Pages

Friday, July 31, 2009

Unconditional Love

You would think that after 11 years of being active in a ministry that works with broken and rejected people that one would know just how to handle what comes your way....I was so wrong. This week I realised that I know very little and that I have so much to learn.

A lot of the people that cross our paths are hardened, angry, tough and sometimes more than a little obstinate. They cannot stand people in authority. So often we look at this hard exterior and we judge on what we see, when what we see is only the tip of the iceberg.

We started working with the women in the Mission the past few weeks and the subject was "abuse".
  • Physical abuse
  • Sexual abuse
  • Emotional abuse
  • Mental abuse
  • Verbal abuse
  • Spiritual abuse
Did you know there are so many forms of abuse?
As these women started to share I felt so convicted....I had judged them, saw them as square pegs that did not want to fit into the round holes of society. Some of them are on anti-depressants because they could not cope with their feelings. Others were just hard and angry...real fighters.
It was one of those WOW moment! They did not commit suicide, they did not become schizophrenic...they survived. They became hard, angry and tough and although they needed so much love, these very things kept people from coming close. These were their coping mechanisms. It makes them hard to love and easy to reject. They expect and live in rejection.
The characteristics that we find negative are the very things that kept them alive. Now the task is to love them through their pain, be there for them when they fall apart and teach them to walk with the Lord on the path to wholeness. Unconditional love...the love that does not expect good behaviour, the love that covers all and expects nothing in return...

12 comments:

  1. love your the picture.
    what you say is very true and so much easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as i said when we spoke on wed, being able to be there for these people and nurture them is something i have the greatest respect for you for doing.

    next time i'm in pe i'd love for you to show me around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a hard work..you need a lot of patience dealing with people that are abused and especially those who expect and live in rejection.
    More power to you and God bless..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shayne...I think we will need a morning when you come down again...I would love to show you around the Mission.

    PS: I normally don't talk as much:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this special post and once again made me realise that I should count my blessings every moment of every day. And know that you are such a special person.
    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs
    Desire

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have such admiration for what you're doing Lynette. Never mind if you don't "know it all". God will reveal what you need to know to handle each and every situation as it arise.

    Do you realise what I wise old woman you're going to be one day?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the saying "Be kinder than necessary because everyone is fighting some type of battle"...I have witnessed alot more than the average person - due to living in Zimbabwe during the Nazi regime - & you have hit the nail on the head. So glad you have had the AHA moment. Not many people truly have it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!! This is so beautifully put. Being someone who takes medication for depression, anxiety and hypo mania-I can testify that the love of others and the power of God is the biggest part of healing. The medication is a small piece of the pie.

    God Bless you Lynette. You are making a difference:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and I are involved in some of the very same kind of ministry and so this post really blessed my heart. It is so easy to judge the outside of people and I find myself repenting daily of it. It makes me more aware of what Jesus came to teach us about working on the inside of our minds and hearts. Blessings on you =O) I really think you need a vacation in Seattle sometime soon...=O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post Lynette.
    It really gave me a lot to think about - I specially appreciated your last two paragraphs.
    I am certain that your persistent love and care is penetrating even the hardest of hearts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michelle - I love the idea that one day, by the grace of God, I will be a wise old woman.

    Christine - I wish I can make a tour of your very large country. I would love to meet all my US scrapping and blogging buddies.

    Allie - If you lived in PE, I guarantee you, I would have called you in to help with counseling...you have so much wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I every time spent my half an hour to read this website’s articles every day along with a mug of coffee.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥