Pages

Saturday, September 12, 2009

A God shaped hole

I just marvel at how God created us to seek Him. He placed in us a hunger and a thirst for Him something like a God shaped hole in our souls. We have this emptiness and the emptiness creates in us a yearning for Him. Often times we don't know or choose not to know that He is the only one that can fill this emptiness in our lives. We fill it with the things of the world...but no money, no alcohol, no drugs and no person can ever satisfy us. In us will always remain this yearning for Him.

When the things of the world can't fill us, we are easily drawn into alternative religions, cults and the occult...but these things will also leave us empty and even more devastated and alone than before. The hole was designed by God and for Him alone. Once He takes His place in our lives. we know what true peace and joy is and we are never alone again. That reminds me of the scripture in Psalm 42:1 "As the deer pants for the water, so my soul pants for You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God; when shall I come and appear before God?" I found this poem by Dr. Annette M. Parrott that just touches my heart.

A God Shaped Hole

I searched, I waited, I fantasized
Schemes I concocted, plans I devised
Confident I could do my part
To fill that God shaped hole in my heart

I begged, I borrowed and compromised
Revised, disguised and advertised
Pursuing the piece to make me whole
To fill that God sized void in my soul

I went to and fro, up and down
Looked here and there, looked all around
Only finding keys to discontentment and strife
Trying to open the God like lock in my life

I sought aid from strangers, family and friends
They only failed me and could not make amends
I could not understand why a fissure was left
As I tried to fill that God shaped cleft

Oh the chasm that plagued me, the emptiness looming
the hollowness weighing, the vacancy dooming
The cavity persisted, the vacuity followed
As I tried to fill that God fitted hollow

So much time wasted in pursuit
Not following His footsteps, but my ill chartered route
Seeking His hands, yet not His face
Trying to fill that God patterned space

Father please fill this unfilled position

Supply me, occupy me, you're my only ambition
I come to You, Creator, Source of my soul
For only You can fill this God shaped hole.

15 comments:

  1. Just beautiful! Sometimes we need reminders like this! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, you always manage to find just the right images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynette. Thank you once again for this inspiring post. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.
    Hugs
    Desire

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful poem.

    Thank you for sharing it with us.

    you won't forget to send me the link to the club?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful poem and illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pic you chose for this!! Oh, how I love this image and the great reminder it is for us all! There is an awesome song too that would go alone perfect with this truth, it's by Plum here is a link to listen to it on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUOXfzV_VHs

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful poem Lynette...and now I have that "As the deer pants" chorus going off in my brain...

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful and so true! Thanks for sharing this Lynette! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just beautiful! And Kidds Beach looks like a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful post. I am so glad I read this tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The words of the poem is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! And oh so, so, so true!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥