Pages

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Lost and found



On Monday morning when I arrived at work I was met by a very tearful Fatima. Two of the women (can't call them ladies and you will soon hear why) had gone out during the course of Sunday, one of them taking her two month old baby with her.  One woman returned to the mission in the early hours of Monday morning, as drunk as a skunk.  The other woman was picked up by the police for drunken disorderly behaviour.  The baby was missing...and that was the reason for Fatima's tears.

We phoned the police, called in the woman that returned to the mission and tried to find out where the baby was last seen.  Fatima and the police then went into the area and found the baby in a house of prostitution. The two women was apparently so drunk that they dropped the baby a few times.  One of the prostitutes took the baby away from them and took her home with her.  I am just amazed...that a mother can be so unfit to care for her baby that the baby is better off with a prostitute.

We always put the safety of children first.  We phoned the social services, a social worker took the baby to the district surgeon to make sure she is unharmed.  They brought her home later and she seems fine.  Baby was still being breastfed and with an absent mother(still in jail), one of the other mothers became a wet nurse. The law will now take it's course to decide what is going to be best for the child.  We hear such horror stories of children that go missing, I am just relieved that she was found.

Another glimpse into how the other side lives.

19 comments:

  1. Lynette, a glimpse into your ministry is so humbling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh gosh.. poor baby... thank God she is safe ... yes, God uses all kinds of people in His ministry.. remember rehab? she was also a prostitute but God blesses her by keeping her safe..

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart broke reading this...
    What future does this poor child have if its already being so neglected...
    Here I am in Germany longing just to be able to help or look after a little one...and cant!!
    I pray all works out for mom and baby, they need each other...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading what happens at your ministry always puts things into perspective for me.

    I hate to hear of harm coming to children, they are so defenseless, especially a baby.

    I hope that all works out with this little one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mother of the baby was pregnant and living on the street when we took her in. I wanted to wring her neck when I found out that she went out drinking. At the mission she is given a chance to rehabilitate and get her life back on track...if she however chooses to put her child in danger we will go all out to protect the child, even if it means her losing the baby. It is tough but the baby is the innocent party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a baby is certainly not always best off with its mother. there are so many woman willing to CHANGE their lives for a chance to be a mother.

    a nerve-wracking post. I am not exposed to this often and it jars me violently. Strength to you and your staff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMW Lynette. Reading this, makes me realise what a sheltered life I lead! It sounds like a script from a soapie or movie! Terribly sad - hope all works out for the best.
    LOVE that picture! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so sad that this mother chose alcohol over her precious baby. It is so good that you are there for these women. I pray that this child ends up in loving responsible arms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mel & Kirsty - now that is the reason I sometimes share things that happen at the mission.

    We live sheltered lives and what we deal with at the mission is reality of what is going on in the street, the part that we don't really want to know about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am amzed that God can send an angel to protect a little baby, even in the form of a prostitute! Just shows you, never judge anybody, there might be a reason why that poor woman leads the life she does, but whatever it is, it hasn't stopped her from having compassion for a child. She will be one more on my prayer list from now on. If God can use her, He can find a way to save her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lynette, you are such a good person, helping these people, think of you. . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Linette, I just Cant believe What these kind of people are thinking? I just think they too selfish! Hope everything gets better for the baby!! People like that cant take care of themselves More less of A little baby... And I totally Agree with Tertia!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eye opening post.
    Can't believe it happens in real life.
    Very saddened by it all, this ebing Sarah's 15th birthday and how I miss having her as a part of my family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very Sad! blessed with a child but doesn't care about him..I want to have children but I don't have any..:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yikes!!! It's hard to imagine how mothers can do such things but I've heard about this type of thing so often as my mum in law works with Childline...some real horror stories there...

    ReplyDelete
  16. How sad! I am just happy that the baby was found safe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sad!
    There are so many horrible stories of children that go missing. Well said , Lynette.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing ... it makes one sit up and realise how privelege we are compared to ...
    Hugs
    Desire

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥