Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Childhood memories

Yesterday morning we walked into the restaurant at Look Out point in Plettenberg Bay and bumped into my cousin, Elizabeth that works there.  Strange how something small can spark memories that somehow lay forgotten for years.  Seeing Elizabeth again brought back vivid and happy memories of holidays spent in Jeffreys Bay with them.  As we sat on the deck I recounted these memories to DH and mentioned that I want to still write my Uncle Danie and Aunt Doreen a letter to tell them what an impact these happy times in their home had on my life.  They lived across the road from the main beach.  In those days....mid 70's Jeffreys Bay was still a sleepy hollow. 

I think I told you before that I am one of six children and the oldest of five girls.  My mother used to tell us that my gran was very strict, no playing in the house or sitting on beds were allowed...which meant that they spent most of their time playing at the neighbours where the rules were more relaxed.  We in turn grew up in a home where we were allowed to play in the house but furniture had to be respected....in Uncle Danie's house the kids were permitted anything...putting your feet up on the lounge suite and even jumping on beds were ok!  Now you will understand why it was such fun to spend our time there. Uncle Danie and Aunt Doreen had huge hearts and their doors were always open to allow another child, or two or three into their home for the holidays.

I remember long days playing on the beach, body surfing and sifting through mounds of sea shells....and we were picky with the shells, only the most perfect and beautiful and rarest went home with us.  It was days of freedom and safety and running wild. My uncle had two fishing boats called Geelbek and Geelstert and in the late afternoons we were always on the lookout to see when they "come in".  We would all rush down to the beach and watch the fishermen pull the boats high up on the beach with ropes and some timber logs under it's bottoms.  Then Uncle Danie would come and weigh in each fisherman's catch of the day.  I remember us walking to the community hall in the evening to watch a movie and feeling totally safe to walk back home after 11 at night.  I remember my first "holiday romance" in 1975, and my first ever Choc Nut Sundae at the Wimpy on the beachfront.

Sometimes these happy memories remind me how important it is to write down our stories so that one day our children can learn more about "life as we knew it."

22 comments:

  1. Such a sweet memories, Lynette! And beautiful beach picture! Thank you for sharing! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lynette, what a sweet sweet memory. And now Jeffreys is so busy and big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What good memories - weird how sometimes they need something to bring them to the for front of our memory,
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post. Makes me start thinking....

    ReplyDelete
  5. sure wish we could turn back time:)for the sake of our children,anyway, so that they can grow up in a safe country and enjoy every minute of life. . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice feeling to recall back old days.. as the song goes, Those were the Days, my friends.. we thought they never end... we sing and dance forever and a day..

    hahaha.. i have written about my childhood before.. it really brings back old memories..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you are documenting memories such as this. It is so important to remember them, yet they lie buried deep beneath our current lives and worries.

    Beautiful sunset.

    i *think* we are going to be in Jeffries in July - will you come and spend the day with me? DH is going to be at Congress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also think its important to write down memories of how things were "back then" -

    One of my big regrets is that I didn't ask my mom and my gran to tell me more about how things were when they were young.

    It feels now as though something valuable has been lost forever.
    Like animals become extinct"?

    There is an element of 'extinctness' in those lost memories, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely memories & its so precious to have them.Enjoy the rest of your stay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That photo is so pretty! Great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. those precious happy memories are so worth recording ! your aunt & uncle are wonderful !!! very happy for you !

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful, happy, precious memory...Thank you for sharing that with us!! We need more Uncle Danie's and Aunt Doreen's in this world...Thank you Lynette...That was a sweet memory!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous photo! But even more the written word of your memories is such a treasure. Thank you for sharing it with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have visited this site.it give me information about work from home. i like to know more about this site.
    This site is very helpful for work from home.


    work from home

    ReplyDelete
  15. such a beautiful and lovely memory to have of your childhood. Jumping on beds is probably one of the most fun things to do as a child;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad you shared this. I spent a great deal of my time in my life growing up with my aunt and her family, I loved every minute of it!

    What a wonderful memory that you shared!
    e.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What lovely memories!!
    Love that photo!
    Big hugs,
    Betty xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful memories Lynette, precious photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. what wonderful memories you just painted. I could picture it so vividly in my mind....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Reading your blog did bring back those memories to me as well. I saw Uncle Danie and Aunty Doreen while we were in Storms River and they were as hospitable as ever! I still love spending time with them and maybe it is a good idea to let them know how much they meant to us while we were growing up. Do you remember how the crew on the boats had to blow their whistles on foggy evenings so that they could be guided to shore? It must have been terribly scary, and as a child I thought it was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥