Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Putting life into perspective

The stress of the past few weeks left me in a very contemplative mood.  Our lives have been on hold...for what exactly I am still trying to figure out:-)  It has been incredibly difficult to pick up where we left off...to try and pick up the threads and continue with life "as usual".  It is a constant struggle to stay focused and keep my thoughts from going off on a gallop.  I had to find my quiet place again, that place where I can think, hear the Lord and put things into perspective.

The clever people say that health issues and divorce are some of the most stressful situations people have to cope with.  We have made peace with the fact that Wynand's  health is in the hands of the Lord, and that we can't fix it. We made a conscious decision to be "there" for Kobus Jr.  while he is coming to terms with the end of his marriage and to help him with the little ones on the weekends they come here. The things that are happening in our children's lives profoundly affect us...we are so close and when they hurt we hurt.

In the past few days I have taken a long hard look at my life.  
  • I see where I am wasting time, energy and losing opportunities because of it.
  • I looked at the things that have become so important to me...and realised that a lot of it is just a "striving after wind". 
  • I had to make decisions to purge the things from my life that are eating up all my energy and focus on the things that really matter.  
  • The little problems we have in life really aren't that important.  
  • Our time on earth is fragile and we should make the most of it.  
  • We should laugh more and take the time to just sit and hold the hand of somebody that needs us. 
It reminds me of my favourite quote by Emerson:
To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded. 

It is our relationship with our Lord and Saviour and our relationship with our loved ones that matter....everything else fades in comparison.

xx

23 comments:

  1. Ag Lynette - net die waarheid, 100% die waarheid.

    Thanks girl - just what I need to hear today. Having a super crappy one. And now I realize that it is not that crappy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you often and I am sure just the mere fact that you are pouring out your deepest feelings here, does sooth the pain a tiny bit. I still look up to you for always being so courageous and positive in the light of adversity. Thanks for being such and inspiration.
    Lots of hugs
    Desire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catching up with your entries.

    I agree, when one family member is in pain the whole family suffers...thats what the core of family is all about.

    I personally find I can only be as happy as my unhappiest child - how can we was parents not feel our childrens lives journeys.

    Take care of yourself, your family needs you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with u,Lynette..i feel like that too sometimes.. we focus on ourselves more than focusing on God..so that leaves us very weary and depleted at times. But at the end of the day, we come back to God...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your children are lucky to have such awesome parents like you and Kobus. You are an inspiration... x

    ReplyDelete
  6. so true...isn't God awesome to hold His arms open each time we come near.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Lynette, I am sorry to hear that you are going through tough times. It is most difficult when our children are the ones getting hurt. Trust in our Lord as I am sure you do. His will be done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my friend.... I hope I can get time to come and visit you on Thursday to hand deliver a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meriel...I am going to make sure that I receive that hug:) Can't wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. shaw!!this made me see the bright side again:)
    thanks lynette,you are very special:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me got tributes and awards for you!
    Please drop by.....

    hugs
    shakira

    HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE TO STAY, LET'S DANCE!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Totally can relate to you!!! I Want to appreciate my life and live with my love ones to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You put it in a nutshell nd are so right. Hope you & yours have an awesome week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am very happy that you are doing that.
    I do that every often, looking at life
    and rearranging things, you know.
    So that when we are face with challenges,
    we are not hit too hard.
    Seeking GOD is a great start.

    hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't it quite sad how it takes something like what you have recently experienced, to make us realise that our lives aren't actually so bad after all.

    And that we need to really start focussing on the good and stop whining about every tiny little thing that ever happens.

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. You sure have got it all down here , Lynette !! words of wisdom indeed !


    {{{{{hugs}}}}}

    p/s : Can't wait to scrap your adorable little ones ! ;) so tempted to grab 'em from your blog but of course I wouldnt do that !!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for this post. Perspective indeed for me in what can be purged. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perspective.....I've needed it lately too....so sorry to hear that you and your family are going through hard times......stay strong. I'll keep you in my prayers! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I siply admire you!
    I'm sending you HUGS!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I totally agree with you Lynette your words are so inpiring you are a very special person, God bless you and your family.
    Hugs
    Lidia

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVe that quote Lynette - I definitely need to put that in a layout some time - and all your thoughts are so right, yesterday our GP shot himself in the head because of personal problems & it has been a terrible day for so many of us that had known him for years - I am there about once a week taking it in turns between the kids for something or other - & he appeared to have the perfect life in every way...It's also left me wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  22. How many people you have touched through your life Lynette. What an amazing way to be used by our Creator!

    I think we have to reflect like this often in order for the Lord to work through us. If we just stand still, or get complicant the work will surely get done for the greater good of God. But... Isn't it a huge blessing to get a place like this and be able to stand firm knowing that you truly are being pruned for something grand!

    Keep focus.
    e.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥