Pages

Monday, January 4, 2010

Movies and books

We have been home alone this week, just DH and I.  Bianca had gone off with her cousin Robyn to visit their Ouma and Oupa in Kidds Beach.

Well....home alone if you don't consider that Leane slept over on Tuesday night and Lukas stayed with us from Wednesday to Friday.  Wynand and Nadia went to the Baviaanskloof for two days for some "alone" time and left Lukas with us.


Saturday night we went to watch Invictus.  I was really surprised that Clint Eastwood would make a movie about rugby, a sport the Americans don't understand or play.  The movie turned out to be a story of compassion and forgiveness and made me proud to be a South African.  How wonderful that a sport like rugby could be such a unifying factor so early in the New South Africa. If we look back on the history of our country we are so blessed to have had a president like Nelson Mandela...a man without hate and revenge. This movie is a "must see" for all.

While killing time, DH and I browsed around exclusive books and a few ended up in my hot little hands.  These are the ones that went home with me:

I love biographies...and I love reading about people that have some of the problems that we come into contact with in our daily work. "Memoir of Love and Madness; Living with Bipolar Disorder by Rahla Xenopoulos is about the experience of one bright, beguiling young woman’s confrontation with her dark side, leading to self-mutilation, attempted suicide and manic episodes; a state of mind she describes as “off my trolley”.  I nearly finished this book, very funny and sad.


 
I know this book has been out for a while...but it has also become a modern classic and I loved the movie...so I guess I will love the book even more."A heartfelt account of poverty in Ireland and emigration to America,Angela's Ashes combines a personal perspective on a little-known aspect of modern history with Frank McCourt's spellbinding story-telling, creating an enduring masterpiece in the process."
 


This one was chosen for light comic relief.  As you can see I read a wide selection of books. Personal shopper Annie Valentine is about to hit the big time: presenting a glamorous TV makeover series.  Too late, Annie discovers this is TV on a shoestring.  They're paying her buttons and her budget is zip.  Can she make do with Primark when all she wants is Prada?  The Daily Record says"So utterly adorable that you'll laugh, cry and root for her through every trial and tribulation."

How was your weekend?


16 comments:

  1. I trust that you will thoroughly enjoy those books. Great to shop isn't it?
    I have to get all the stationaery sorted very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your book choices! i would love it you would write a review for the book club blog about a memoir of love and madness once you have finished? It sounds very interesting. let me know if you fancy doing that.
    as for the movie, I havent yet seen Invictus but it is on my to be seen list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt just the same after watching Invictus. I was expecting a "hansie" homebrew but it was really well done. His Madiba was excellent and the whole thing made me proud. I am sure it is just one perspective on the whole event - but it was one to build national pride.

    Made me consider 2010 in another light too - I wonder what Mandela would have made of 2010.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your selection of books - lloks so interesting and make me want to crawl up in bed with one of them - especially in this weather we're having! Unfortnately I'm sitting at work! Wish I had more time to read - I LOVE reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was an avid reader too but these couple of months, i slowed down.. i still have one book pending, yet to read...
    my weekend was spent taking my son back to college and staying one night there cos it was too far to travel back home on the same day..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think these are fantastic book choices!Thanks for sharing!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow love the new look you have going here! Happy new year Lynette!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been awhile since I've gone shopping for books. How fun! Looks like you picked up some great reads! :D Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Movie of Angela's Ashes, So it have to be a great Book to read! And I love the new look of your blog too!! Happy New Year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good book choices Lynette. The movie sounds interesting, it'll be on my list of movies to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Still need to see Invictus but on my list - even if i have to wait for the video.

    Great selection of books - i see my sister has already asked you to review the first - i'm keen to hear your take on it.

    And you will love Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt is a fantastic writer - such humour but at the same time very realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have also watched a number of movies lately - Couples Retreat is absolutely hilarious & I adored Invictus - if only Mandela were younger & could still be at the helm our problems would be fewer...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Angela's ashes is one of my all time favorites. And we also went to see the movie - still have to blog about it,but how inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to see that movie! I'm glad to hear that its good!

    Enjoy those books!

    :D
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm hoping to see this movie...here in Germany I dont think it will show and if it does it will be in German.

    ReplyDelete
  16. there is someone I love very close to me who suffers from Bi-Polarism...will be getting that book this week and hope to finish it..thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥