Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A life poured out



"He who believes in Me....out of his heart will flow rivers of living water."
(John 7:38)

What Jesus was saying is that : He who believes in Me will have everything he receives escape out of him. His purpose is not the development of a person - His purpose is to make a person exactly like Himself....and Jesus' greatest characteristic is that He poured Himself out to each and every one of us. It is not what we gain...but what He pours through us that really counts. OC states that "God's purpose is not simply to make us beautiful, plump grapes, but to make us grapes so that He may squeese the sweetness out of us. Our spiritual life cannot be measured by success as the world measures it, but only by what God pours through us - and we cannot measure that at all." "He who believes in Me...out of his heart will flow rivers of living water" - and hundreds of other lives will be continually refreshed. now is the time to stop seeking out own satisfaction, and to pour out our lives before Him. Our Lord is asking who of us will do it for Him!"

Key Thoughts: Live to pour out your life to Him! This means quit looking for happiness and concentrate on surrendering yourself in any and all circumstances the Lord puts you in. God filled us with grace so that we might "give it away" to others. To keep it to ourselves only lessen our relationship with the Lord.

  • Are you a juicy plump grape or a dried up raisin?
  • Are you, in fact, "prepared to pour out your life for Him?
If I am totally honest I have to confess that when we went into full time ministry 11 years ago, I was on an incredible spiritual high. Somewhere along the way and busyness of the ministry...works became the overriding feature of my spiritual walk and my relationship with the Lord suffered. I no longer heard His still small voice in the early hours of the morning...It felt as if sometimes I had to be dragged {screaming and kicking} to meeting with him. The zeal was gone...I had lost my first Love. Don't get me wrong...through our works He still did amazing things and many came to know the Lord. NOW I REALISE THAT WE SIMPLY BURNED OUT BECAUSE A LOT OF WHAT WE WERE DOING WERE DONE IN OUR OWN STRENGTH. Something like a dried out bone.....I was continually pouring myself out but I was no longer linked to the Source and was running on empty.

The Lord is however gracious and He loves me {and you}....and He is calling us back to our First Love....and I am saying "Yes Lord....I want to be completely Yours."

Today I am grateful for:

  • the Lord, who remains faithful even when I become faithless.
  • Him giving me my DH...who is my soulmate. We just compliment each other perfectly.
  • Health and His grace in carrying us when we struggle with health issues beyond our control.
  • The spark that I see slowly coming back to DS's marriage.
  • His love that is so great...that we cannot comprehend it.

Please share your heart...I would love to know where you are at.

11 comments:

  1. Your report is very interesting indeed.
    I invite You to see my site http://www.pillandia.blogspot.com
    containing a rich collection of photos of political borders from all the world.
    My gallery of my handicrafts is http://www.pilland.blogspot.com
    Best wishes from an Estonian living in Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that particular bit od OC's book
    (I think I will be saying that a LOT!)

    But ja, Jesus's way is the exact opposite of the way of the world, isn't it?
    Maybe thats why He says something about the Kingdom being taken by forceful men: we have to lierally "swim upstream" and even beyond that, He tells us that we can't even do that, apart from Him.

    How often we forget that our whole lives are miraculous if we belong to Him!

    I think the story about love and works is such a delicate thing that only Christ can orchestrate it.

    The normal way it happens is something like this:
    We love Him so want to serve Him: before we can turn around, we are working so hard (for Him?) that we have little or no time for Him Himself.

    Burnout is the result: merciful really because it brings us back to Him and the reality that the only true and lasting work is what He does Himself through us.

    And yes, Lynette, I wish you lived round the corner from me too.
    Wouldn't that be something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truthfully I would have to say that I am more of a raisin than a plump juicy grape...but maybe that's just how I fell?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I totally loved your post.

    Some days I am a grape and other days I am a raisin.
    I hope the grape days out number the raisin ones!

    But to be real - at the moment, because of work and family committments etc, I am finding the pouring out part difficult. Its not that I am doing things in my own strength, its that I am doing nothing because I have no time.
    Its part of the reason why I want to work half day soon. I would love to focus more on ministry and less on working the 9 to 5!

    And I know work is ministry too...I have tried to convince myself of that often! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it the journal or the study guide that you are using with the book. I see both are available from Kalahari. It seems like something I HAVE to do.
    What I've realised is that the only good in me to give to others is that bit that has been saturated with the love and peace of Christ. I do believe that our hearts belong to God - and only to God.
    Lots of love
    Herlien

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm....somewhere between juicy & dried out...that's me...definitely need to rely on the Lord more & remember that all things will follow instead of the other way round. It's stuff I know but thanks for the reminder to actually do it otherwise I stay a raisin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. there's something i should blog about and this has reminded me. i was "in the flesh" trying to unconditionally love - until i let go of my righteous-indignation and he washed me with so much love it freaked me.

    death to in-the-flesh efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't really tell where I'm at right now..Somehow along the way of my journey, I got lost, and I think I still am.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all your input...what a blessing you are in my life.

    Herlien - it is the study guide.
    Meriel - a lot of the work I have done recently and decisions I have made has been "in the flesh". I have had to do a lot of repenting lately:)

    I have come to a point in my walk...where I don't want to do anything unless He leads...even if He is leading me into difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems like I am at a point in my life that although I have nothing "major" to complain about, nothing seems to be going right! Thanks for posting this today, to remind me to accept my circumstances, no matter what, and be grateful for His richest blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been pressing myself against Gods well, His living Well. Dipping into His living water daily is what keeps me energized and moving in the right direction.I find that when I don't visit the Well daily I begin to dry up and look like the raisin you talk about here.When I am focused on Loving well,it leads seems to lead me towards His Living well every time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥