Pages

Sunday, December 6, 2009

When bad things happen...

...cling to the Lord.

Lately I have found that many of our blogging friends are faced with hardship in life and in health, and we have been challenged to intercede and "stand in the gap" for those who are feeling weak.

I feel led to share with all of you, how the Lord carried us through a time of tremendous fear, anxiety and heartache. Maybe it will encourage you today.

A number of years ago (14 years to be exact) our son Wynand was diagnosed with a condition that is so rare in a child that we were sent to the Groote Schuur hospital in Cape Town for tests.  He could not swallow his food. (or even fluids for that matter)  The diagnosis was achalasia of the esophagus, a condition usually found in elderly people. In lay terms; the muscles at the bottom of the esophagus goes into spasm and no food can go through the valve into the stomach.  Food would just pile up until he would get nauseous.  So, our young son was operated on.  Three days later he was released from hospital.  That same evening his body went into septic shock and he was rushed to emergency.  Somehow his esophagus had torn and food and liquid had landed up in his body cavity.  That night round midnight we stood in front of a surgeon and he told us that Wynand's condition was critical.  Due to the lengthy time that he was struggling to eat and the doctors were struggling to find the cause he had become seriously malnourished.  This ass of a doctor told us that there is not much hope that Wynand would survive the 5 hours of emergency surgery. After praying over Wynand, our young and wise son told us that he knows that he is in Jesus' hands.

We first had a serious meltdown and then started phoning our cell group members (at 1 'o clock in the morning).  They started contacting other friends and intercessors and for the next 5 hours we had the most awesome group of people interceding for us and for the medical team that were working on our son. At 5 o'clock that morning one of the intercessors phoned and told us that she feels that God is saying that Wynand would live a full life and she gave us Psalm 91 which we had to stand on andpray over Wynand.

This version is the Living Bible translation:  

" We live within the shadow of the Almighty, sheltered by the God who is above all gods.  This I declare, that He alone is my refuge, my place of safety, He is my God and I am trusting Him.  For He rescues you from every trap and protects you from the fatal plague.  He will shield you with His wings!  They will shelter you.  His faithful promises are your armour.  Now you don't need to be afraid of the dark anymore, not fear the dangers of the day, nor dread the plagues of darkness, nor disasters in the morning.

Though a thousand fall at my side, though ten thousand are dying around me, the evil will not touch me.  I will see how the wicked are punished, but I will not share it.  For God is my refuge!  I choose the God above all gods to shelter me.  How then can evil overtake me or any plague come near?  For He orders His angels to protect you wherever you go.  They will steady you with their hands to keep you from stumbling against the rocks on the trail.  you can safely meet a lion or step on poisonous snakes, yes, even trample them beneath your feet!

For the Lord says, "Because he loves Me, I will rescue him:  I will make him great because he trusts in My name. When he calls on Me, I will answer; I will be with him in trouble and rescue him and honour him.  I will satisfy him with a full life and give him My salvation."


Wynand survived the operation.  He was in intensive care for a week.  This photo was taken on the third day after the emergency surgery.  He was full of tubes and pipes and was given morphine for the first 5 days.  He remained in hospital for three weeks and during the first two weeks he was fed through a tube directly into his intestines.  We prayed Psalm 91 over him constantly and many of the other patients in the wards he was in asked us to pray for them as well.



When Wynand came home after three weeks he looked like a concentration camp survivor (still with the feeding tube in place).  He was so thin  that I could carry him when he was too weak to walk on his own.  The recovery was painfully slow and we constantly had a glass of Ensure for him to drink. (to this day he cannot face Ensure)

Today Wynand is a 27 year old young man who still struggles with eating due to the lack of peristalsis in his esophagus.  He downs his food with copious amounts of water....but he is a 27 year old young man with an amazing testimony of God's love and goodness.

26 comments:

  1. What a touching post, Lynette, I felt it, my goosepimples were up when i saw your son's pics and how God's grace carried u all through.. God is in control and there is always a reason why it happens and He allows it to.. but He will carry us through it all... yes, through it all..
    God Bless U All...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynette, what an amazing story...Your story!
    Thanks so much for sharing this with us..
    God is good for sure.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story really touched me, Lynette.My heart broke when i saw your son's photos.
    God's love carried him all through.
    God Bless you and your family.God's Grace is with you.
    love and
    hugs hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynette, I am repeatedly.
    astounded by the number and severity of difficulties you have overcome by the grace and power of God.
    It is a huge testimony to Him.

    I also salute you because you have gone bravely through the trials and turned them into songs of praise for HIm

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have the words...thanks for sharing and for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow Lynette! I echo Allies sentiments. How awful it must have been for you to see your son so ill like that, on deaths door... and then even more awesome to see him pull through. x
    Love that psalm. I will be chanting it from morning 'til night on Thursday x

    ReplyDelete
  7. this has left me speechless, yet amazed by the work of our Almighty God, thanks for sharing Lynette.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what an awesome story Lynette, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your story and reminding us to look in the right place when we need help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to the doctors Wynand looks now good in health. Wishing him by heart all the very best in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay... I am officially fired up after reading that Post Lynette! You have such an amazing testimony! All the Best. Ryan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I echo all your previous commentors...i cannot imagine the heartache of seeing Wynand going through that and then the EUPHORIA when Christs intervenes and sustained him.

    Thanks Lynette, stories like this need to be shared!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My 8 year old son was diagnosed with Achalasia and lost 25 pounds before he had his surgery. His surgery was successful without all of Wynand's complications that followed. What a wonderful testimony not only to that one time you had to go through, but throughout life you are able to draw on God's presence and work through that situation and share with others, just as you have done! My son is 11 now and healthy, but Achalasia is a life long disease and he receives yearly doctor checkups. I hope Wynand continues to have his condition checked...doctors are understanding much more about Achalasia and having more successful treatements! Thank you so much for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow that was an awesome read & share - thank you. The scriptures I read on yours & Wilna's blogs are a saving grace to me at times. Despite all circumstances we face, no matter how unlikely, God can do anything. That is what I sometimes forget - thank you for reminding me...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing story and thanks for sharing. My dad died of cancer that started with this condition.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I stand amazed at your testimony regarding Wynand's ! Thank God for His grace & sustenance !

    & thank you for sharing Psa 91 ! I definitely needed to hear this !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Lynette - what a great testimony of God's work in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an amazing post & praise God for his protection sometimes I really find it hard to reach out. This was awesome for me thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lynette, What an amazing story. It is so nice when Gon answers our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A post like this makes one realise that the trivial things we go through on a daily basis are hardly worth mentioning.

    Thank you for sharing your story and encouraging others.

    After reading this it makes me wonder how people can ever question the presence of God.

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a Great testimony. Glory to our God and i feel so ministered reading your posts, Lynette !
    HE sure is looking over your son!
    Lovin your new banner too :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is things like these that make your realize how great GOD is...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lynette, I don't know what to type here....

    I can't believe how faithfully you weather the storms of life. You are a real inspiration to me.

    I am so glad God answered your prayers and you and your son have this incredible testimony to share now. What would we do without Jesus? I can't even think about it.

    You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just wanted to say:
    We were not giants in the faith at the time. When doctors tell you there is no chance, you have no choice but to cling with all your might to the Lord. There was a lot of fear and a lot of tears, just never in front of Wynand.

    Looking back I know it was the Lord that kept us strong when we were with him, which was most of the time. But I must admit that I fell apart the moment I walked out of ICU those first few days.

    I could not even answer my phone because I could not speak to anybody without crying so hard that nobody could understand what I was saying.

    I can't explain to you how it feels when you come so close to losing somebody you love. I guess that might just be why I am STILL so protective about my children.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Lynette. I can just try and imagine how hard it must have been for you to share this amazing story with us. Thanks for always being such an inspiration. And I am so relieved that there is a happy ending and living proof that to believe is everything.
    Hugs
    Desire

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW, God is indeed good, and yay for those cell group members standing in the gap. That is one of my very favourite scriptures!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥