Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Life's Lessons

Today's devotional by Oswald Chambers in My Utmost for His highest has challenged me deeply.  It speaks of the call of God and what it actually means.  I quote:

"This call has nothing to do with personal sanctification, but with being made broken bread and poured-out wine. Yet God can never make us into wine if we object to the fingers He chooses to use to crush us. We say, “If God would only use His own fingers, and make me broken bread and poured-out wine in a special way, then I wouldn’t object!” But when He uses someone we dislike, or some set of circumstances to which we said we would never submit, to crush us, then we object.  If we are ever going to be made into wine, we will have to be crushed—you cannot drink grapes. Grapes become wine only when they have been squeezed.
I wonder what finger and thumb God has been using to squeeze you? Have you been as hard as a marble and escaped? If you are not ripe yet, and if God had squeezed you anyway, the wine produced would have been remarkably bitter. To be a holy person means that the elements of our natural life experience the very presence of God as they are providentially broken in His service. We have to be placed into God and brought into agreement with Him before we can be broken bread in His hands. Stay right with God and let Him do as He likes, and you will find that He is producing the kind of bread and wine that will benefit His other children."

Ouch!  
I just have to think back on this year and realise just how often I failed the test. 
I look back and realise that nothing ever happens without a purpose and without the Lord allowing it.  
I look back and realise that some of these circumstances were allowed into my life to squeeze me...and more often than not, the wine produced were extremely bitter.
I look back and realise that through this all I have taken some steps to safe guard myself from getting hurt.
It is so easy to cut of a relationship that is causing pain.
I have acted without love in many of my circumstances.
I have built walls to hide behind.
I realise that often the walls I built around me to keep me from feeling and getting hurt are the very walls that keep me from receiving love.
I realise that I was not an example for others to follow. 
I got some real life lessons and learned very little from it. 

It reminds me of the song by Hillsong, Potters Hand.




















I find myself singing:
Oh Take me, mold me, use me, fill me
I give my life to the Potter's hand

Oh Call me, guide me, lead me, walk beside me
I give my life to the Potter's hand
 
So the Lord starts moulding and it hurts!  I moan and groan and forget that His Word says that "All things 
work for the good of those who love Him."
Human nature just takes over. 
I am convicted not condemned.
I know that His grace is sufficient for me and when I am weak He is strong.  
I know that although I fail many times, His love for me is unconditional and ever lasting.
 

15 comments:

  1. Thank you for this inspiring post. Hindsight is always 20/20. We do our best in the moments--it's how we learn and grow.

    I've loved looking through your trip posts. The photos are amazing! My boys really loved the pictures of all the animals. Amazing photography skills :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...it is just so very hard to be what we are meant to be...I find every year draining, can't really decide which has been my worst in a decade! I have to keep my issues off my blog but I have a lot believe me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeeee-ouch!
    Hit a nerve...but completely needed this!
    Thank you for the reminder!
    Wine IS so much better than a mere grape (and often a sour one at that!:))
    Have an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou for your words -we all need reminding sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an amazing and touching post!! Thank you for sharing this... i think most of us need to hear this! :):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank God for Oswald, hey?

    I hear you, Lynette,but the tests were very great.
    And I think you have forgotten the times you looked at them in a very godly way in spite of the pain.

    But now, its as though He has lifted you to a higher viewing point.
    His.
    Going forward,I believe you will handle things in a way that will astonish you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI sussie,
    Jy het my vanoggend laat huil.

    Nie net omdat ek soveel van jou eie emosie en seerkry in jou blog kon lees nie, maar ook omdat dit so na aan die waarheid is in my eie lewe. Veral die stukkie oor hoe maklik dit is om 'n verhouding af te sny wat net te seer maak.

    Ek sal die blog van jou uitprint en weer lees - om myself te herinner hoekom dinge is soos dit is; om myself te herinner hoe sensitief jy is en hoe maklik jy seerkry. Maar meestal in die hoop dat ek self daardeur sal groei deur daarop te mediteer.

    Ek gaan die naweek op 'n Prayer Retreat - die stukkie gaan saam.

    Baie dankie vir hoeveel jy deel.

    Baie liefde,
    Herlien
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post is amazing Lynette! Truly inspirational! Thank you so much fo sharing your insight wit all of us. I pray that you and me and all of your blog readers will keep this in mind and allow The Potter to shape us any way He wants

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can so identify as well, while I am happy to whine...being crushed, not so much.
    Thanks for the food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Lynette, this is so true. I have always said that doing pottery myself has given me some new insight in this image of the Lord molding us.

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing. :) I to needed to hear this. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a lovely and inspiring post - thanks Lynette :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hellooooo! Finally back on line! Just dropping in to say hi! And to add - that I think that you are way too hard on yourself. You are an inspiration to all the people you meet... never forget that x-x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing. I needed to hear it as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i think you have handled this past year with grace and love, as much as you have most likely struggled with those exact things, to us, you have done more than I think most of us would of. Your patience and trusting God, even if you felt as though you havent trusted, is felt strongly via these internet waves.
    And now, you are just growing even more in his grace.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥