Pages

Friday, September 4, 2009

His! or entirely His.

Have you decided to join me on my journey? Have you lost your zeal and become complacent in your walk with the Lord? Do you want to climb to higher heights? I welcome you to the adventure in walking through "My Utmost for His Highest". I hope that you will enjoy the journey...sometimes we will travel very slowly in order to make a new discovery our own. I would love you to comment and share your insights with me...that is the only way we can help each other grow.

One of the scriptures for today is from 1 Corinthians 6:19. "You are not your own. For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body." The lesson is relatively clear. The next scripture has always been incredibly hard for me to understand. It is the words of Jesus in Luke 14:26: "If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple." Now, I will be the first to say...impossible....but now consider this (out of the workbook) "Jesus was emphasizing that love for Christ must be so great that all other loves are "hatred" by comparison! No consideration of family ties must ever be allowed to deflect you from a pathway of full obedience to the Lord. Instead of living self-centred lives, we must live Christ-centred lives. Considerations of personal comfort and safety must be subordinated to the task of glorifying Christ and making Him known. There is no half way measure."

This speaks to me very strongly because I have to admit that I do compromise. I think you have come to know just how important my family is to me...and how much I love them...now I must measure my love for the Lord against my love for my family....how does it measure up? The writer makes it clear that if we do put our family first it does not mean that we will not be saved, we are His...but it does mean that we cannot be entirely His.

The Key thoughts: Let NOTHING interfere with your relationship with Jesus Christ. Let the Holy Spirit interpret the nature of God and His plans for your life. Then something to ponder on...to what degree are you surrendered? Have you put all things secondary to serving the Lord? Are you a "perfect delight to Him"?

You remember that I posted about stolen joy a few days ago. I got my answer:) I found this gem in the My Utmost for His Highest workbook:

"Joy is not Happiness. Happiness depends on the circumstances of this world while joy depends on God. Formula: COMPLETE JOY = SURRENDER TO JESUS. Anything less diminishes our joy and the need for happiness increases!" I have come to realise that I can be pretty hard on myself. And if I read this correctly, I realise that I had lost my happiness, not my joy. Happiness is a simple thing...and simple things can make you happy, a pretty dress, the sunshine, the smile of a grandchild. Joy is so much deeper and is found in our communion with the Lord.

Be blessed.

6 comments:

  1. I struggle with that one too, often wonder if I was Abraham would I have offered up my son, not only that would I have been sensitive enough to hear and recognize His voice when He told me to stop and offer up the ram instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 1999, on Good Friday, the Lord told me (and yes, although I didn't hear His voice with my physical ears, it was definite enough for me to say it like that):
    "Lose your self in Me"

    At that time, my answer was: "How Lord?"
    Bad answer!
    but mercifully, some years later, He gave me the same instruction.
    This time my answer was:
    "Yes Lord"
    although I still have NO idea how but I know now that only He can make that happen.

    I believe He just wants us to agree with Him and let Him do what only He can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So precious all that you shared with us Lynette.
    I've definitely joined you.
    Lord there is in everything ,and I
    've lost myself in Him.
    Bless
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love it if Betty (previous commenter) would share her journey into losing herself in Him with us who are still wrestling along that pathway.

    What do you think, Lynette?

    How about it Betty?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stef - I don't think becoming His indeed is something we can do, He has to mould us and make us entirely His.

    Allie - I so love your comment. I have been so busy with my works for Him that somewhere in all the busyness I had somehow lost hearing His voice. I am no longer satisfied with just being His...so I am also saying "Yes Lord" and I have a heart full of anticipation of what He is going to do in me. Somewhat of a mystery and somewhat of an adventure...but oh so exciting!

    Betty - I am with Allie on this...please share with us how you got to a stage of being lost in Him...we all want to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be following your blogs on your journey closely and will be looking out for a copy of the book.

    Lots of love
    Herlien

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥