Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I surrender all...

I have been incredibly challenged in my personal life in the past few weeks...with my son's marriage being very rocky and Bianca's uncontrolled epilepsy. Allie, I have gone and bought another copy of"My utmost for His hightest" and am working through it again. The piece I worked through this morning had me down memory lane in no time....the whole topic of "total surrender".

It took me back to the time when Kobus and I were asking the Lord to show us what our destiny is in life...and at the same time promising that whatever He says we will do. At the time our thoughts were of buying our own supermarket business and we just wanted His stamp of approval on our plans. That reminds me of what He says in His Word...that His ways are higher than ours and that His thoughts are not ours...we sometimes so easily promise without counting the cost. At the time we knew about all the hardship the people at Vistarus were facing on a daily basis...the Centre was without electricity and water for two months back then.
When the Lord answered it was out of the Word in Mark 10 of the rich young man. I can't tell you what went through my mind when I read this: "And looking at him, Jesus felt a love for him, and said to him, "One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess, and give to the poor and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." I remember clearly how I closed my bible after reading this, convinced that this word was not for me. I mean...I grew up poor as one of six children, surely He knows how much my security means to me. He then took me to Isaiah 45:9. "Woe to the one who quarrels with his Maker - an earthenware vessel among the vessels of earth! Will the clay say to the Potter, 'What are you doing?' Or the thing you are making say, 'He has no hands?' Now, that got my attention... and all I could say was "Lord, Kobus is the head of this home...if this is from You, he will get confirmation from You.

Needless to say, a month later we took over the running of the Centre and God slowly and gently started getting us to let go of our possessions. When He calls you, He calls all that you are and all that you think you own for His purposes. I remember how in those early years we always had the back door of our own possessions, and while that back door was open we did not trust Him to provide. Five years down the line we were no longer the same people that walked into the centre in July 1998...we were forever changed. In those difficult years we tried to make it work in our own strength and when everything we owned were depleted....only then could we start to completely surrender to Him. No amount of worry, no amount of stress would be able to keep this ministry afloat. It was in this time that I began to realise that when God calls, it is usually for something that is humanly impossible to do. That way all honour and glory can only belong to Him. When our finances were gone...the extra vehicles gone....all the trappings of wealth gone....only our home remaining....God started to provide. When we realised that we are weak and totally dependant on Him and started to cling to Him in total surrender...then He came through for us.

Today 11 years down the line....the Mission is blossoming with new reborn life...many lives have been changed. Visitors to the Mission always comment that they can "feel" the love and hope when they walk through the Centre and when they talk to the people. Currently we care and house approximately 500 people and daily we see how God provides in every need. It has become a place of hope, love and the fullness of Him. He has shown us His blessing in providing abundantly above and beyond what we could have ever dream of. His blessing is so abundant that we can now bless other organisations with food and clothing...He is amazing! Oh yes, just in case you wondered...He is blessing us personally as well and I do believe that He has given us back more than what we sowed into this ministry.

Last week when I felt so absolutely devastated by Bianca's epilepsy and my son's marriage He reminded me again....that even in these circumstances...He is in control and I must just surrender it to Him.

xoxo

14 comments:

  1. Hi Lynette. A truly inspiring post. Apart from trusting Him in every aspect of our lives, it also helps to ease pain, by putting it into words, like you have done here. Shared pain, is less pain. Thinking of you. Hugs from Desire

    ReplyDelete
  2. What amazing post, Lynette, you have given me much to think about.
    would you mind if I emailed you?
    If fine, would you leave your address on my blog as this isnt my laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Family situations can be so hard, but sometimes the only thing you can do is keep your head up and keep chugging along. Believe in God and believe in yourself. You are a strong woman who will be able to pull through this. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.
    Best wishes,
    Michele x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You blow me away, girl
    This is a truly inspirational testimony!
    And very humbling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. You are an inspiration.

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Lynette - what an amazing read! Gee I really admire you & wish I had just an ounce of your faith. What a mighty God we serve! I hope that all that thinking made you more positive about the hardships you are facing "today". It is so difficult to see the end from the beginnig & to know His plans for us but with your huge amount of faith I know that the Lord will sort it all out for you ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that you are on the right path. Give it up to Him and He will show you the way. You are so inspiring and amazing.Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful testimony here! I am always amazed at myself when I look back and see how I hold on so tightly to things of this earth when the heavenly things are so much more fulfilling. Thank you for being a blessing to me.=o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so grateful for your comment on my blog that lead me to your blog! Your post is a real inspiration for me too. I struggle a lot to "let go" of my problems. I ask God to help but then hold on to them with a tight grip! I guess it just shows that my faith is still not where it should be - which also makes me "a work in progress"! :) Good luck with all the challenes in your life and I know that even if they don't dissappear over night, God will give you the strenght and peace to cope with it all! God bless!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Lynette- You and your family are in my prayers. I'm so sorry to hear of the things that are going on.

    I have to tell you that your creations are absolutley AMAZING!! And your blog is SO inspirational. Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and leave comments on my blog. You are too kind.
    From one Banana Smoothie to another-wishing you many blessings today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your faith in God is so inspiring and encouraging. I pray that the Lord works his will in your children's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my sweet friend...I'm so sorry for your difficulties...I hope things settle down soon {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome, awesome post! LOVED. I love your heart Lynette.

    Yay for His Highest! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you very much, to each of you, for your encouragement and prayers. I must be honest and say that I was very, very nervous about this post...scared of showing or sharing too much.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥