Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Word for 2009

I don't believe in New Years resolutions...it usually does not last a day...with me anyway. I have been inspired by my blogging friends to choose a word for 2009. This is inspired by Ali Edwards. I found it incredibly difficult...initially I thought "balance"...to get my life in balance this year. After a load of thought I settled on "LAUGH".

Definition
laugh (laf, läf) intransitive verb
- to make the explosive sounds of the voice, and the characteristic movements of the features and body, that express mirth, amusement, ridicule, etc.
- to be amused
- to feel or suggest joyousness; appear bright and merry laughing eyes.

transitive verb
- to express or say with laughter
- to bring about, effect, or cause to be by means of laughter to laugh oneself hoarse

noun
- the act or sound of laughing
- anything that provokes or is fit to provoke laughter
- Informal mere diversion or pleasure

The work we do on a daily basis is incredibly stressful and working with drug addicts and people with emotional problems can drain you and steal away your joy. I do not laugh nearly as much as I need to. I believe that "laughter is the best medicine". So this is the medicine I want for this year...more joy and more laughter.
I came across this on the internet:

The Sound Of Laughter

The sound of laughter is a thing of beauty for laughter spreads the very gift of joy.
That people they are drawn to happy people is not that hard for to understand why.
Since everybody wishes to be happy and laughter it spreads happiness around.
And only the heartless could not like the sound of laughter for laughter is a very happy sound,
Than laughter there is no more happy feeling laugh and the World laughs with you seems so true.
But if you feel sad and for yourself feeling sorry the saddest person in the World is you.
Even your friends would rather not be with you if they see you as one who worship gloom.
The happy people attract people to them and in their presence happiness does bloom.
The sound of laughter sends out laughter ripples, it is a sound one always loves to hear.
And laughter it gives rise to smiling faces and never fails to fill the cup of cheer.
The sad one who feels comfort in self pity is the one others do not wish to know.
But if you are one who laughs away your worries your friends in numbers seem to grow and grow.
And who could not but love the sound of laughter to it there always is a joyful ring
It seems to send happiness out in ripples it is a joyful and infectious thing.
Francis Duggan
Do you have a word?

10 comments:

  1. Letting Go is my Word(s) ! I need to let go and let God be God....which is much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you picked a great word. Mine was Grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jy kon nie 'n beter woord gekies het nie. Dis iets wat ons almal vergeet of nie aan dink om meer te doen nie. 'LAUGHTER is an INSTANT VACATION' is so waar. Mooi bly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laugh--what a fabulous word to choose! My word for this year is "control".

    ReplyDelete
  5. My word is "Embrace". I want to embrace all the change that will take place in my life this year, I want to embrace the relationships in my family and I want to embrace God's presence in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine is 'delight'. So special to see what everyone else is pursuing this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog. My word for this year is FOCUS. I get distracted way too easily so I hope that by focusing, I will get more control into my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great word Lynette, I'm still thinking about mine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynette, Great choice for your word, love it. I am praying and thinking on mine, as this is the first I have heard of doing this. take care and I wish you lots of laughter in 2009 friend.
    Blessings,
    Lisa in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hiya sweet-pea...I *love* your word..It makes me so happy :)
    I'm still thinking on my word...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥