Pages

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Love is the key


I think we all struggle with loving unlovable people in our lives. We tend to live according to our natural affections - we like some people and others we don't like. This week I was challenged in this by Matthew 5:39-48."....You have heard that it was said, YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOUR, and hate your enemy. But I say to you love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. Verse 48 ends like this "Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." In the past it suited me to say that my neighbour is my fellow Christian and it is much easier loving my fellow Christian...another thing most of us love to say is "...but I am just a human being, I can't be perfect." In this context "perfect" does not mean sinless or flawless. In this context "to be perfect" means to love those who hate us, and to pray for those who persecute us, and to show kindness to both friend and foe. Perfection here is spiritual maturity which enables a Christian to imitate God in dispensing blessings to everyone without partiality.

This new commandment by Jesus calls us to a higher degree of love: John 13:34 "As I have loved you that you also love one another." The true mark of a Christian is love for others. So the challenge is to work out our perfectness in God's likeness by not just simply doing good. Being friendly and nice to those we like is natural. Being friendly and nice to those not so likable is spiritual and can only be done in the power of the Holy Spirit.

****************************************************************************

Little Shop of Sketches #49. This sketch was for multiple little photos...I put a twist on this sketch in that I used a quilt of different papers from an old Sassafras Lass line as a border and one large photo.

I used a photo of me with Dewan...my soft little marshmallow baby. I would love to encourage all of you who like to work from sketches to do layouts based on the sketch and upload it to the gallery on "Little Shop of Sketches". From time to time Tanya Leigh draws names for prizes.


Today we have a public holiday, Heritage day which is also celebrated as National Braai Day. I am hoping to get a bit of scrapping done. Since starting on my "Journey" of discovery through My Utmost for His highest, scrapping has taken a back seat. On Saturday we are leaving for a week in Plettenberg Bay where we have timeshare in the Beacon Isle Hotel. I am so looking forward to just doing nothing, walking on the beach, reading and eating way too much:)

xoxo

13 comments:

  1. haha....enjoy!!
    LOVE certainly is the key!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your interpretations. When I saw that sketch it looked far too busy for me, but you have worked your magic (again).

    xxx

    such a lesson to be learned in loving your neighbour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ì totally *heart* your background here , Lynette - so perfect with that adorable pic !!!

    tell me about the struggles with the unlovable people in my life !!! too much to bear sometimes !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love what you wrote about concerning loving someone that is hard too. I think we all struggle with that at one time or another.

    And I wanted to thank you for lifting me up in prayer, it meant the world to me that you did that for me!

    I like your sketch a lot! I agree with another poster, that its a really busy sketch but you made it your own and rocked it! :)

    Have a great Thursday!
    E.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a wonderful way of explaining things & its very hard to be like that but I have to try.
    You l/o is great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love is almost always the key for many things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful sketch and beautiful challenge/reminder.
    It is difficult to love those who are hard to love, man, good thing we have JESUS! Thanks for the reminder. That is definitely something to pray more fo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful Lynette. So love the quilted border. Did you do some real sewing here? Lovely pic of you and the grand bambino.
    Hugs
    Desire

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how you used the squares of patterned paper. Adorable baby! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your take on the sketch Lynette. Wow - all that sewing! Way to go girl - your mojo is not gone at all...you are just prioritizing at the moment & that's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. On the other matter...I was dreading our time away (can't say that on my own blog just in case LOL!) but you know it gets easier & easier to do the right thing & just always be pleasant & want the best for those type of relatives if you just start actually doing it...God gives us the grace to do it I think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynette, I love your take on the sketch! It has some amazing details! Love it! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥