Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Oh so independent....

...me thinks not!

As I already shared, DH and I were away for a week. Bianca usually stays with one of her brothers. This time however she opted to have a (girl) friend stay with her at our home and they promised to set the alarm each night before they go to bed.

So on Wednesday morning I was lying soaking in the tub at the hotel when I heard my cellphone ring. I am not to keen on phones so instead of jumping out of the bath, I just left it to ring. I always assume that if it is important, whoever is phoning can leave a message. It rings again a while later and I am still soaking so I leave it. By the time Bianca reaches her dad on his cellphone she is hysterical. She has epilepsy....and usually the days before an attack she gets blinding headaches. Well my darling little girl had a headache and I presume that she started panicking because we were not near.

DH phoned our son Wynand and he rushed off to get her at the college. In the meantime I tried and get hold of the neurologist she normally sees....and he was also on vacation. His receptionist advised that she be taken to the Greenacres hospital (across the road from the college) and they will get hold of the neurologist on call. Wynand later let us know that Bianca was so stressed by the time the neurologist arrived that they were afraid that the stress would cause a seizure. She was put on a drip, given valium and sent home. The valium knocked her out for more than 24 hours and she stayed in bed the next two days. Fortunately my mom and dad was due to arrive to stay over at our home and all was under control. I seriously wanted to pack up and go home, but after talking to Bianca she assured us that she is okay.

I must admit...it makes me feel good when I know that she still needs me. But then again, I guess we all need to be needed:)

13 comments:

  1. I'm just relieved to hear that it was nothing serious.

    And yes, we all need to be needed (even if we don't think so!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am glad that she's ok.
    Shame! She must have been so anxious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yip, have to agree with Shayne that i am glad it was nothing serious.

    and dont get me started on the being needed thang;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally agree with Shayne.Glad to hear she is ok.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sjoe - well done for not running home. That must have been very difficult. And hooray for parents that stand in the gap when we cant! (and siblings/sons) Very pleased to hear the pending siezure was nipped in the bud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad she is OK and it wasn't a seizure. There is nothing scarier for them than to be alone when it happens.
    Luckily they get so used to it that it doesn't phase them any more. I found out yesterday that DD had a seizure during a test last week when she phoned to get the dr,'s number, because the University wants to check that she really has Epilepsy. I was horrified. Why didn't you tell me? Are you OK? What happened? Only to be told: "Relax ma, it wasn't serious. I don't know why the lecturer freaked out!"
    I know why dearest child. It is because for the rest of the world having seizures are not normal.
    May your family get to the point where this is normal and nothing to 'freak out' about very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad it all worked out OK without you having to abandon your holiday! Yes ... as a daughter, I have to say: Nothing can top your mom when you are sick! Moms will always be needed in a crisis, illness, break up etc...
    You see... she's not so grown up after all! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaah shame...glad everything turned out okay for you both ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. As we say in Greek. Good, everything was ok in the end!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad that nothing bad happened. Looks like you had a great holiday! Love your whale photos! Glad you're back safe and sound! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. THank you JESUS she is okay! I am sure that was a scare, but I am so glad she is okay. Blessings to you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Must have been really scary for you. Glad it all worked out okay, and kudos to her brother for being there for her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Baie verlig dat Bianca okay is. Mooi bly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥