Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Addo Elephant Park

We South Africans easily joke about some real serious issues in our country....but do you know what? I would never even consider giving up on this beautiful country of ours. I can never imagine living anywhere else. Where else is it possible to get up on a Sunday morning and decide: today I want to be in the great OUTDOORS...today I want to do something different. Then get into your car and within less than 30 minutes you are in a huge national park where you see the most awesome creatures of God's creation.

That is just what we did on Sunday morning...it was a glorious day and we needed to get out of the usual routine. DIL is still busy with a course, so we phoned DS and invited him and Leane along...provided we could go with his double cab of course.

These warthogs were the first animals we saw after entering the park. Leane gave them one look, jumped on my lap...pinched her eyes shut and said: "Huistoe, Mamma toe." (she wanted to go home to mommy).

When we came across these three huge male elephants...she screamed! "NO NO NO" and we wondered whether it was such a good idea to visit the park after all.

I had to snap a photo of this huge Kudu. The men felt quite sick when they saw how many kudus are walking around in the park. This weekend they are going to go on their annual "father and son hunt" on my BIL's farm. My SIL always says when the first shot is fired in hunting season all the kudu's disappear and are only seen again after the season is over.
A huge buffalo we found along the road, and I mean HUGE!!!!
Just had to snap this pic that tells you the speed limit is 40 km/h..."speed kills"....just looked so funny next to this massive animal.
We stretched our legs at one of the fenced of picnic spots.Here is the first large group of elephants we came across. There was many young and baby elephants among the group of female elephants. Reminds you a little of a creche.
See how the elephant cows protect the young ones by keeping them in the middle.

Now is that not just the cutest little things?
Needless to say...by the time we got to this herd, Leane had gotten used to the big animals and we had to stop her from hanging out the window to get a better view.

Now don't you think we live in a remarkable, beautiful country...and you fellow South Africans...can you imagine living anywhere else?

xoxo

22 comments:

  1. I don't think we always appreciate just how lucky we are to live in this beautiful country of ours. I would die if I did not see the sun for days and weeks on end. In fact when we go on holiday abroad and come back, I know for sure that I want to be nowhere else on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree, this is the most beautiful place to live:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pics - and ja, I agree: I love living here in spite of our many challenges.

    Can we assume you are feeling a lot better, Lynette?
    I sure hope so.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, amazing photographs!! We are fortunate indeed to have such great wildlife just a jump in the car away!
    I hope you are well & happy!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy your "local" posts. You do live in an amazing area!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fantastic photos! Lucky you to have a game park like that just less than 30 minutes drive away...looks like you certainly made the most of your day out with all the wild animals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome photos.
    Ellies are my favourites too.
    Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic photos, Lynette! I will have to show them to my girls. Especially the ones of the elephants and the buffalo. Love the shot of him by the speed limit sign. I have a feeling that a "slow" buffalo can kill too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pics Lynette..and it is a privelege and a blessing to live in God's country :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely stunning... I'm jealous that you live so close to Addo... it's one of those places I'd love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just gorgeous Lynette. Your pictures and words have given me a whole new outlook on South Africa! In fact, I'd love it visit one day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to have found you thru SITS.
    B E A U T I F U L pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a lot of elephants!

    I saw your comment on SITS and just wanted to stop by and welcome you. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos!

    Just dropping by from SITS to say hi and welcome! Hope you'll pay me a visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! That is amazing! My little Tre would LOVE that he is so into Elephants right now. Beautiful pictures! I am glad to hear you had a great time with family! What great memories to share!~Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have a lovely blog.I follow you.
    I love animals of Africa. Especially elephants.imagine that its an adventure living there.So
    interesting.Great photos !!
    Hope you check out my blog posts at:cutand-dry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I "felt" lost the other day and the first words were: "Where's the mountain?" It is difficult getting lost in CT when you can see the mountain. Love the photos. In all the years we lived in PE I don't think we ever went to Addo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is such a nice fresh breeze reading of a fellow South African who is utterly in love with SA ... nice to see some positiveness for a change. The pic of the huge 'fluffy' buffola is absolutely stunning ... never seen a buffalo in such a way.
    Hugs
    Desire

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your pictures and your place..Thank you very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. growing up in the Philippines, I've seen a bunch of buffalo and I can tell you what...That is a HUGE buffalo

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow! Stunning pics!! We have just come back from mabula. which was awesome. My youngest son (22 months) was also petrified of the warthogs!! I guess when you're that small, warthogs look like the size of rhinos!!
    SA ROCKS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE elephants & to be able to see them in their natural habitat like that is so beautiful! you do live in a amazing place!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥