Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

An Interview with God.

One of those days... with more questions than answers. I was challenged in many areas after reading the book "The Shack". I was challenged in my thinking of what the Trinity is like. I was challenged in what I do...what makes me "good enough". I was challenged in wanting my "free will" and ashamed of what I sometimes do with it. I was challenged in my thinking of why bad things happen to good people. I was challenged in my idea of "vengeance belongs to the Lord"...meaning I can't get even but somehow God will get even for me. I think what challenged me most was the part of the book where God expected Mack to forgive his daughter's murderer so that He (God) could REDEEM the murderer. I think I was totally challenged on God's amazing love for us...how wide and deep this love is.

I came across this and thought I would share it with you...something to think about:

I dreamt I had an interview with God.

"Come in," God said. "So, you would like to interview Me?"
"If you have the time," I said.
God smiled and said: "My time is eternity and is enough to do everything; What questions do you have in mind to ask me?"
"What surprises you most about mankind?"God answered: "That they get bored of being children, are in a rush to grow up, and then long to be children again...
That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health...
That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live neither for the present nor the future...
That they live as if they will never die, and they die as if they had never lived."
God's hands took mine and we were silent for awhile and then I asked... "As a parent, what are some of life's lessons you want your children to learn?"

God replied with a smile: "To learn that they cannot make anyone love them. What they can do is to let themselves be loved...
To learn that what is most valuable is not what they have in their lives, but who they have in their lives...
To learn that it is not good to compare themselves to others.
All will be judged individually on their own merits, not as a group on a comparison basis...
To learn that a rich person is not the one who has the most, but is one who needs the least...
To learn that it only takes a few seconds to open profound wounds in persons we love, and that it takes many years to heal them...
To learn to forgive by practicing forgiveness...
To learn that there are persons that love them dearly, but simply do not know how to express or show their feelings...
To learn that money can buy everything but happiness...
To learn that two people can look at the same thing and see it totally different...
To learn that a true friend is someone who knows everything about them, and likes them anyway...
To learn that it is not always enough that they be forgiven by others, but that they have to forgive themselves."
I sat there for awhile enjoying the moment. I thanked Him for his time and for all that He has done for me and my family, and He replied, "Anytime. I'm here 24 hours a day. All you have to do is ask for me, and I'll answer."


Have you read "The Shack"? How did it impact your life? What is your opinion of the book?
xoxo

10 comments:

  1. I found The Shack to be a spiritual experience rather than just a book.
    The fact that the author never meant it to be published but just wrote it for family makes it all the more special.

    If I tell you that a bought copies for a number of people, perhaps that will say something about its impact on me?

    The list of things you have shared with us is also wonderful.
    Thanks Lynette. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your blog. I enjoyed The Shack, but can't really say how it impacted me, except that I would love to have a dream like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just started reading it - will give u my opinion when i'm done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing these inspirational words with us. It really makes one stop for a moment and think. Hugs from Desire

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allie, I am busy reading the book for the third time and every time I see something new...it is a spiritual journey.

    We have also found that the book has a profound effect on people that had a troubled relationship with their fathers...it is as if they understand the role of God the father in a new way. So in ministry it has become an incredible tool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished reading it a couple weeks ago and it really does change the way you view God, Jesus and the holy Spirit!! whew!!! it is a gooood read and highly recommended!

    anyway! welcome to swirlydoos!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Shack definitely personified the trinity for me in an amazing way. I, like you, was tremendously challenged by God desire for Mack to forgive the murderer in order for his redemption. Hectic. Hectic.

    I loved this post, so much food for thought, I plan to print out this interview so I dont forget these simple, lifechanging truths.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes I have read this book twice now! That book was so well written. I loved how he allowed us to see the father, the Son and the Holy Spirit as one yet alone. I get goose bumps everytime I think about the Chapter called "Here comes the Judge!" And how god came to him at the door as a motherly figure...jsut so much food for for thosught for sure.

    I am reading Gods and Kings right now by Lynn Austin another wow book for sure!

    This post has me dwelling on the Shack again...thank you for sharing this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I am feeling pretty emotional at the moment & dare I say that brought a tear to my eye! Haven't read it but sounds too hectic for me right now. At the moment my daily life is enough of a challenge ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome post Lynette! I read The Shack a few months ago. I loved Papa and how Papa was always changing. It was hard for me to read through the end when he had to forgive the murderer because I honestly just don't think I could do that myself. I mean I tried to think if it was me and I got scared because I wouldn't want to live with that hate in my heart for the rest of my life but I just don't think I could forgive so easily! Anyhow it was a great book and I enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥