Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Just to let you know

This weekend our sons went to Sedgefield for the long weekend to have a break from the usual.  On Monday morning early Kobus Jr. phoned to let me know that Wynand became sick with severe nausea and a terrible head ache in the early hours of the morning and they had to take him to the hospital in Knysna.  The idiotic (sorry, I am angry and can't help it) doctor at casualty saw the young men and made his own conclusion...that they had too much to drink and that Wynand was suffering from dehydration as a result.  The more Kobus Jr. tried to tell him about Wynand's history and begged him to phone us to find out more the more arrogant the man became, actually chasing  Kobus out of the emergency room.  We eventually got hold of Wynand's neurosurgeon who is away in Langebaan and he phoned and spoke to the doc, and at last the man started to listen.

DH and I drove down to Knysna to support the children.  When we got there they were stabilizing Wynand's condition and sending him for MRI's.  He spent the night and was transferred to a hospital in Port Elizabeth yesterday morning.  By the time we got to the PE hospital his pain levels had spiraled out of control and he was suffering badly. Watching him and feeling so totally powerless is a feeling that I can't put into words for you.  Last night at 10 o'clock, after many prayers, they got his pain to a bearable level. Today he slept most of the day, I believe today could have been a turning point for him to start getting better again.

The thing that is causing the most concern at present is that there was another bleed into his brain and that the vision of both his eyes are now affected and he has blind spots and blurry vision in both eyes.  The neurosurgeon that is standing in for his usual doctor spoke to us today.  Surgery is still out of the question.  The reality is that if they leave the AVM it could gradually lead to him going blind.  The abnormal arteries behind his eyes feed into the optical nerves and to remove it they will have to cut blood supply to his eyes...which would leave him blind.  So you see...only the Lord can change his situation.

This past few days have not been easy, DH and I both feel weak and vulnerable.  We are trying so hard to stay strong for the sake of his wife and all our children and grandchildren.  I have been angry at the Lord...we live our lives for Him, we work full time in a ministry He called us to.  Why this? Why Wynand?  Why something that is inoperable? Why such a severe testing?  Why not rather me, I am old and have had a good part of my life?  Wynand is still so young, he still has to see his children grow up.  Oh yes, I have raged...asking Him where He is when His children need Him.  But then I remember that He works all things to the good of those who love Him, and that He will never give us more than we can bear.  I can never stop having Him as my "stronghold of hope".  I can never not keep trusting in Him for a solution to all of this.  I am not going to wake up and find that it was all a bad dream...this is a terribly hard reality that we just have to cope with...and we will with His help.

So please pray the Lord will do a creative miracle in Wynand's brain and that he would be totally healed.

28 comments:

  1. oh my friend, if you could only know how much i have prayed for you and your family.

    i doh't know what else to do.

    we just HAVE to trust in the Lord and his actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Shaynes comment. I so wish we could do more to carry this burden with you. Your post is so honest and vulnerable and your faith, although being severely tested, is strong and He will honour this even in the midst of this horror.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there Lynette. I will continue to pray for Wynand and all of your family.

    Hugs for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will keep praying for your family and I want to let you know that I do admire your faith, your faithfulness to God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lifting Wynand and all your/his family up in prayer. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the Lord is capable of miracles & I know that he will do whatever is the best for you. That said, my thoughts are with you at this nerve-wracking time...so sorry you are having to bear this right now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lynette, just wanted you to know how much I am thinking and praying for your family.
    All my love,
    Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Lynette,You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, god bless you my friend.
    Lidia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lynette, am thinking of you and your family, and more importantly, lifting you up in prayer, warm regards, charni

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lynette, praying for the Lord to help you to trust him so that you may find refuge in his strength and healing power.
    Trust in him at all times, O people, pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.
    Psalm 62:8
    You, your family and Wynand are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was given Heb 13:5 recently for myself - but I'd like to share this part with you today :

    because God has said,
    "Never will I leave you;
    never will I forsake you."

    Praying for you & your family too !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry Lynette. I'll be praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What did we do .. to deserve a God like You?
    That is all I wanna say, Lynette..
    Hang On there!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry Lynette...it breaks my heart to read your words because I can't even imagine how awful it is to go through this situation. I will definitely keep your son in my prayers and you as well. I know that the Lord will not bring us to something without bringing us through it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Be strong. May God be with Wynand and his family. God is in control. May He grant wisdom to the doctors to make the best decision.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a sinful world and bad things happen to good people too. It would be horrific to be going through all this without the strength and comfort of God to help you. I pray that God would heal Wynand and take away this burden from your family. I pray also for healing for Kobus Jnr and his family. God is with you Lynette.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Lynette, you know how I feel and that I will pray - all the time. Also for you to carry the family in this time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ditto all the above, thinking of you lots xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. My heart is with you, my words are prayers.

    Much much love
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish I could be there to give you a hug and a shoulder to cry on. As I read your post I thought of the story of Job, with all that he suffered through. My prayers are with you and your family. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Lynette

    WOW! It's almost as if you have been reading my diary! I too raged against God; I bargained; I pleaded; I made peace. The one thing that I kept coming back to, was that He is God, and that His Grace is sufficient for me.

    I am sort of walking Wynand's path - and just want to let him (and you) know, that he is not alone. If he (or you) ever have any questions for me - I'm here, ask away.

    All the best

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi Lynette! I’m glad to find not just a talented fellow-scrapper but a sister-in Christ in you! it breaks my heart to know what pain you and your family are going through. All I can do is just pray… and I know that Father will carry all of you through it. just hold on your faith and peace, He is watching over you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Lynette how terrible, my heart breaks reading this. I sincerely hope Wynand's condition will improve fast. I'm thinking of you all, xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox.
    Monique

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lynette I cannot imagine what you are going through..I have never walked one step in those shoes - they are steps I pray I never have to walk with my family - and yes I agree, how can we understand the reason for this, the why's are normal - every time I read a story or hear something about someone its always the why's...bargaining with God - I have learned this for myself...as you know I dont know what my future holds regarding MS.
    But...why not me...its happened to so many other people...why not me...I am not going to question, but accept and make the best of the situation.
    I read a book by Jade Goody, she bargained with God to save her life, she had Cancer, she was 27 and a single mother of two boys, 4 and 6 years old...she wanted to live, she asked God over and over in her prayers to save her life...yes she passed away a year ago...her story has taught me so much...

    Your son, you and your family are in my prayers always...May God's will be done and give you all the strength to cope during this time...may you all have peace in your hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am truly sorry to hear about your pain and suffering and I pray for you and your family. May God give you strength. It is so amazing to read of your faith during this trying time.

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMW, how heartbreaking, will be praying for your family

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just reading this. Praying.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥