Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

This and that

We have been in Plettenberg Bay since Saturday...pure bliss.  I took this photo from our hotel room this afternoon.  I love our time in Plettenberg Bay, and never get tired of going there.  I would never dream of cashing in our timeshare and going elsewhere.  There is a number of reasons for my love of this place.
  • Today we believe it was raining in Port Elizabeth and here it was windless and there were actually people sitting in bikini's, getting there first sun tan of the summer.  The weather here is amazing.
  • Another reason is that for seven blissful days I have NO responsibility to anyone...I don't need to clean, cook or answer to anyone...I can live with that;-D
  • I can sleep until I wake up naturally. No alarm clocks.  This morning I was woken by the pounding waves and the cries of the seagulls.
  • I can read until I have had enough of reading. I already finished reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.
  • No guilty feeling about doing nothing.
This is the view from our window right now.  DH is also getting good at the no flash, slow exposure photography.

When reading Eat Pray Love I found the most profound description of Depression and Loneliness.  Elizabeth Gilbert writes as follows:

"They came upon me all silent and menacing like Pinkerton Detectives, and they flank me - Depression on my left, Loneliness on my right.  They don't need to show me their badges.  I know these guys well.  We've been playing a cat-and-mouse game for years now.....I say to them, "How did you find me here?  Who told you I had come to Rome?" Depression, always the wise guy, says, "What - you're not happy to see us?"  "Go away".  I tell him.  Loneliness, the more sensitive cop, says, "I'm sorry, ma'am.  But I might have to tail you the whole time you're traveling.  It's my assignment."...Then they frisk me. They empty my pockets of any joy I had been carrying there.  Depression even confiscates my identity; but he always does that. Then Loneliness start interrogating me, which I dread because it always goes on for hours.  He is polite but relentless, and he always trips me up eventually.  He asks if I have any reason to be happy that I know of"  (Page 49)

Now, however, is a time for happiness and togetherness.  Have you read Eat Pray Love?  What is your thoughts on it?

xx

21 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are taking a break and having time for your self. I haven't read the book but hopefully I can watch the movie. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a perfect holiday destination...been there a few time and also loved it...enjoy the sea and sunshine.
    also read that book...see they making a movie of the book now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word...sounds amazing. I love Plett!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy that this is a place that you find peace...Lord knows you need a little of that every once in a while. Your view is breathtaking!! Enjoy your time there,

    ReplyDelete
  5. i want to read that book, saw it the other day, BUT i am still busy with the last of a series of 3 by Francine Rivers.shweee. . .
    your photos are beautiful, can see why you love it out there so much.
    enjoy the rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohmihat - you guys have Week 38? We used to own a week 38 in Plett for years. Or at least until my dad gave it to my brother before he died. Room 112 was ours for week 38. Always the week just before the school holidays, so I always used to get 2 weeks holiday in September - since my school were cool with that.

    Small world, we might have passed each other in the passage :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am SO glad you get this holiday...it looks absolutely beautiful!!!
    So happy for you....and a wee bit jealous too:)
    Happy restful week!
    hugs,
    dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you are having a wonderful break - just what you need.

    I loved the book. It resonated so loudly with me - perhaps having being divorced and on my own for a while. I loved how she embraced every opportunity with open arms and experienced everything possible.

    Enjoy the rest of your time there. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have fun in Plett x-x
    I haven't read Eat pray love.
    Do you recommend it? x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, such loveley pics Lynette!!!

    I will have to read that book, as I have been hearing alot about it lately and maybe it will help get me through my rough patch at the moment...

    Enjoy your vacation!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's lookin' like God opened up heaven & dropped a little bit right there where you are. Enjoy, rest & rejuvenate. LOVE the book quote! Thanks for thinking of us to share this wonderful message. Hugs ~ Merana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Had forgotten that you were going away...havent't been to Plett myself for 33 years - definitely think it's time for a visit. Your photos always make it look AWEsome. I like your list of reasons for enjoying it - reckon I could live with them too ;-D I could so do with a holiday round about now LOL. From what I've seen of that book/movie it sounds too new agey for me but that incerpt you've given is fantastic - with writing like that I may just have to break my policy of not reading fiction & give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks simply perfect - enjoy your rest!
    xxx
    A

    ReplyDelete
  14. You lucky fish! Plet is one of my fav places well! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what an awesome place ! you are so blessed to have this place of refuge !!! I do have the book Eat, Pray , Love but am too lazy to put on my reading glasses these days ! alas ! hope to catch the movie at least ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you are having a good rest and have left all your worries and concerns at home. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww! What an AMAZING place to vacation!!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeee the photos...and loving that quote from that book... I want to read it...its on my list! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoy, I am sure you will...♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think Eat Pray Love is brilliantly written, and that the author sounds like a funny adventurous likeable person.
    So I loved the book too - but also with some reservations.
    Having been "into" a similar Eastern path for a season in my life and finding it, ultimately, the most self-absorbed way of all (disguised as the opposite), I am concerned that many genuine seekers after truth may be led astray by her story.

    However, no one can deny that the book is a very good read.

    Glad you are having a good rest in such a lovely place.
    We go to Plett regularly too as very dear friends live there.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I could do with some of that any day. Some day we are going on vacation sans kiddos. Looks like we might make a quick turn in PE in December.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥