of the allergy. My glad your hubby was there to take care of you and that you have recovered from this scary episode. Take it easy and get lots of rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dit ook nog!

    Ai kind -
    Pretty scary stuff!
    Glad you're ok -
    I also hope its the sleep stuff and not the miracle stuff thats the problem.
    Take care of you, and rest well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your scare...
    Glad that you are taking a bit of bed rest! Hope they sort out the meds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness me! What a tale!! Stay in bed & take it easy today Lynette. Jack takes Lyrica regularly as he has been hit in the forehead with a ball so many times playing sport that he now has neuralgia. Sure it must be the ambian as I've not heard of such a reaction on the Lyrica & you took it the day before & were fine! Hugs XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynette, my prayer for you today is that you are filled with all the strenth you need to overcome these hard times and He will comfort you in His arms today as you recover. Take it easy GF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. May God hold you in his hands and send you lots of love and comfort...Try to relax and rest - You have had a horrible emotional and physical period - Hope you start to feel better soon - Lots of love

    ReplyDelete
  7. pretty scary, good luck with a quick recovery

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh no ... poor you and Bianca!!!! I hope things get better real soon for both of you!! I have been wanting to visit my doctor and get myself tested for that too...I am ALWAYS in pain, the hips being the worst of it... and they have tested me for everything BUT that!! Prayers for you and Bianca!! I hope the doctor finds answers soon! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Lynette, I'm so sorry! I hope you are feeling better soon. HUGS x

    ReplyDelete
  10. !!!!!!

    I am so glad you are okay Lynette! HOw scary for Kobus - sjoe. Keep us posted my friend.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Lynette! How scary!!!
    I hope you're doing ok....
    Hugs and prayers for you today!!!!

    (I love lady doctors....they GET IT!)

    (I wanted to say to that I appreciate your comments on my posts...they mean a lot!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Weet net hoe dit voel! Arme jy, hoop jy voel darem al beter. Hierdie jaar moet nou begin einde kry, genoeg is genoeg.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hope you're feeling better already my dear!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds very much like you had an awful allergic reaction to your sleeping meds... how horrid... sure hope the doc manages to sort it out 1-2-3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jirre Lynette!!! Hope you are feeling much better!
    I have a few patients on Lyrica. It works very well for some patients - mostly those with spinal nerve pain, and not so well for others.
    I hope it works for you. It sometimes takes a bit of tweaking to get the exact dosing right, and it also takes a while before the full affect kicks in.
    Keep us posted - on the allergic reaction and the Lyrica x-x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh gosh, what a scare. And a great allergic reaction - believe me I have been there before. Let them look into carriers in the meds too - I am allergic to a carrier in tablets called Nepastat. The allergist tells me I am the first person she has ever seen to be allergic to it, but stranger things have happened.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh how scary! I'm glad you husband was home with you and that you weren't alone when this happened! I hope you are feeling better. And rested!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope you are feeling better and the med's are sorted out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥